Life After Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another factor in restaurants, so many of them play music in the background at a fairly high level, causing people to have to raise their voices for conversation, so the establishment turns up the music, and on and on.

DW and I and a couple of friends went to a new-to-us restaurant last fall. It was remarkable in that they didn't play any music at all. There were a fair number of people there, but everyone was having quiet conversations. Occasionally someone would laugh loudly, but seemed to shut it down quickly. It was one of the most pleasant restaurant experiences I've ever had.

People just don't retain lessons like this and THIS is probably not as bad as it is portrayed in the media (they need clicks) and people will realize that when it is over and they get their jobs back.

IMO, the cruise industry will be hit (FWIW I have no interest in cruises), restaurants and Disney World will make showy adjustments, and the Government will replenish emergency stockpiles (unlike after Swine Flu), all "for a while". I've seen Norovirus hit my fave all inclusive resort and sure enough, they disinfected the place, had staff in white gloves handing out plates at the buffet, and had hand sanitizer everywhere for a year, and then they went back to normal operations.

What I'm really afraid of in the longer term is the normalization of dependence on government and surrendering of liberty to the government.

I suspect that the level of irrational exuberance associated with early retirement will be tempered. In 1999 I heard that 'anyone can make 15% in the market'. We have seen a number of bloggers who could retire on a shoestring, and survive because of the bull market. The blogs will probably not generate as much money, and the number of 'successful' frugal early retirees will drop. The concept of sequence of returns risk will have more meaning.

The annuity salesmen will be out in full force!

F has a "fun job" doing sound and lights for musical acts at a bar down in the French Quarter. This has been such a blow for many in the entertainment industry here, which is mostly a gig economy. It's really heartwarming how the performers are sticking together and helping one another. The bartender also called F to make sure he was doing OK (which of course he is), and I am sure he is in contact with his other employees and regular performers. And before that F called the bartender and a few others too, to check on them and make sure they were all right. It all happened so suddenly. I am absolutely confident that things will return to normal as soon as the lockdown is over, and as soon as they get their customers back. People are eager to get out and have some fun, listen to some music, and so on.

I agree, people will be ready to go out once the quarantine is lifted and businesses reopen. I also think more business will be conducted virtually than before, reducing costs and providing more flexibility for workers, a win-win.

While I do think this will have a prolonged economic effect, I also believe most people who attend large events will continue to do so once they have the opportunity. I am not as confident about the cruise industry recovery. Perhaps the trend towards mega ships will reverse. Time will tell.

If they space out tables, it might be worth going. At least the noise level will be lower, and chef's more time to do great dinners. maybe even get great service, one can hope. Though far too many restaurants push for quick table turnover.
Of course that’s a radical reduction in revenue for a restaurant, not an easy adjustment. They can pare back variable costs like labor and food but not fixed costs like rent, utilities, insurance, head chef, etc. (project that across all industry). It’s better than nothing, but some simply won’t be able to sustain operations with half the tables. I guess the silver lining is we’re coming into the warm months where outside seating is an option again (not in winter) so half the tables inside and out might be equal to all the inside tables - winter mode.

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but the more I think about it, the more I suspect this will be one of the major changes for the "after" times:

My latest pondering has been around all the kids who are out of school, possibly for the rest of the school year.

I imagine this will have a pretty profound effect on them, in many ways. There will be a sense of shared experience, for one thing. Closer family bonds maybe.

We joked about the word "Coronials" being applied to the babies born 9 months from now. But I think it's more likely to become the name for the cadre of people whose school years were turned upside down by this.

There will be a well-defined "before time" when kids actually had to sit in a school building all day, and an "after time" when it became routine to do school work remotely.

Ditto for businesses. Working remotely was already a "thing" in the tech industry. I think it will become even more mainstream. The whole idea of a physical location and fixed working hours will probably fade in many occupations. It's remarkable how, suddenly, you can replace a doctor's office visit with a phone call. They used to always want patients to come in. I suspect that sort of thing will just continue.

^ I think the "Coronials" term just might stick.

I told my grandson last week that someday he would likely be telling his grandchildren stories of living through the Covid-19 pan[-]ic[/-]demic of 2020 just like he had to listen to my tales of living through the events of 1968, the Vietnam War, the Cold War,... :)

The most notable memories may be reserved for the Class of 2020 as will have some memorable stories to tell future generations. We have two grandchildren in that category, one a HS senior and one a college senior. Both have been told their graduation ceremonies have been canceled.

The most notable memories may be reserved for the Class of 2020 as will have some memorable stories to tell future generations. We have two grandchildren in that category, one a HS senior and one a college senior. Both have been told their graduation ceremonies have been canceled.
Dumb question - will they still graduate this year? We’ve been wondering whether this school year will count, or will they have to make it up somehow. Hopefully online classes will be effective in keeping all students “on schedule.” And if that works, snow days may become a thing of the past.

After this whole thing is over, as God as my witness, I shall never go without extra TP again.

Dumb question - will they still graduate this year? We’ve been wondering whether this school year will count, or will they have to make it up somehow. Hopefully online classes will be effective in keeping all students “on schedule.” And if that works, snow days may become a thing of the past.
Our school system (Maryland) is officially starting remote learning this week, so the semester will be able to be completed even if the closure extends through the end of the year. I believe they've also given guidance on outstanding assignments and grades, but as my kid is a HS senior we let them talk to their teachers and handle their own grading issues, as they'll need to do in college.

DW and I and a couple of friends went to a new-to-us restaurant last fall. It was remarkable in that they didn't play any music at all. There were a fair number of people there, but everyone was having quiet conversations. Occasionally someone would laugh loudly, but seemed to shut it down quickly. It was one of the most pleasant restaurant experiences I've ever had.

Ah sounds like most restaurants in France I’ve eaten in. People speak quietly in public in France, and it makes dining out quite pleasant, IMO, even if they pack you in there like sardines. Also public transportation especially trains so quiet - very nice.

On a personal note, the next flight I take in a commercial airliner is going to feel a little creepy to me. I wonder if the airlines are going to have to ratchet back their quick turnover times for a more thorough cleaning? The higher load factors, tighter seat spacing AND quick turnaround times had a lot to do with the recovery of the airline industry.

In CT, the governor waived the 180 day school year requirement. Our local schools are attempting to implement distance learning, but the school year will end on June 11th as previously scheduled and call it a year. As far as an actual graduation ceremony, I don't know.

Both are continuing classes online and will graduate. The college senior is facing a job market he had no idea could possibly exist when he started his final semester.:(

Home gardens will make a big come back. I have received notes from seed companies that they are over capacity with calls. This happened in 2008-09 as well, which had less impact than this is having in my opinion.

Until a proven, effective treatment or vaccine is readily available, I do not see any changes in my daily life at this point.
So far I have tried grocery pick up, and will probably continue in the future, no need to go into a crowded store. We are eating out less often and see that continuing. I have really started to dislike the loud music played in restaurants. I have no further desire to ever get on a cruise ship, where prior I had a couple of them planned. We may also start driving more and flying less, not so much the planes I worry about, its the crowds in the airport.
How society changes? I have no clue. But hope it is for the betterment all.

When this thing is done I am going to have a Happy Saint Mother's Memorial Father's 4th of Summer BBQ Sunday Labor Day party.

When this thing is done I am going to have a Happy Saint Mother's Memorial Father's 4th of Summer BBQ Sunday Labor Day party.

Hopefully you won't have to eat turkey.:D

ETA - okay the witty REWAHOO beat me to it.

Here's my thought on that. Schools are trying all kinds of at-home study options. They will have something they can point to that can justify a passing grade.

The students would not remember everything from that missed semester once they got out in the real world anyway. * School is more of an introduction to the information that's available, and practicing the skills needed to harvest and apply it.

This crop of kids is certainly developing those skills. Probably more so than any previous generation. They'll do just fine once they get out in the world.

Not just snow days, but the whole concept of a "school day" may start to erode. Just get the work done, at home or wherever, and you graduate. There are already lots of on-line college options, and even K-12 was getting into this before Covid-19. This will just accelerate the trend.

* This isn't my idea. Father Guido Sarducci came up with it:
https://youtu.be/FR8hKgzgDNs

Last edited:
Until a proven, effective treatment or vaccine is readily available, I do not see any changes in my daily life at this point.
So far I have tried grocery pick up, and will probably continue in the future, no need to go into a crowded store. We are eating out less often and see that continuing. I have really started to dislike the loud music played in restaurants. I have no further desire to ever get on a cruise ship, where prior I had a couple of them planned. We may also start driving more and flying less, not so much the planes I worry about, its the crowds in the airport.
How society changes? I have no clue. But hope it is for the betterment all.

Agree...curbside pickup or grocery delivery will be more popular even afterwards.

Also fewer restaurants, more meals at home...our favorite restaurants (Thai & Greek) have both chosen not to do take-out/delivery so I fear they'll never re-open...

I'd rather cook at home than patronize chain restaurants or fast food.

Will probably drive even if it means an overnight stay on the way...more time-consuming but still cheaper & frankly less hassle than flying.

Fewer jobs I'm afraid...plus a slower economic recovery in general than even post-2009.

I fear my DW who teaches elective courses at her K-12 private school might not have her contract renewed...but that decision won't come until the end of May.

Don’t know anything about this particular source, but I have seen several similar articles from multiple sources so I assume it’s true.

Says that China, and even Wuhan specifically, have reopened the so called wet markets where the virus supposedly originated. Serving bats and the rest. I guess my post #6 in this thread won’t come true.

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/chinese-wet-markets-still-selling-bats/3984833/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom