Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 01:59 AM   #181
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Our son has recently been in hospital with Covid and tomorrow is scheduled to have his first Covid vaccine dose. I’ll let folks know what side effects he gets.
He received the AZ vaccine jab yesterday and his only side effect today is a sore arm. At the center they told him that it had been long enough since he’d had Covid for a vaccination to not be a problem.

We met him outside the clinic which he had walked to, and went for a coffee afterwards then onto a shop looking for a new gas fire. In all he must have walked over 2 miles and was pretty tired when he got back home but recovered quickly enough (the last section is about a half mile uphill coming back). He reckons he is ready to move to 40 hours working from home but will delay a week just to be sure. He doesn’t seem to have any symptoms left at all now, so is hopeful that long Covid is not going to be an issue.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 03:30 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Very glad to hear about your son's progress, Alan! Thanks for all the updates.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:10 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He received the AZ vaccine jab yesterday and his only side effect today is a sore arm. At the center they told him that it had been long enough since he’d had Covid for a vaccination to not be a problem.

We met him outside the clinic which he had walked to, and went for a coffee afterwards then onto a shop looking for a new gas fire. In all he must have walked over 2 miles and was pretty tired when he got back home but recovered quickly enough (the last section is about a half mile uphill coming back). He reckons he is ready to move to 40 hours working from home but will delay a week just to be sure. He doesn’t seem to have any symptoms left at all now, so is hopeful that long Covid is not going to be an issue.
This is wonderful news!.

My son, about the same age as your son, and very fit, said that it took about two months for his lungs to recover. (He was not as ill as your son.) In his infinite wisdom, he decided to self treat, laid up at home) and didn't tell us until after the fact.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:53 AM   #184
Administrator

Very good news, Alan.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #185
Dryer sheet wannabe

Two wks and 6 days since JnJ vaccine. Did have sweats 38 hrs after injection but since then all is well, 2 Motrin and doing well.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #186
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Talked to my sister last night, she got the first Pfizer vaccine, two weeks later she got Covid. Three weeks after she had no symptoms, the health dept. said she could and did get the second shot.
A couple weeks later, another employee after a few weeks having had both her shots, got Covid. Some random bad luck there!
Old 06-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

But being exposed to the virus has nothing to do with being vaccinated. So I would say the opposite is true in that they were lucky to have been vaccinated just before exposure.

If anything I am expecting more exposure to the virus now everyone is out and about, but importantly being vaccinated hopefully means no bad symptoms.

Looking forward to a mask free gym soon. Ugh cant breath
Old 06-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm fully vaccinated but still first thing I do when arriving at home is still head out to the bathroom to wash my hands and face.

At least now I don't think like I'm gonna die if I don't wash, but the thought of still maybe having somehow exposed is enough to still wash. A good habit anyway, covid or no covid.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
But being exposed to the virus has nothing to do with being vaccinated.
Not sure why you think I said that it did.

Quote:
So I would say the opposite is true in that they were lucky to have been vaccinated just before exposure.
We agree on that.

Quote:
If anything I am expecting more exposure to the virus now everyone is out and about, but importantly being vaccinated hopefully means no bad symptoms.

More exposure and more unvaccinated getting Covid, I guess that's one way to get closer to herd immunity.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

The vaccines prevent you from getting really sick and significantly decrease the possibility of being contagious. It actually behaves like the polio vaccine.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #191

Pfizer, hands down. J & J, not so much.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm fully vaccinated but still first thing I do when arriving at home is still head out to the bathroom to wash my hands and face.

At least now I don't think like I'm gonna die if I don't wash, but the thought of still maybe having somehow exposed is enough to still wash. A good habit anyway, covid or no covid.
Same here. I agree it's not the worst habit to have.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
Old 06-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

When I get home from anywhere I take off my shoes and go directly to wash my hands. I've always done this, doesn't everybody?
Old 06-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
When I get home from anywhere I take off my shoes and go directly to wash my hands. I've always done this, doesn't everybody?
I always wash my hands first thing when I get home--did that long before Covid (usually din't mess with shoes, I have to wear shoes indoors due to foot arthritis). The other thing I have always done after returning home from an indoor crowd is use my nettie pot, really reduces the number of sinus infections I get.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I always wash my hands first thing when I get home--did that long before Covid (usually din't mess with shoes, I have to wear shoes indoors due to foot arthritis). The other thing I have always done after returning home from an indoor crowd is use my nettie pot, really reduces the number of sinus infections I get.
It's not like other viruses and bacteria will magically go away when we get the jabs for COVID, so yeah, I will keep on washing my hands as before. One bonus of wearing a mask during the pandemic, however, was that the mask didn't just keep COVID out; it kept other viruses out as well. Of course, I can't live like that for the rest of my life, but it was a nice bonus.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

J&J quality control is apparently not up to scratch. Makes one wonder about other J&J products.

It is not a vaccine that I would be willing to shoot into my arm.

Fortunately we had lots of Pfizer available.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
It's not like other viruses and bacteria will magically go away when we get the jabs for COVID, so yeah, I will keep on washing my hands as before. One bonus of wearing a mask during the pandemic, however, was that the mask didn't just keep COVID out; it kept other viruses out as well. Of course, I can't live like that for the rest of my life, but it was a nice bonus.
Why can't you continue wearing a mask indefinitely? I plan to wear a mask in crowded indoor places during cold and flu season forever. I have really enjoyed not having any colds, etc for the last 18 months. I have a KN95 mask that offers a lot of protection but is comfortable to wear. People in other countries routinely wear masks in public during flu season, I plan to do the same. I had the flu 3 years ago (even though I had the flu vaccine) and I was sick for a couple of months, don't want to go through that again.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Why can't you continue wearing a mask indefinitely? I plan to wear a mask in crowded indoor places during cold and flu season forever. I have really enjoyed not having any colds, etc for the last 18 months. I have a KN95 mask that offers a lot of protection but is comfortable to wear. People in other countries routinely wear masks in public during flu season, I plan to do the same. I had the flu 3 years ago (even though I had the flu vaccine) and I was sick for a couple of months, don't want to go through that again.
I probably won't wear a mask unless I'm travelling, but I live in Canada and the mask made my face toasty warm outdoors during the winter months. I used to have to bundle up with a big bulky wool scarf around my neck, but the mask actually worked better.

Yep, KN95 masks are pretty comfortable.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I especially liked the mask when I was out walking in the winter and also it helped my allergies during spring pollen season.
Closed Thread