Life After Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to the radio while driving yesterday, and heard some comments I thought interesting. One was was that the desire to live in large population centers, which seem to be be most of the places most impacted, even with the advantages of type and variety of jobs available, might wane.

Another thought was that attendance at large sporting events might also be impacted. I believe they have identified several sporting matches which are felt to have been factors for the rapid spread of the virus in several countries. In the U.S. with technology more and more providing, in some peoples eyes, a better "game day" experience than being at the game, and the hassles and expenses of actually going to a game, there could be a lasting impact on attendance levels.

Will people shake hands and hug again?

Right now we’re hunkering down and trying to get through the next few months, so I’m not spending much time visualizing how things will be when the crisis abates or lessens significantly.

+1

Also, in my case I am not sure about the assumption that the crisis will abate or lessen significantly. I guess it probably will but I don't see the path from here to there very clearly, unless the virus mutates to a less virulent form (which would be terrific! yay virus!).

Since I don't know the future, I am trying to stay away from the news for at least part of every day and engage in other, stress free activities. I remember back when I was working, the idea of being stuck at home with no deadlines or responsibilities or work travel would have been a dream come true. So, I'm trying to approach every day from that viewpoint as long as we are stuck hunkering down and waiting this out.

For me, this month has been sort of like a kid being told, "You MUST have chocolate cake and ice cream and soda pop for dinner! No liver or spinach for you!" so I might as well enjoy it and avoid stress and worry about things I cannot control, as much as I can.

Another thought was that attendance at large sporting events might also be impacted. I believe they have identified several sporting matches which are felt to have been factors for the rapid spread of the virus in several countries.

Future game day fashion statement?

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 33
+1

Also, in my case I am not sure about the assumption that the crisis will abate or lessen significantly. I guess it probably will but I don't see the path from here to there very clearly, unless the virus mutates to a less virulent form (which would be terrific! yay virus!).

Since I don't know the future, I am trying to stay away from the news for at least part of every day and engage in other, stress free activities. I remember back when I was working, the idea of being stuck at home with no deadlines or responsibilities or work travel would have been a dream come true. So, I'm trying to approach every day from that viewpoint as long as we are stuck hunkering down and waiting this out.

For me, this month has been sort of like a kid being told, "You MUST have chocolate cake and ice cream and soda pop for dinner! No liver or spinach for you!" so I might as well enjoy it and avoid stress and worry about things I cannot control, as much as I can.

Same here. Just baked a batch of cookies from scratch today. Left half of them uncooked for good homemade raw cookie dough.
Frozen margherita next with guacamole next and then jump into the pool.

Another thought was that attendance at large sporting events might also be impacted. I believe they have identified several sporting matches which are felt to have been factors for the rapid spread of the virus in several countries. In the U.S. with technology more and more providing, in some peoples eyes, a better "game day" experience than being at the game, and the hassles and expenses of actually going to a game, there could be a lasting impact on attendance levels.

Sports could be heavily impacted if people decide they no longer want to be in close contact with thousands of other people. I wonder how many people are thinking about not renewing season tickets going forward.

And what about concerts? Arenas and stadiums could suddenly lose most, if not all of their revenue without those two industries to support them.

If this gets really bad and stays, the U.S. can end up looking like the Mad Max 2 movie. :D

And language will devolve in less than a 10 year period

"We are in the way of knowing"

I donated my house and contents to Lake Pontchartrain during Katrina. Had I predicted how 'things' were going to turn out going forward from the day we evacuated in two pickup trucks I would have been not even close.

Agile, mobile and hostile. :D

heh heh heh - Breaking current habits will test my Curmudgeonism! Per Yogi Berra - 'predictions is hard. Especially about the future.' :cool:

I donated my house and contents to Lake Pontchartrain during Katrina. Had I predicted how 'things' were going to turn out going forward from the day we evacuated in two pickup trucks I would have been not even close.

Agile, mobile and hostile. :D

heh heh heh - Breaking current habits will test my Curmudgeonism! Per Yogi Berra - 'predictions is hard. Especially about the future.' :cool:

Good point! I never in a million years would have thought New Orleans would recover after Katrina, but it pretty much did. Not entirely, it never will but at least it feels like home again. And now this? Who would have thought? Once again I have no idea of how we'll get through this, but stranger things have happened.

I don't know when I switched to my present sig line, but I think it might be relevant (or not).

Sports could be heavily impacted if people decide they no longer want to be in close contact with thousands of other people. I wonder how many people are thinking about not renewing season tickets going forward.

And what about concerts? Arenas and stadiums could suddenly lose most, if not all of their revenue without those two industries to support them.
Especially given HIGH prices, though expense accounts have driven up entertainment costs more than individuals IMO.

Will people shake hands and hug again?

I think most of that will go back to normal as soon as vaccines are available. Maybe not as much when flu season kicks in.

Now, the next time some unknown virus kicks in somewhere in the world, I don't know about anyone else but my lockdown checklist will come out immediately. I'll stock up and social distance and isolate until my country rolls out widespread testing.

Impossible to know. I think it depends upon the outcome of the pandemic, which is still up in the air.

Both of my bands have cancelled practices...partly social distancing and also because any upcoming gigs we had have all been cancelled. Hopefully once this passes the gigs will come again, but maybe not. If the places we play no longer draw crowds then there's no reason to have a band.

Luckily we do this for fun and don't rely on the money, but I do know a couple working musicians that are really hurting. One of them relied on gigs and giving lessons for the bulk of his income...the gigs are gone and he also lost most of his students, only a few are staying with him for online lessons. If his wife didn't work he'd be in serious financial trouble.

Both of my bands have cancelled practices...partly social distancing and also because any upcoming gigs we had have all been cancelled. Hopefully once this passes the gigs will come again, but maybe not. If the places we play no longer draw crowds then there's no reason to have a band.

Luckily we do this for fun and don't rely on the money, but I do know a couple working musicians that are really hurting. One of them relied on gigs and giving lessons for the bulk of his income...the gigs are gone and he also lost most of his students, only a few are staying with him for online lessons. If his wife didn't work he'd be in serious financial trouble.

F has a "fun job" doing sound and lights for musical acts at a bar down in the French Quarter. This has been such a blow for many in the entertainment industry here, which is mostly a gig economy. It's really heartwarming how the performers are sticking together and helping one another. The bartender also called F to make sure he was doing OK (which of course he is), and I am sure he is in contact with his other employees and regular performers. And before that F called the bartender and a few others too, to check on them and make sure they were all right. It all happened so suddenly. I am absolutely confident that things will return to normal as soon as the lockdown is over, and as soon as they get their customers back. People are eager to get out and have some fun, listen to some music, and so on.

F has a "fun job" doing sound and lights for musical acts at a bar down in the French Quarter. This has been such a blow for many in the entertainment industry.

The entertainment and restaurant industries employ a LOT of people. Musicians, sound and light staff, servers, cooks, bartenders, and so on. Large events are being cancelled so the caterers and servers for banquets and events will suffer. A couple my GF knows had a 200 person wedding planned for June...the wedding will still happen but now there won't be 200 people and a catered dinner after. Hall rentals are being cancelled, etc.

We have always had enough food in the house because we don’t like to grocery shop. I wonder if the restaurants will be required to take out half of the tables so people are farther apart.

We have always had enough food in the house because we don’t like to grocery shop. I wonder if the restaurants will be required to take out half of the tables so people are farther apart.
If they space out tables, it might be worth going. At least the noise level will be lower, and chef's more time to do great dinners. maybe even get great service, one can hope. Though far too many restaurants push for quick table turnover.

If they space out tables, it might be worth going. At least the noise level will be lower, and chef's more time to do great dinners. maybe even get great service, one can hope. Though far too many restaurants push for quick table turnover.

Another factor in restaurants, so many of them play music in the background at a fairly high level, causing people to have to raise their voices for conversation, so the establishment turns up the music, and on and on.

The louder you talk, the more you are going to spread any germs you may be carrying. This appears to be the real threat, not a package that was handled by someone who might have come in contact with someone yesterday that might have had the virus.

Our son and his wife like to try out high end restaurants, so if we are visiting them in the city (Chicago), we will sometimes ask them to pick out a nice $$$ place, our treat, so we get to check out some places we probably wouldn't get to. Almost always, very good food, inventive, good staff - but we cant hold a conversation, which spoils it for me. Fine dining should be a social event as well.

-ERD50

F has a "fun job" doing sound and lights for musical acts at a bar down in the French Quarter. This has been such a blow for many in the entertainment industry here, which is mostly a gig economy. It's really heartwarming how the performers are sticking together and helping one another. The bartender also called F to make sure he was doing OK (which of course he is), and I am sure he is in contact with his other employees and regular performers. And before that F called the bartender and a few others too, to check on them and make sure they were all right. It all happened so suddenly. I am absolutely confident that things will return to normal as soon as the lockdown is over, and as soon as they get their customers back. People are eager to get out and have some fun, listen to some music, and so on.

The FQ came back after Katrina so it will be back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom