Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2022, 05:48 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I came out of London the other week testing negative. 2 days later I had a sore throat and incessant coughing for 3 weeks--with laryngitis. But I had a sense of taste. Don't know if it was Covid (again) or a case of the flu.

Hope the young man gets well soon.
I had this exact thing in June, four negative Covid tests, but very unpleasant.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

In our group of friends/ relatives, most husbands & wives both caught Covid.

Except my niece. Her husband caught it - he sequestered himself in the bedroom for a week. She stayed in a different room. Just left food outside his door. He never left his room, but their 2 year old made several visits to his father. (he can't be controlled). The 2 year old didn't get it, nor did his brother and sister or my niece.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:38 AM   #63

DW and I are both fully vax'd and twice boosted. Both of us have been lucky to not had Covid since the beginning, up until now. We spent the last week with DS and his family. Came home on Monday, an 8+ hr drive. DW wasn't feeling well when we got home so decided to take the home test. BINGO! I tested and it was negative. We immediately separated on 2 levels of the house. On Wednesday, I had a stuffed head and some post-nasal. Tested myself and I too was positive. CDC says 5 days isolation, then 5 days in public with a mask. After that if no fever for 24hrs without using NSAIDs, and symptoms are either gone or improving then we are free to go out in public without a mask. I'm not sure that I agree with dropping the mask at that point. Maybe the infectious level is extremely low at that point. CDC says 2 days before and 2 days after symptoms appear are the highest chance of transmitting to someone else. I read that about 50% of those who went thru the 10-day routine still test positive with the home antigen test. DW and I are currently spending our days together. We are sleeping in different rooms for the time being.

DS and family are still fine. Other than stuffy heads and postnasal, our symptoms were non-existent.

I heard that military members who tested positive and went through the 5-day isolation were then required to return to work with a mask for the next 5 days.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

H and I did not get Covid from D2 when we all rode 12 hours in a car together to Utah to ski in December. D2 did not get sick until after we were there a couple of days and then tested positive.

H and I did get Covid about a month after that in January. Neither of us were sick more than 2 days. We are both vaccinated and boosted.
lajolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:07 AM   #65

Just tested positive.

Symptoms started Sunday afternoon. Had tested negative on Saturday since I planned to visit my 95 yo step mom. Visited her Sunday, felt fine. Later the symptoms hit.

Tested negative yesterday, positive today.

We assume everyone in the house will get it.

Bad chest cold symptoms. Have a telehealth appt this afternoon. Plan to ask for paxlovid. DH said my breathing last night was "bad".

And here I thought I'd avoid getting covid since I mask and use precautions.

I really hope I didn't give it to step mom.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:21 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Just tested positive.

Symptoms started Sunday afternoon. Had tested negative on Saturday since I planned to visit my 95 yo step mom. Visited her Sunday, felt fine. Later the symptoms hit.

Tested negative yesterday, positive today.

We assume everyone in the house will get it.

Bad chest cold symptoms. Have a telehealth appt this afternoon. Plan to ask for paxlovid. DH said my breathing last night was "bad".

And here I thought I'd avoid getting covid since I mask and use precautions.

I really hope I didn't give it to step mom.
Hope you are OK. How is the 95 year old? Has she been tested? I would be concerned about her. My 90 year old mom had Covid in February and has never fully recovered. She has been in a brain fog. I wonder if the doctor would prescribe paxlovid to the 95 year old prophylactically?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #67

I just let her daughter know since I know she's going there today. Step mom is on hospice so I doubt they'd do anything besides oxygen. Apparently this is not her first possible exposure.

Fingers crossed that my mask was enough.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I just let her daughter know since I know she's going there today. Step mom is on hospice so I doubt they'd do anything besides oxygen. Apparently this is not her first possible exposure.

Fingers crossed that my mask was enough.

That is such cruel timing, I am so, so sorry!

I feel like this current surge is such that there is nowhere to hide unless we quite literally hide.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #69

My son went back to work on Monday, only 4 days of, corp policy is 5 days off, mask for 5 days, so he pushed it. When he got back to work, he found many were at home with Covid.
So far 6 days in wife and I are fine.
An interesting and a little scary, for the last 6 months I have had some raised white blood cell count and high Absolute Lymphocytes. I think both of these help fight against viruses, so 'maybe' this helps. I've recently been to a Hematologist and had more specific tests. My rheumatoid factor is quite high, probably explaining my shoulder, elbow, and knee pain. I'm over all but the knee pain for now, and even the knee pain is much better now. I have to wait 5 weeks to get the docs input. In the initial visit he gave me 5 possibilities, the scariest some type of Leukemia. He did add, "that's a wait and watch type".
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #70

Good news about your son, Time2
Old 07-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
My son went back to work on Monday, only 4 days of, corp policy is 5 days off, mask for 5 days, so he pushed it. When he got back to work, he found many were at home with Covid.
So far 6 days in wife and I are fine.
An interesting and a little scary, for the last 6 months I have had some raised white blood cell count and high Absolute Lymphocytes. I think both of these help fight against viruses, so 'maybe' this helps. I've recently been to a Hematologist and had more specific tests. My rheumatoid factor is quite high, probably explaining my shoulder, elbow, and knee pain. I'm over all but the knee pain for now, and even the knee pain is much better now. I have to wait 5 weeks to get the docs input. In the initial visit he gave me 5 possibilities, the scariest some type of Leukemia. He did add, "that's a wait and watch type".

I'm really glad you apparently dodged Covid but after reading this your son's attitude is even more puzzling to me. Hope your tests come out OK.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:35 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm really glad you apparently dodged Covid but after reading this your son's attitude is even more puzzling to me. Hope your tests come out OK.

Yep, still in the wait and see mode.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

Come to the realization that no matter the social distancing, vaccination and/or masking precautions you take you will get it sooner or later. The move on and live your life.
TrophyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Covid19
Old 07-19-2022, 04:05 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Covid19

As someone who has been judged as overly precautions and having had all the available vaccinations, I tested positive beginning of July and wife shortly thereafter.

As others have said, your son needs to demonstrate extreme consideration for you and others loved ones. He and you should wash hands frequently, clean surfaces often and you should proactively discuss with your pvp anti viral options and timeframes should you become ill. My wife tested positive a couple of days after I did, and that is with strict isolation after I tested positive .

If it's any consolation, 48-72 hours of flu like symptoms followed by prolonged dry, unproductive cough are frequent symptoms.

Being prepared with all necessary regular medications, food and non alcoholic beverages are part of good emergency preparedness; also consider download a book or movie...not that you will necessarily read or watch, but as a distraction.

Hope your son recovers quickly and fully and you stay well yourself.
FargoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My 28 yr old son that lives with us, got home after work yesterday, and said he had a sore throat. He took his temp and it was slightly elevated, I had an expired test on hand and it showed a very weak but positive test result. I picked up a new fresh test and it now is a definite positive. Gave him Vitamin D, Zinc and Vitamin C. Now just hoping I don't get it at 67 yrs old.
He said he feels better today, but he wasn't all that sick yesterday, I hope that continues. Any suggestions other than stay away, We are in a 1600 sq ft house and he won't stay in his room, nor would I. Our separate computers are 6ft apart, and we spend much time there. I'm hoping my immune system just keeps it at bay, any other suggestions?
You are not following the proven ones like isolation (not that I blame you), so you might as well take what you get. Everyone wash their hands alot. He was probably contagious for a few days before the symptoms hit.
Oakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I tested negative 4 times over 5 days after my bride tested positive. We immediately separated in our 1600 square foot home but the air circulates everywhere.

I was feeling worse each day.

We are both over 60 and diabetic so doctor recommended Paxlovid. It left a nasty aftertaste but we were able to proceed with our cross country trip after a week delay.

The good news is we were “treated” by phone and never got close to feeling the need to seek ER help.
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Prevention Protocol
Old 07-19-2022, 05:33 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

Prevention Protocol

I followed this protocol after exposure from a COVID positive household member. I haven’t caught COVID yet despite numerous exposures - knock on wood!

https://covid19criticalcare.com/covi...tion-protocol/
LooRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:42 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

I know a couple people that have had Covid and lived with others, including my son living in an apartment 1/2 the size of your house, and sharing a bathroom. Everyone masked while in the common areas (outside their own bedroom) and it did not spread. It's certainly no guarantee but it didn't sound that hard to do and with the current guidelines I think it only needs to be done for about 1 week.
winyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

He's 28, lives with you, and can't be bothered to take steps to keep you safe?

1) Tell him to isolate.
2) Suggest he uses his time to look online for his own apartment.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:46 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My 28 yr old son that lives with us, got home after work yesterday, and said he had a sore throat. He took his temp and it was slightly elevated, I had an expired test on hand and it showed a very weak but positive test result. I picked up a new fresh test and it now is a definite positive. Gave him Vitamin D, Zinc and Vitamin C. Now just hoping I don't get it at 67 yrs old.
He said he feels better today, but he wasn't all that sick yesterday, I hope that continues. Any suggestions other than stay away, We are in a 1600 sq ft house and he won't stay in his room, nor would I. Our separate computers are 6ft apart, and we spend much time there. I'm hoping my immune system just keeps it at bay, any other suggestions?
Wow is all I can say.

So your son does not care about your health or he does not believe in science?

You have already been exposed so good luck and call your doc if you get it and don’t ask people on the internet what to do.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote