I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

There has to be a significant component of randomness here.
Despite DW having a strong case of it last April, I never got it. We made no effort to isolate from each other, and we had both gotten the same shots beforehand.

DH got it in April 2020. We slept in the same bed, lived in the same house, and shared the same air. I did not get it. He was terribly sick and COVID was not understood. Few people wore masks or understood aerosol spreading.

I talked to my PCPs nurse and she had the same experience...before vaccinations. She said they have to start studying DNA and its relationship with the immune system and viruses. I'll be long gone before that's figured out.

Last year I nearly died from Covid (delta variant), but Frank didn't catch it from me despite spending most of his waking time with me and not being vaccinated. We told my doctor, and he said that many of his married patients who got it, didn't give it to their spouse.

I can't help but think that we do not know all there is to know about how people get Covid. Actually I think we (including me!) know zippo about it. That said, you won't find me mingling closely with large crowds of dirty coughing strangers. That may or may not help, but I have my limits! :LOL:

Amazing Frank did not catch it. It's clear we're probably just scratching the surface on this one.

I know when I was raising my kids for a period of time I caught all kinds of colds, flu, even pneumonia and wife caught all the same things too.

Maybe some of us have Tcells that are ready to fight this immediately and knock it out. Who knows. Just glad you survived and Frank was okay.

Reactions: W2R
That said, you won't find me mingling closely with large crowds of dirty coughing strangers. :LOL:

Last night on TV I saw an ad with a guy going out skiiing. The ad was for some brand of Extra-Strength Cold & Flu medicine. I found it very disheartening as the explicit message was to not stay home because you had a bad cold or flu. Instead take the concoction being advertised and get there and do your regular activities (and who cares how many others you spread it to).

Seems like we've learned nothing from covid.

Last night on TV I saw an ad with a guy going out skiiing. The ad was for some brand of Extra-Strength Cold & Flu medicine. I found it very disheartening as the explicit message was to not stay home because you had a bad cold or flu. Instead take the concoction being advertised and get there and do your regular activities (and who cares how many others you spread it to).

+1 People just seem to have no sense any more. Either that, or I'm old fashioned about these things.

Is advertising going to encourage you to do things that are bad for your health, and other people’s health? Yes, if it sells their product.

Advertising has often encouraged poor behavior.

My symptoms started 6 days ago. For the most part, my symptoms are gradually going away. I never developed a fever. My temperature got as high as 99.4 degrees, but that's not really even a fever. It returned to normal (or below) levels 3 days ago. I had a day or two where sneezing was pretty common, but that seems to have ended yesterday. I never developed a sore throat, thankfully. I find that the most bothersome when I have a bad one. I had, at best, a scratchy throat for a day or so. Right now, my only remaining symptom is bit of a cough with a small amount of chest congestion. Sometimes it will take 3 or 4 coughs to bring up the congestion. But all things considered, I'm only coughing every hour or so.

I took another self-test this morning, and I still test positive. So, while the CDC says I'm permitted outside of my house wearing a strong mask because my symptoms are improving and it's been 6 days since symptoms started and I have not fever, I choose to remain isolated. I will likely isolate until I have the 2 negative tests 48 hours apart called for by the CDC to remove the mask. Hopefully by the weekend.

I should add that I have had 4 Pfizer shots total. I had my last booster on May 30th. The only medications I have taken are a few Hall's cough drops. I took NyQuil on my first night after my first test, just in case my symptoms got worse during the night, but they didn't.

I came down with Covid on July 31, 2022. Assume it was Omicron 5. I had scratchy throat and sinus drainage. The next day and a half I had a a headache and muscle aches all over. No fever and no chills or night sweats. Only medicine I took were six baby aspirin. On day four I felt much better. Isolated in basement for 8 days. Did not test negative until around day twelve as I recall. DW never got it. I have only had the original J & J vaccine in April, 2021. DW has never had vaccine.

Is advertising going to encourage you to do things that are bad for your health, and other people’s health? Yes, if it sells their product.

Advertising has often encouraged poor behavior.

That's putting it mildly!:dance:

+1 I saw the same or similar ad and had the same thoughts.
+1 People just seem to have no sense any more. Either that, or I'm old fashioned about these things.
+1 You were correct with the first sentence. I stopped trusting people to have any sense in 1967 when I took my first Logic class in college.

Cheers!

I got COVID about 2 weeks ago for the first time. Spread like wildfire through the family after a teen brought it home from school. Despite best efforts, everyone got it --grandparents, parents, kids, including one less than a year old. Everyone recovered quickly with mild head cold symptoms.

Last year I nearly died from Covid (delta variant), but Frank didn't catch it from me despite spending most of his waking time with me and not being vaccinated. We told my doctor, and he said that many of his married patients who got it, didn't give it to their spouse.

I can't help but think that we do not know all there is to know about how people get Covid. Actually I think we (including me!) know zippo about it. That said, you won't find me mingling closely with large crowds of dirty coughing strangers. That may or may not help, but I have my limits! [emoji23]
I had it during a date weekend away. No kids for first time in a looong time. We were kissing and doing all the things married couples do when away from kids for a weekend.

I tested positive the night we returned from our trip. DW never tested positive. In fact never had any symptoms. I was surprised. My daughter and father who were both near me for over 30 minutes both also tested positive after me. My DF had much worse symptoms then I did and I felt like crap for 3 to 4 days. By the 4th day I was up and at it doing honey do list stuff again. My dads lingered for about 2 weeks.

Ymmv

Even at the very beginning, they talked about "symptom-less Covid". I believe I had a SARS virus 5 years ago... I have not taken any mRNA shots and neither has DH. We have not had Covid. DH does have O-Neg blood, which was early on suspected to have some type of preventative effect. We both trust our own miraculous immune systems.

My 8 month old grand child brought it home from day care and gave it to DS and DDIL. All three of them recovered quickly. That was almost a month ago, with no lingering problems.

Extended family shared the virus over a dinner last week. A few days of misery, much less so after taking Advil. Quad vaxed. Pretty much every cold and flu symptom you can imagine.

So nobody who's been vaxxed has experienced long COVID with Omicron? I haven't caught COVID yet, but my only concern is long COVID and cognitive stuff including Alzheimer's.

I am vaccinated and boostered, and I have some type of long Covid--or so I believe. I had Covid this summer. Symptoms were a very bad cold--sore throat, congestion, cough. And odd headache. I am still experiencing odd (for me) headaches/migraines. They wake me up at night, and my doctor and I have concluded that they are "hypnic" headaches. The solution, equally oddly, is to take some caffeine--a cup of coffee--an hour or so before bed. I also got a cervical pillow to elevate my head correctly. So far these two things have worked. I had never gotten hypnic headaches before Covid so I am just connecting the dots here...

The solution, equally oddly, is to take some caffeine--a cup of coffee--an hour or so before bed. I also got a cervical pillow to elevate my head correctly. So far these two things have worked. I had never gotten hypnic headaches before Covid so I am just connecting the dots here...

Caffeine has always been a good antidote for migraines- migraines result in increased blood flow to the brain and caffeine is a vasoconstrictor.

I hope your symptoms go away over time!

Thank you Athena. I've had migraines all my life, but only occasionally and I've never needed prescription medicine for them. These middle of the night headaches (evidently they are not technically migraines) are a new thing though. I've done a lot of online searching and it's verified that post-Covid headaches/migraines often get worse in those subject to migraines in general. I have to say that the simple solution of a cup of coffee before bed is amazing given the intensity and frequency of these headaches! And I sleep just fine even after that caffeine burst, another oddity.

Marita40--
sorry you are experiencing some long covid symptoms, but it sounds like you are able to control them

Thank you Athena. I've had migraines all my life, but only occasionally and I've never needed prescription medicine for them. These middle of the night headaches (evidently they are not technically migraines) are a new thing though. I've done a lot of online searching and it's verified that post-Covid headaches/migraines often get worse in those subject to migraines in general. I have to say that the simple solution of a cup of coffee before bed is amazing given the intensity and frequency of these headaches! And I sleep just fine even after that caffeine burst, another oddity.

It's vascular disregulation. Migraine type headaches are a common issue. Caffeine seems to improve vascular regulation. Fingers crossed you get no other symptoms!

DW and I had Covid for the first time in May, pretty mild for of us, thanks to 2 vaccines and a booster. We both also got the new booster last month, while getting annual flu shots.

We’ve continued to wear masks for most public indoors, because why not? Covid won’t kill us but that doesn’t mean we want to get it. I am not judging those who don’t wear masks at all.

However, we’re noticing mask wearing has become VERY rare. Went to a play a few nights ago, so thousands of people together in a theater - and I’d guess less than 5% wore masks. To each his own, I’m sure we’ll decrease masks in time as well.

DW and I had Covid for the first time in May, pretty mild for of us, thanks to 2 vaccines and a booster. We both also got the new booster last month, while getting annual flu shots.

We’ve continued to wear masks for most public indoors, because why not? Covid won’t kill us but that doesn’t mean we want to get it. I am not judging those who don’t wear masks at all.

However, we’re noticing mask wearing has become VERY rare. Went to a play a few nights ago, so thousands of people together in a theater - and I’d guess less than 5% wore masks. To each his own, I’m sure we’ll masks in time as well.

+1 My wife and I took our first vacation in about 4 yrs. We went to the mountains for a few days to hike and attend a Bellamy Brothers concert (indoors). Even though we have been vaccinated (2) and boosted (2) and had the bivalent boost (all Moderna) we wore masks going inside the hotel or anytime we were going to be around people and only ate at places with outdoor seating (a bit chilly at times). There were a few thousand at the indoor concert but we were the only people with masks. Hiking the Appalachian Trail was the highlight (no mask of course). We don't mind wearing the masks when around other people and like tmm99 our concern is long Covid and cognitive deterioration. We don't want to spend the remaining years unable to enjoy them. There aren't that many left.

Cheers!

Last edited:

However, we’re noticing mask wearing has become VERY rare. Went to a play a few nights ago, so thousands of people together in a theater - and I’d guess less than 5% wore masks. To each his own, I’m sure we’ll decrease masks in time as well.
Wife and I came down with it for the first time in June. Very mild and if not for the loss of sense of smell might have thought minor cold (winter where we live) tested negative very quickly too….

But now months later feeling a bit of brain fog setting in which is new.

Flew home from the States recently and maybe 2% of the people on the plane wore masks. Maybe 20% of the crew wore them during the boarding bur once most were asleep the staff took them off. I am regularly the only one wearing a mask but we have a 2 month old grandson and not about to take chances

Still wearing masks around other people indoors. Outdoors no masks. We’re not around many people other than shopping/errands. We do a lot of outdoors stuff and pretty much eat at home or picnics. Have traveled extensively though this year - mostly long road trips in recent months. Last flight was in March when masking was required in planes and airports.

Fortunately, knock on wood!, have not been infected yet.

Back
Top Bottom