J&J vs Moderna/Pfizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our son has recently been in hospital with Covid and tomorrow is scheduled to have his first Covid vaccine dose. I’ll let folks know what side effects he gets.

How is doing? Glad he is getting vaccinated...what do they set as the minimum time lapse between positive Covid and getting vaccinated.

Our son has recently been in hospital with Covid and tomorrow is scheduled to have his first Covid vaccine dose. I’ll let folks know what side effects he gets.

So glad Jeffrey is now able to get vaccinated!

How is doing? Glad he is getting vaccinated...what do they set as the minimum time lapse between positive Covid and getting vaccinated.

He is doing unbelievably well. Working 20 hours a week from home, walking further and further from his house to build up his strength. We live in a very hilly town so just walking has been a challenge.

From the NHS website,

Should people who have already had COVID-19 get vaccinated?

Yes, they should get vaccinated. There is no evidence of any safety concerns from vaccinating individuals with a past history of COVID-19 infection, or with detectable COVID-19 antibody so people who have had COVID-19 disease (whether confirmed or suspected) can still receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

You can have the vaccine 28 days after you had a positive test for COVID-19 or 28 days after your symptoms started, so you may need to wait.

He first had Covid symptoms March 29 and positive test March 30. He was declared Covid free at least a week before he was well enough to be discharged from hospital. I expect he will be asked again about his Covid history at the appointment. He told them of his history when they called him to invite him to book so I expect and hope he will be just fine.

:dance: Two weeks today since Moderna #2! :dance:

I know right, I felt elevated after I got my second shot also. I haven't really changed my activities, but did attend a party this weekend with about ten people without much thought about it. A few had, had Covid, some lived with a person with Covid and didn't get a shot others were just young, and it just recently became available to them. I might add I struck out 8 times in the computer lottery, so maybe finally getting it added to the delight!:dance:

He received the AZ vaccine jab yesterday and his only side effect today is a sore arm. At the center they told him that it had been long enough since he’d had Covid for a vaccination to not be a problem.

We met him outside the clinic which he had walked to, and went for a coffee afterwards then onto a shop looking for a new gas fire. In all he must have walked over 2 miles and was pretty tired when he got back home but recovered quickly enough (the last section is about a half mile uphill coming back). He reckons he is ready to move to 40 hours working from home but will delay a week just to be sure. He doesn’t seem to have any symptoms left at all now, so is hopeful that long Covid is not going to be an issue.

Last edited:
He received the AZ vaccine jab yesterday and his only side effect today is a sore arm. At the center they told him that it had been long enough since he’d had Covid for a vaccination to not be a problem.

We met him outside the clinic which he had walked to, and went for a coffee afterwards then onto a shop looking for a new gas fire. In all he must have walked over 2 miles and was pretty tired when he got back home but recovered quickly enough (the last section is about a half mile uphill coming back). He reckons he is ready to move to 40 hours working from home but will delay a week just to be sure. He doesn’t seem to have any symptoms left at all now, so is hopeful that long Covid is not going to be an issue.

This is wonderful news!.

My son, about the same age as your son, and very fit, said that it took about two months for his lungs to recover. (He was not as ill as your son.) In his infinite wisdom, he decided to self treat, laid up at home:facepalm:) and didn't tell us until after the fact.

Two wks and 6 days since JnJ vaccine. Did have sweats 38 hrs after injection but since then all is well, 2 Motrin and doing well.

Talked to my sister last night, she got the first Pfizer vaccine, two weeks later she got Covid. Three weeks after she had no symptoms, the health dept. said she could and did get the second shot.
A couple weeks later, another employee after a few weeks having had both her shots, got Covid. Some random bad luck there!

But being exposed to the virus has nothing to do with being vaccinated. So I would say the opposite is true in that they were lucky to have been vaccinated just before exposure.

If anything I am expecting more exposure to the virus now everyone is out and about, but importantly being vaccinated hopefully means no bad symptoms.

Looking forward to a mask free gym soon. Ugh cant breath

I'm fully vaccinated but still first thing I do when arriving at home is still head out to the bathroom to wash my hands and face.

At least now I don't think like I'm gonna die if I don't wash, but the thought of still maybe having somehow exposed is enough to still wash. A good habit anyway, covid or no covid.

But being exposed to the virus has nothing to do with being vaccinated.

Not sure why you think I said that it did.

So I would say the opposite is true in that they were lucky to have been vaccinated just before exposure.
We agree on that.

If anything I am expecting more exposure to the virus now everyone is out and about, but importantly being vaccinated hopefully means no bad symptoms.

More exposure and more unvaccinated getting Covid, I guess that's one way to get closer to herd immunity.

The vaccines prevent you from getting really sick and significantly decrease the possibility of being contagious. It actually behaves like the polio vaccine.

I'm fully vaccinated but still first thing I do when arriving at home is still head out to the bathroom to wash my hands and face.

At least now I don't think like I'm gonna die if I don't wash, but the thought of still maybe having somehow exposed is enough to still wash. A good habit anyway, covid or no covid.

Same here. I agree it's not the worst habit to have.

When I get home from anywhere I take off my shoes and go directly to wash my hands. I've always done this, doesn't everybody?

When I get home from anywhere I take off my shoes and go directly to wash my hands. I've always done this, doesn't everybody?

I always wash my hands first thing when I get home--did that long before Covid (usually din't mess with shoes, I have to wear shoes indoors due to foot arthritis). The other thing I have always done after returning home from an indoor crowd is use my nettie pot, really reduces the number of sinus infections I get.

I always wash my hands first thing when I get home--did that long before Covid (usually din't mess with shoes, I have to wear shoes indoors due to foot arthritis). The other thing I have always done after returning home from an indoor crowd is use my nettie pot, really reduces the number of sinus infections I get.

It's not like other viruses and bacteria will magically go away when we get the jabs for COVID, so yeah, I will keep on washing my hands as before. One bonus of wearing a mask during the pandemic, however, was that the mask didn't just keep COVID out; it kept other viruses out as well. Of course, I can't live like that for the rest of my life, but it was a nice bonus.

J&J quality control is apparently not up to scratch. Makes one wonder about other J&J products.

It is not a vaccine that I would be willing to shoot into my arm.

Fortunately we had lots of Pfizer available.

It's not like other viruses and bacteria will magically go away when we get the jabs for COVID, so yeah, I will keep on washing my hands as before. One bonus of wearing a mask during the pandemic, however, was that the mask didn't just keep COVID out; it kept other viruses out as well. Of course, I can't live like that for the rest of my life, but it was a nice bonus.

Why can't you continue wearing a mask indefinitely? I plan to wear a mask in crowded indoor places during cold and flu season forever. I have really enjoyed not having any colds, etc for the last 18 months. I have a KN95 mask that offers a lot of protection but is comfortable to wear. People in other countries routinely wear masks in public during flu season, I plan to do the same. I had the flu 3 years ago (even though I had the flu vaccine) and I was sick for a couple of months, don't want to go through that again.

Why can't you continue wearing a mask indefinitely? I plan to wear a mask in crowded indoor places during cold and flu season forever. I have really enjoyed not having any colds, etc for the last 18 months. I have a KN95 mask that offers a lot of protection but is comfortable to wear. People in other countries routinely wear masks in public during flu season, I plan to do the same. I had the flu 3 years ago (even though I had the flu vaccine) and I was sick for a couple of months, don't want to go through that again.

I probably won't wear a mask unless I'm travelling, but I live in Canada and the mask made my face toasty warm outdoors during the winter months. I used to have to bundle up with a big bulky wool scarf around my neck, but the mask actually worked better.

Yep, KN95 masks are pretty comfortable.

Yes, I especially liked the mask when I was out walking in the winter and also it helped my allergies during spring pollen season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom