Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

List your symptoms (early, mid-course, late course, lingering)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

List your symptoms (early, mid-course, late course, lingering)

It can help to read reports of symptoms, how they are the same, how they are different, and how they progress - especially if the disease is little known or if it varies somewhat from person to person.

This is one of the ways we got a clue about Lyme disease - as symptoms and co-infections can vary radically.

Here in one of the virus discussions, I thought I remembered someone commenting about their eyes hurting but now I can't find the post. These clues may help others.

So - for COVID-19 ... inquiring minds want to know....

....tell us whether your case is confirmed, or whether you believe you had or are experiencing the virus.

Please relate your symptoms and the arc of the illness and recovery.

Although you may never know for sure, feel free to comment on how you think you may have contracted it.

TIA.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eesh, I know everyone is anxious, but this seems like a perfect thread to get everyone thinking he or she is ill.

Me, I just self-isolate with our inadequate stock of TP and disinfectant cleaners, take our temps each day and hope for the best. If, God forbid, we come down with COVID-19, I will try to let the forum know.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #3
gone traveling

What compounds this, at least in Texas, people with allergies are suffering due to high pollen counts. Many of the symptoms are similar to Covid.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
What compounds this, at least in Texas, people with allergies are suffering due to high pollen counts. Many of the symptoms are similar to Covid.
I was in Tucson this week and the orange trees were in bloom caused me to start wondering.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
caused me to start wondering.
They generally cause me to start sneezing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Yeah. We're still trying to figure out what hit my wife back in February. Based on the symptoms, it doesn't appear to have been COVID-19. But she was miserable for about two weeks, with some residual symptoms for a while afterward. We've been in Texas for almost 1.5 years, and we were told that some people who move there from another state sometimes experience various allergies, among those cedar fever (my apologies to the cedar trees out there by naming you /s). I think it was the wrong time of the year for cedar fever, though.

The issue I have is my sinuses can start to tingle and cause me to sneeze when there are changes in temperatures and pressures. I will just sneeze with no discharge and no cough. Going from someplace hot to cold (or vice versa) will do it. It's fun trying to not have one of these sneezes while waiting in line to enter a grocery store. Not!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A couple of years ago, my long-standing "sinus" and "allergy" symptoms cleared up completely when I was put on PPI's for acid reflux. They're back. Too bad I can't safely stay on PPIs for the long term.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My poor Mother's chronic "allergies" turned out to be early signs of emphysema. She smoked all her life, although not like a chimney - maybe two packs a week.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Yeah. We're still trying to figure out what hit my wife back in February. Based on the symptoms, it doesn't appear to have been COVID-19. But she was miserable for about two weeks, with some residual symptoms for a while afterward. We've been in Texas for almost 1.5 years, and we were told that some people who move there from another state sometimes experience various allergies, among those cedar fever (my apologies to the cedar trees out there by naming you /s). I think it was the wrong time of the year for cedar fever, though.

The issue I have is my sinuses can start to tingle and cause me to sneeze when there are changes in temperatures and pressures. I will just sneeze with no discharge and no cough. Going from someplace hot to cold (or vice versa) will do it. It's fun trying to not have one of these sneezes while waiting in line to enter a grocery store. Not!
I believe mountain cedar pollens were blowing north due to winds out of the south in February. Unfortunately, regardless of where in the US someone lives, just because they never had allergy problems in the past does not mean they won't have a problem in the future.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
It can help to read reports of symptoms, how they are the same, how they are different, and how they progress - especially if the disease is little known or if it varies somewhat from person to person.

This is one of the ways we got a clue about Lyme disease - as symptoms and co-infections can vary radically.

Here in one of the virus discussions, I thought I remembered someone commenting about their eyes hurting but now I can't find the post. These clues may help others.

So - for COVID-19 ... inquiring minds want to know....

....tell us whether your case is confirmed, or whether you believe you had or are experiencing the virus.

Please relate your symptoms and the arc of the illness and recovery.

Although you may never know for sure, feel free to comment on how you think you may have contracted it.

TIA.
How can it help to read reports of others symptoms. we have a thread that reports on positive testing. So if your case isn't confirmed people are just talking smack anyway.

I'm just wondering if this is helpful or basically online rubbernecking
Old 03-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #11

News this morning spoke of digestive issues, vomiting and loss of appetite in 50% of cases.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...oms-are-common

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Central GA pollen is terrible right now! I don’t suffer allergies in TX. But I am experiencing them now in central GA. A nice country walk outside last evening - woke up this morning congested and scratchy throat.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

i watched a YouTube video someone posted here where a now recovered person described his experience.

Edited to add: there are tons of people posting their experiences on the internet if you really want the details.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have sinus/allergy issues all year; pollens in the spring and summer, mold/mildew in the winter.
A cold virus is currently going around our house, no one has had a fever, fatigue, or shortness of breath, so 99.99% sure it is a regular cold. We have all been self isolating for two+ weeks.

Plus there is no testing here unless you are severely ill and headed for hospitalization, so there is no way to know for sure anyway.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As someone who has suffered from allergies all my life I think the main difference between allergies and a cold/flu/coronavirus is that you very rarely have a temperature with allergies. The only time I have ever had a temperature with allergies is on the rare occasion that it develops into a sinus infection. With a sinus infection I get antibiotics
Old 03-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Central GA pollen is terrible right now! I don’t suffer allergies in TX. But I am experiencing them now in central GA. A nice country walk outside last evening - woke up this morning congested and scratchy throat.
I've been in TX since the early 1980's. No problem until the mid 2000's, first with oak pollen. And in the last 2 years, I finally have gotten Cedar Fever, though relatively mild. But Cedar is over and Oak is in full bloom. All of our cars have a lovely yellow patena to them and I'm maxing out on my allergy meds....
Old 03-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
I've been in TX since the early 1980's. No problem until the mid 2000's, first with oak pollen. And in the last 2 years, I finally have gotten Cedar Fever, though relatively mild. But Cedar is over and Oak is in full bloom. All of our cars have a lovely yellow patena to them and I'm maxing out on my allergy meds....
We have an advantage in Rio Grande Valley of very few deciduous trees! Oaks aren’t native - they stop dramatically ~100 miles north of us. We don’t even have ragweed. No ash junipers/cedar either.

So generally for DH and me, little pollen to react to. No leaves to rake either.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post

!
I bet it was cedar fever.

I was in the Texas Hill Country in the first half of February 2019. I’m a native Texan but have lived in CA for most of my life.

On that visit, I got walloped by cedar fever. I have never experienced allergies before or since, but everyone who heard about and saw what I went through said that’s what I had.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
News this morning spoke of digestive issues, vomiting and loss of appetite in 50% of cases.
I had a headache, nausea, and loss of appetite the day before yesterday. But I put the bourbon away and I felt fine today.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:58 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I bet it was cedar fever.

I was in the Texas Hill Country in the first half of February 2019. I’m a native Texan but have lived in CA for most of my life.

On that visit, I got walloped by cedar fever. I have never experienced allergies before or since, but everyone who heard about and saw what I went through said that’s what I had.
I was always amazed that I didn’t eventually experience cedar fever in the Austin area. You are supposed to eventually succumb even after many years. Maybe it would hit me if I returned.

DH didn't experience cedar fever either. But the fall ragweed was hell for him.

I remember looking out at the hillside under the right weather conditions, and the cedar trees would “explode” one by one with this big cloud of pollen that would drift away.