Life After Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I will never forget my fellow citizens' unseemly obsession with grabbing up all the toilet paper, cleaning products, etc., far beyond any conceivable need. I consider it ominous, not funny at all.

Instead of "We are all in this together," they have gone for "Every man for himself."

It dawned on me that this is not "what we, as a society, have become" (due to this or that politician, social media, or whatever). It is what we, as a society, really are, and my blinders are now off for good.

I think the great majority of Americans will get the virus, have flu-like symptoms (from very mild to in bed with serious fever), recover, and go back to their lives. They will feel good that they handled the scary coronavirus. We'll have a vaccine in 18 months.

The virus will kill some people, mostly older people. The survivors will mourn them.

I expect no permanent changes, other than some heightened awareness about passing germs around. 2020-21 and 2021-22 will probably be lighter flu seasons.

As the elderly pass on - so does the wisdom. Hopefully the younger ones will take this seriously. I think the some teens may have an attitude of "the virus is not about me - that's something old people get"

Okay, so what brave soul at the NBA, NHL or MLB, is going to give the all clear sign and resume the season? Then when Johnnie's dad gets the virus and croaks, they blame the NBA, NHL or MLB and they sue? Ludicrous!:confused:

Personally, I will never forget my fellow citizens' unseemly obsession with grabbing up all the toilet paper, cleaning products, etc., far beyond any conceivable need. I consider it ominous, not funny at all.

Instead of "We are all in this together," they have gone for "Every man for himself."

It dawned on me that this is not "what we, as a society, have become" (due to this or that politician, social media, or whatever). It is what we, as a society, really are, and my blinders are now off for good.

As a long-time Florida resident, I see this happen every time we are threatened by a hurricane or tropical storm.

We always stock up on critical supplies in the spring to be ready for hurricane season, then use down the stock over the winter and restock every spring. This prevents our supplies from getting too old or out of date.

We don't keep large numbers of water bottles lying around. We do have a large collection of stackable pitchers we can fill with tap water at the last minute as needed. This is cheaper and more convenient than water bottles, and take very little space unless actually in use.

We have not gone into "panic buying" for coronavirus, because we always have supplies on hand for at least three weeks. We never let ourselves get down to zero on critical items.

Evidently a great many people do not know or follow your guidelines. The grabbing up of every scrap of paper and cleaning product makes me think of pack animals (jackals), not thinking human beings such as you.

The stackable pitchers sound interesting. Where do you keep them? With no basement, I am finding storage to be something of an issue.

(For us, Water bottles are strictly for carrying in the car or in the water bottle bag on my purse. We can use metal refillables, but they are so heavy as to be inconvenient).

We don't keep large numbers of water bottles lying around. We do have a large collection of stackable pitchers we can fill with tap water at the last minute as needed. This is cheaper and more convenient than water bottles, and take very little space unless actually in use.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

With each recession, pandemic, natural disaster,
etc we hear X is put in place to prevent future calamities. Yet stuff still happens to.

Yet the sun still rises and sets. Kids grow, become adults, have their own kids (sometimes not in that order), become older and sometimes wiser.

I'm more concerned about the political scene than viral outbreaks.

After Coronavirus is over, people will realize that they're happier just staying home and not spending money on un-neccessary things, and the world economy will collapse.

I agree that after there is an effective vaccine, things will likely be as usual.

The stackable pitchers sound interesting. Where do you keep them? With no basement, I am finding storage to be something of an issue.

We keep the stackable pitchers on the top shelf in a cabinet in our laundry room. Normally out of the way, but easily accessible when we need them. Since they are stackable, 12 pitchers take up no more space than two pitchers. We don't have a basement, either.

My brilliant wife bought a dozen of these a couple of years ago, rather than stocking up on bottled water for the upcoming hurricane season. We bought them at a local dollar store so the total cost was $12 plus tax. We have used them twice so far in preparation when hurricanes have threatened.

They would also be available if we needed a pitcher for something, but we have a few regular pitchers for routine use.

There is a vaccine for the seasonal flu, but because of the variation from year to year and the production lead time required to have doses ready for flu season, it has had an effectiveness of between 10-60%. Having had the flu last year, I'll take it even if it was 10% every year.

+1. I have had the flu exactly once in my life and it kicked my butt. Ever since then, it's the vaccine for me! Not always 100% effective in the population at large, but even when they don't get it 100% right, in general it does appear to reduce symptoms.

For an interesting article on some folks working on a universal flu vaccine, where guessing the next year's strain isn't required, read here:
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-potential-universal-flu-vaccine-just-passed-its-fourth-clinical-trial

As the elderly pass on - so does the wisdom. Hopefully the younger ones will take this seriously. I think the some teens may have an attitude of "the virus is not about me - that's something old people get"
Yeah, I like to think I am "wise", and that adds something, somehow.

Both teens and old people will get the virus. Almost all teens will have typical flu symptoms and be back to life in a week or so. Some of the old people will die. Unless an individual teen has a "pretty active looking" grandparent who dies, it will still be something that only impacts old people I don't know or old people who were pretty frail to begin with.

