Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #321

Heard an interesting story today. One of DW's friends told her about their mother who, in her words, "never had a sick day in her life." She had never even seen the inside of a hospital until two months ago when she got Covid.

Wound up in the hospital, and they were able to deal succesfully with the Covid, but then it was just one thing after another. Not that unusual for an older person to be diagnosed with multiple problems after being admitted, but there were quite a few things in this case.

She finally died, nearly two months into her hospital stay, from the "complications." Only 102 years old!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 03:12 PM   #322
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm 11 days post initial symptoms and I am now having a significant increase in coughing. Anyone else have increased coughing this far after infection? Only other symptom still active is congestion.
Yes, a deep wet cough for much longer than expected was my main symptom actually.

Started off with high fever, and wet cough. Tested positive the morning of Sept 8th while on vacation. Fully vaxxed, btw.

Was given the monoclonal antibody treatment in Fairbanks AK the same day. Felt better, no fever within 24 hours, but the cough persisted.

Once home, went to my family doc on Sept 15th because the cough hadn't improved at all. He prescribed antibiotics after listening to my chest.
It wasn't until Sept 25th that I could lay flat on my back without having a wet gagging cough.

I would suggest seeing a PCP about a possible scrip for antibiotics.

Best of luck to you.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #323
Dryer sheet wannabe

DH and I got Covid after returning from a week's cruise to Caribbean. Thank goodness symptoms appeared after we're back home, not at sea. Started having symptoms the day we returned (1/14). Tested positive the same night, and went to clinic nearby the next day (1/15) and we were given Paxlovid and steroid to reduce inflammation in our chest and upper respiratory.

Symptoms: body aches, chills, fever, really bad cough (saw stars every time we coughed!), headache, ear ache (for hubby), and extreme fatigue.

By day 2 of Paxlovid, the worst of the symptoms were gone. By day 4 of Paxlovid, Covid gone (tested negative). But the fatigue is still here (3 days after completing Paxlovid and still Covid free). I also still break into cold sweats in the afternoon for no good reason. And our taste bud is still off although not as bitter as when we were still taking the Paxlovid.

I heard the fatigue may linger for 2 weeks after recovery - so we still have another week to go. I hate this!
Popsicletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #324
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rebound. Yes, I did the Paxlovid thing. Yes, fully vaxxed. Stuffy sinus is my only symptom. This is day 9 since my original positive test, which was done before any symptoms.

Yes, I caught it from DW who caught it from DGS.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #325

Wife and I both tested positive this morning. She feels like she has a cold, I feel like a weird flu. Had crazy racing thoughts all night and didn't sleep at all.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:11 AM   #326
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Rebound. Yes, I did the Paxlovid thing. Yes, fully vaxxed. Stuffy sinus is my only symptom. This is day 9 since my original positive test, which was done before any symptoms.

Yes, I caught it from DW who caught it from DGS.

This is apparently the issue with several of the new Covid strains you can be positive and a carrier before you even feel sick..
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:22 AM   #327
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This is apparently the issue with several of the new Covid strains you can be positive and a carrier before you even feel sick..
I'd bet it's false positive test results and they don't want to admit it. But then, it's not worth the risk to ignore a positive test result and really, what do I know.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:27 AM   #328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Wife and I both tested positive this morning. She feels like she has a cold, I feel like a weird flu. Had crazy racing thoughts all night and didn't sleep at all.
Sounds like a normal night to me! Just kidding, hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-25-2023, 02:32 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I have never had Covid although a few nights a week I may wake up in the middle of the night (our cats may instigate some of that). I try to get back to sleep but for an hour I sometimes have short weird thoughts flipping though my head. As soon as I get one of them expelled another takes it's place. Some are disturbing while others are nonsense. I chalk it up to an over active imagination or stress. I would hate to think what it would be like to compound it with Covid.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:35 PM   #330
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I have never had Covid although a few nights a week I may wake up in the middle of the night (our cats may instigate some of that). I try to get back to sleep but for an hour I sometimes have short weird thoughts flipping though my head. As soon as I get one of them expelled another takes it's place. Some are disturbing while others are nonsense. I chalk it up to an over active imagination or stress. I would hate to think what it would be like to compound it with Covid.

Cheers!
This is why I started playing music in my head in the middle of the night.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:16 PM   #331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This is why I started playing music in my head in the middle of the night.
Oh that's a good idea! I usually end up browsing the internet and telling myself that if I really needed sleep, I'd be sleeping... which works until I fall asleep and don't want to get up.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:59 PM   #332
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm 11 days post initial symptoms and I am now having a significant increase in coughing. Anyone else have increased coughing this far after infection? Only other symptom still active is congestion.

Yes, what you describe is common with this covid variant. It'll slowly get better and you'll be back to normal.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:24 PM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh that's a good idea! I usually end up browsing the internet and telling myself that if I really needed sleep, I'd be sleeping... which works until I fall asleep and don't want to get up.
It’s relaxing and helps distract the mind.

Actually what I started with was playing my piano pieces in my head. Then it eventually became more general music.

But the funny thing is that these days, a few years later, music is spontaneously playing in my head most of the day! Not so much at night anymore.

Sort of like going through life with a soundtrack. Which I actually don’t mind.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:22 AM   #334

Day 21 since I first tested positive. No issues with the exception of slight sinus drainage and accompanying intermittent residual cough. Still mask up anytime I go out of the house and will be around strangers. Still doing daily home exercises even when I first came down with covid. Two miles on the bike, three miles walking, stretching, weight lifting and planking. Upside, I have dropped three pounds since the first of the month.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:58 AM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Day 21 since I first tested positive. No issues with the exception of slight sinus drainage and accompanying intermittent residual cough. Still mask up anytime I go out of the house and will be around strangers. Still doing daily home exercises even when I first came down with covid. Two miles on the bike, three miles walking, stretching, weight lifting and planking. Upside, I have dropped three pounds since the first of the month.
Are you still testing positive?
Old 01-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Are you still testing positive?
Tested positive Saturday and will probably test again today. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Just got my first negative test in 21 days today.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:50 AM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Tested positive Saturday and will probably test again today. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Just got my first negative test in 21 days today.
I am like you in that I only had slight sinus congestion. Did the Paxlovid early., Now symptom is gone but here I am on day 15 testing positive. I hope that I don't go 21 days. I caught it from DW who is now fine and keeping her distance.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:20 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It’s relaxing and helps distract the mind.

Actually what I started with was playing my piano pieces in my head. Then it eventually became more general music.

But the funny thing is that these days, a few years later, music is spontaneously playing in my head most of the day! Not so much at night anymore.

Sort of like going through life with a soundtrack. Which I actually don’t mind.

I have a soundtrack in my head all the time. It’s often music I have recently practiced or performed. Snippets mostly.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:12 AM   #339

My throat started to have a tinkering feeling 3 days ago. Yesterday, I started to cough a little. Now the throat is painful to swallow and I could not talk.

My temperature is normal and I have no other symptoms. I did 2 rapid tests already and all negative. Wife said I might just have a bad cold and not Covid. We will see how it goes.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #340
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had Covid and rebound Covid over Christmas. The symptoms were mild both times. Temperature of 99.6 and fatigue for about 12 hours. About the same thing on the rebound except that instead of fatigue I had an upset stomach.
Sometime Soon is offline   Reply With Quote