Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My 85 yo mom got the Pfizer when she qualified 3 weeks ago. She didn't qualify because she lived at home by herself? She had a brief hospital stat in late Jan/early Feb, and they couldn't give it to her then.

I plan to get the JnJ shot because of the older technology, but I'll wait a few months.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I had no choice but Pfizer when I went in. Got 2nd shot today. Their is one pharmacy in our area giving the choice of J&J or another (can’t remember which).
Old 04-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It doesn't make any difference to me either, what shot I will get. I just haven't got on the list.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I wasn't given a choice when I signed up. I got Pfizer, which was what I wanted, but I would have taken whatever they offered.
+1. DW and I got the Moderna vaccine, but we would have accepted any of the approved vaccines. Soonest available is more important than waiting for best And therefore being selective is picking nits IMO. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Had J&J yesterday (followed by a mild fever and an hour of the chills at night - all better now).

I preferred J&J, mostly for the one-and-done aspect, but would have done any of them. I signed up through the state and had a choice, but I also knew that my preferred mass vax location had J&J so it was a location/timing thing too.

Our state is allocating the great majority of J and J to target communities and mass vaccination sites for certain zip codes because of the one and done.

Nice to see them using common sense...there is plenty of the P and M double shots around, in our county anyway.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
It sounds like the main thing is to just get vaccinated as soon as you can (I saw that they all pretty much eliminate covid hospitalizations/deaths).
^ this. Take the very first one you can get. I had the moderna (just got jab 2 today) and had some reaction to Jab one - a day of low fever and aches BUT as a covid survivor I can affirm that the mild side effects from vaccines are nothing like the real deal.

Any steps you can take to avoid getting the virus should be taken and every day that passes is a day of elevated risk for the unvaxxed (and their social circle). Take the first available jab.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #27

I would have taken any of them, but got Pfizer (which was my first choice).

I was able to snap a vaccine spot for my child (18 year old) tomorrow. They won't say what they have, other than it might be either Moderna or JNJ. For him, I would prefer it to be JNJ, but obviously it will be whatever is. The preference for JNJ is twofold - he is in school in another state, with a 2 hour trip each way. So getting JNJ eliminates the need for a trip home and trying to coordinate getting the 2nd shot on a weekend or late Friday. Secondly, while I am an old geezer (so unknown consequences 20 years down the road would be an oh well), he is a young dude and I would prefer risks via a traditional vaccine vs mRNA "new technology".

p.s. I was able to get the appointment for him as NY State opened things up to 16+ starting April 6th, and I was online at Midnight on that date looking for spots.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #28

I'm only taking Novavax, the protein-based vaccine. It's the safest vaccine with the highest efficacy - 97% efficacy on the original strain and 86% efficacy on the UK variant strain. It will be available in the US next month - May. Fauci already mentioned it. Pfizer and Moderna are not really clinically tested against the UK strain in a formal clinical study. Novavax had 15,000 people in the UK in their study. Pfizer and Moderna only tested it in a Lab petri dish. So, you can still be re-infected with the UK variant.

I'm not take the mRNA vaccines (Moderna & Pfizer) also due to allergies. I'm not taking the adinovirus vector vaccines either (Astra & JNJ) - reports from Europe says they cause thrombosis or blood clotting. Colorado just closed a vaccine site yesterday when 18 people had adverse side effects from JNJ.

Good luck to all.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven’t gotten the shot yet. Just haven’t really looked. As a 54 yo white female who no longer works in a hospital my risk isn’t high. I was a firm believer early on in not jumping the line ahead of those at risk.

DH refuses to get vaccinated. He doesn’t get the flu shot either. As a now retired nurse I have taken every vaccine. Almost forced by employer to get an annual flu shot and I encourage every over 50 person I know to get the Shingles vaccine.

CDC says vaccine may only be effective for 6 months. I would really like to know if that’s the case before I sign up.

I may have already had COVID-19, I had a 25k ER bill that left me a question mark or PUI ( person under investigation). The test was negative but as a RN who tested multiple patients I can tell you the nurse who did my test was not competent at the task. She did a stab and go is the best description I have for what was a mid turbinate swab.

I am not opposed to being vaccinated just not stressed about getting an appointment. Apparently my mother is. She called today with a big lecture and a throw my husband under the bus stance. DH heard. Fun times in my house.

DM is a pill. We four kids put up with her **** without a word of protest because she’s our mom. Our loving father died 20 years ago. I immediately called DS, felt much better after we commiserated about our PITA mom.

Since mom officially banned DH and I until we are vaccinated I may wait a little longer. LOL Yes she has reduced me to a rebellious teenager!
Old 04-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #30

DW was contacted by the local hospital to get vaccinated She got Moderna. 2 weeks later the same hospital got down the list to my name. When I got my vaccination, it was Pfizer. It all came down to what was available at the time. The J&J was not available at the time.

From what I read, the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines have about the same incidence, types and severity of side effects.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I had a choice between Pfizer and Moderna depending on location and chose Pfizer.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
CDC says vaccine may only be effective for 6 months. I would really like to know if that’s the case before I sign up.
No, that’s not what they said. They said it was still going strong at 6 months. When more time passes they will let us know how it is holding up for even longer time periods.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I'm only taking Novavax, the protein-based vaccine. It's the safest vaccine with the highest efficacy - 97% efficacy on the original strain and 86% efficacy on the UK variant strain. It will be available in the US next month - May. Fauci already mentioned it. Pfizer and Moderna are not really clinically tested against the UK strain in a formal clinical study. Novavax had 15,000 people in the UK in their study. Pfizer and Moderna only tested it in a Lab petri dish. So, you can still be re-infected with the UK variant.

I'm not take the mRNA vaccines (Moderna & Pfizer) also due to allergies. I'm not taking the adinovirus vector vaccines either (Astra & JNJ) - reports from Europe says they cause thrombosis or blood clotting. Colorado just closed a vaccine site yesterday when 18 people had adverse side effects from JNJ.

Good luck to all.
Pfizer was used in Israel which had 80% prevalence of the UK variant, and it did very well - real world results. https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...iveness-pfizer
Quote:
...said Ugur Sahin, M.D., Co-Founder and CEO of BioNTech. “The real-world data reported from Israel demonstrate that BNT162b2 is exceptionally effective in fighting SARS-CoV-2. Our vaccine has been effective in preventing COVID-19 cases, as well as profoundly reducing the rate of COVID-19 related severe diseases, hospitalizations and deaths. These findings are also important, as the data were generated at a time when the SARS-CoV-2 variant B.1.1.7 was the dominant strain.”
Old 04-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Husband and I both got Pfizer, didn’t have a choice, and that was fine with us. Like many above said, it was just important for us to get a vaccine, any vaccine.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Personally I would've preferred the J&J vaccine because it is based off older technology that has been studied more. The efficacy doesn't matter much to me as all are 95% in preventing hospitalization and death which is what I'm most concerned about. It's questionable whether any of them actually prevent infection. But now I'm reading about quite a few adverse reactions to the J&J now that it's being rolled out more. So maybe I'm better off with the Pfizer vaccine that I got. But really, I'm not sure anybody knows which vaccine is best.
I just read this before this thread. " Clinical trials showed that a single dose of the vaccine had an efficacy rate of 72 percent in the United States,"
From; https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...9-vaccine.html
Old 04-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

We had dose one of Moderna March 1, second on April 1. We could have had J&J March 2, DW wanted Moderna, I could care less, just stick me.

We likely had Covid-19 last April but our symptoms(fatigue, headaches, body aches, lost taste and smell) weren't added until after we recovered. We never saw the need to test after the fact. In any case DW had a reaction to both doses that was very similar to the symptoms we had last year albeit much milder. My arm was sore for an hour.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
I *wondered* why I was able to schedule the J&J vaccine... mystery solved!
Are you a travelling circus performer?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

No choices for us. Kaiser said they don't even know what their giving out until it arrives in the morning.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

So I decided to look on vaccine finder and my county health department, spent some time hunting for an appointment. Couldn’t find one with in 15 miles of my home. I do not live in a rural area. Multiple locations close to home showed vaccines in stock but no appointments available.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #40

Got Pfizer, both shots done over three weeks ago, so I should be close to 97%!

Very small sore spot at shot site first injection, cleared after about four or five hours as flexed armed with normal activity. Slightly larger sore spot on upper arm second dose lasted overnight into next day but also cleared soon thereafter with normal use of arm flexing.

Second dose I also had an unplanned nap for a few hours the next afternoon while sitting in my Eckorness Stressless recliner next to a nice warm fire in the fireplace. But, I have been known to fall asleep in that same recliner many times long before "covid" was in our vocabulary. So your guess is as good as mine whether that nap was a side effect of vaccination, or a side effect of being 75/sitting by warm fire/sitting in favorite recliner!

Small community hospital I went to intermittently used both Pfizer and Moderna, but at time of my appointment was using Pfizer, so no choice, unless I opted to delay appointment and try to reschedule to later. Conveniently the hospital scheduled me in for second dose when went in for first dose. Was also very careful at second dose to ask what brand I was expecting, asked to see my vaccination card from first dose, and nurse actually giving shots also asked again what brand I was expecting. Very smooth operation.