Ok then. I see this didn't take long to dive into darkness. Personally I'm sick (no pun intended) of talking, watching, listening or dealing with this virus. If I die I die. Now that everything is closed we'll all be home watching 1950's re-runs.

As far as the other things you mentioned are concerned you can personally give your fortune as reparations to those families who were wronged if you feel so guilty.

Humankind has done many weird things since the dawn of man. Many wars fought over "religion". Does that make religion bad? It comes down to the misuse of power which shows the sinful nature of people.

I think shaking hands may become a thing of the past.

I think food preparation & handling will improve permanently.

+1. I have had the flu exactly once in my life and it kicked my butt. Ever since then, it's the vaccine for me! Not always 100% effective in the population at large, but even when they don't get it 100% right, in general it does appear to reduce symptoms.

For an interesting article on some folks working on a universal flu vaccine, where guessing the next year's strain isn't required, read here:
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-potential-universal-flu-vaccine-just-passed-its-fourth-clinical-trial
They also spent a while on it in the Netflix series "Pandemic", which was incredibly prescient.

Life after CV19 looks like less casual hugging and kissing. Italians are known for physical affection. We have family there and had an Italian exchange student. Maybe the future holds smiles, winks, waves instead of handshakes and hugs/kisses.

I hope that MegaCorps and gubmints take telework seriously and reduce the impact of traffic on big cities (like mine, where it's terrible).

I hope that our country, as a whole, finally takes healthcare for all seriously. Doesn't matter to me how that happens, just want to see everyone covered at a reasonable cost.

I really hope that elections this year aren't delayed/cancelled, to reduce the possibility of social unrest.

Last edited:
I hope that MegaCorps and gubmints take telework seriously and reduce the impact of traffic on big cities (like mine, where it's terrible).

I hope that our country, as a whole, finally takes healthcare for all seriously. Doesn't matter to me how that happens, just want to see everyone covered at a reasonable cost.

I really hope that elections this year aren't delayed/cancelled, to reduce the possibility of social unrest.

+1

I believe that many organizations who held off working from home will adopt it. Hopefully they work out their security infrastructure as I think the current rush to get people out of the office is an opportunity for hacks!

I firmly believe we will see the next wave of work from home with repercussions. Empty office space with limited commuters, lower fuel costs and emissions. Maybe some sectors are hit hard?

I think there is a great opportunity for us to realize what we need as a world to survive such threats. Perhaps this is pollyanna thinking? I hope not.

I’m glad to see Roche ( a Swiss company) is making test kits quickly in New Jersey facilities and using diagnostic machines located at all labcorp facilities made in California and Arizona.
[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I firmly believe we will see the next wave of work from home with repercussions. Empty office space with limited commuters, lower fuel costs and emissions. Maybe some sectors are hit hard?

Sell it as "disruptive technological change." Or possibly "creative destruction."

I think there is a great opportunity for us to realize what we need as a world to survive such threats. Perhaps this is pollyanna thinking? I hope not.
Maybe not, but the persistence of The Old Guard (aka entrenched special interests) will attempt to run athwart it. Opportunities are wasted all the time. I am not unhopeful but not too hopeful either. I don't see all the death and "swamped hospitals" people have been talking about. We might just be a little bt lucky and a little bit a victim of our own success. i.e. We all socially isolated not a moment too soon. But without them or at least an irrefutable Dickensian Ghost of Corona Virus Future apparition, we'll just revert to "the usual."

I think it will be more common to see people wearing face masks when sick. In the future, I plan on wearing one when I think I am coming down with something or when I am getting over a bug.

Why would I expect anything to change?

Since 11 September 2001 I must have heard at least a thousand commercials about emergency preparedness from various government authorities and civilian agencies. My old Megacorp provided us safety kits featuring company products, along with guidance on a variety of preparations. Make a kit; have a plan; practice. In the new age of terrorist threats, we all needed to be ready at all times. That's been drilled into us for two decades.

And yet what happens every time disaster threatens? Panicked overreaction by the unprepared.

Hurricane on the way? Buy up every scrap of plywood and squabble over bottled water. Snow in the forecast? Scramble for bread and milk. Scary new disease from the other side of the world? Trample each other over Purell and toilet paper.

"This time it's different." Yeah, sure it is.

This is the best thread currently running on the site, IMO.

Putting on my cynical hat, I fear new virus hoaxes/scares popping up after things have generally recovered, but while we (the global "we") are still apt to flinch.

After the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, we started keeping at least a month's worth of canned goods, paper products, and drinking water. Pretty much what we've done since then.

What we're seeing now is people taking this to an extreme to where it is becoming an issue for us just to maintain this one month supply. We went to a Walmart after lunch today, and you would have thought a bomb had hit the store, specifically with the canned and boxed goods, bottled water and juice, cleaning supplies, and paper products. The poor stockers would bring out a pallet of toilet paper, and the first questions were how many were shoppers allowed to take.

Our habits of the past will serve us well for a few weeks, but if this keeps up, it will get uglier before it gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom