Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dunno. I got my shingles shot when I was 60 just like I was supposed to. Didn't cost me a dime. 100% covered preventive.

Now I'm 65 and guess what, I got my pneumonia shot, free of charge, preventive.
RobbieB is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm happy that many of the national retailers are requiring masks.
Toocold is offline   Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Tests is one metric, cases is another.

It's important that we're reporting apples to apples nationwide, but we're not as there's no national standard and strategy for testing or reporting. And there have been reports of errors in both directions everywhere. Both for positive and negative tests.

This is one of those things that i imagine evens out in the wash. But of course those that want to downplay things will say "aha the case counts are probably doubled and wrong!" or those that want to see doom and gloom say "oh no the real positive rate is being held down by the double-negatives!" (and both camps will be wrong).
Maybe counting death is more informative. A person can only die once.
flyingaway is offline   Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I dunno. I got my shingles shot when I was 60 just like I was supposed to. Didn't cost me a dime. 100% covered preventive.

Now I'm 65 and guess what, I got my pneumonia shot, free of charge, preventive.
Robbie if you got a shingles shot 5 years ago you would have gotten the old kind of shot that was only about 50% effective. There is now a new Shingles shot (actually you get 2 doses) called Shingrix that is 95% effective. You need to get the new shot even if you had the old shot. The new shot is expensive and Medicare covers only a portion of the cost but the shot is worth it. You don't want to get Shingles, I had them at age 50 and it was the worst disease I have ever had, now almost 20 years later I still have pain from Shingles. Ask your doctor about the new Shingrix shot or read up on it here on the Forum, there are several threads.
harllee is offline   Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #185
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Study adds evidence for cannabis as covid-19 treatment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilyea.../#47be14bd382d
Great, now there is going to be a Doritos shortage.
jimbee is offline   Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #186

Wonder if my insurance company will cover the cost of the Government Mule concert tickets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Study adds evidence for cannabis as covid-19 treatment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilyea.../#47be14bd382d
Old 07-17-2020, 06:11 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

I actually asked if you saw what they were charging, not what you paid.

Obviously your insurance company paid a negotiated rate. For those who insurance didn't cover, it was pretty steep. My insurance paid the first one, but by the time I found a place that had the second one in stock, I had to pay out-of-network rates. If I had no insurance coverage it would have been even more, I think in the $150 range for each of the two shots.

My point is, there was money being made on Shingrix, but even so, there were massive shortages. Presumably the same will occur if/when there's a COVID shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Right. Case numbers are almost meaningless, and even the ratio of positive tests depends on which populations are being tested. Around here they make it difficult to even get tested unless you have reason to believe you're infected, so of course the ratio will be higher than if you took a random sample of the population.

The death rate, and especially the excess death rate, are pretty solid numbers. There are anecdotes about cause of death being listed as COVID when it was primarily other factors, and vice-versa. I suspect those tend to cancel each other out.

The excess death rate; that is, the number of people who died over time, in excess of the expected "normal" death rate going back x number of years for that time, is a better number. From what I've seen, it tends to confirm the COVID death rate statistics.

Historians will decide. I suspect neither side, the deniers nor the doom-sayers, will turn out to be correct. It'll be a high number, and it will be deemed to have been largely preventable, had it not been for our self-destructive partisan bickering.
CaptTom is online now   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 06:26 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The death rate, and especially the excess death rate, are pretty solid numbers. There are anecdotes about cause of death being listed as COVID when it was primarily other factors, and vice-versa. I suspect those tend to cancel each other out.
I think the important metric is the one that communities and individuals can react to, and take precautions to reduce the death rate in the first place. After all, to varying degrees, we are participants and not just outside observers here.

So, yeah, for me personally, cases and positivity are good numbers to see what the weather is probably like now, and maybe decide if I want to drive in the rain or wait.

If cases are low, great, if they are surging, not great. Looking at deaths is kinda like waiting till after the hurricane actually hits to decide if I should close my shutters.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #189

Back on topic, retail sales (excluding gasoline) have basically recovered through June.

From Bespoke Investment Group https://twitter.com/bespokeinvest/st...46555401572354

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
One thing which might be of interest to people here, the data is for people 18-55 years old. They did have older people injected but that data will come out later.

There were some side effects observed, chills, muscle and headaches, fatigue among over 50% of those vaccinated. Then among those who received a second vaccination as part of a middle dose, 40% had fever.
Yikes! I can't imagine having to accept these side effects in order to achieve immunity. I hope there are better options once the final vaccine is approved for mass innoculation.

Also saw an interview with Dr. Zeke Emanual this AM. He envisions that the roll out of mass vaccinations would first inoculate front line medical workers, then other first responders, then essential workers, working on down the line until the least at risk receive the vaccine. It also may involve a 2 shot regimine which would lengthen the process. He envisioned the process as taking many months once the process begins. He implied achieving the end goal of inoculating 250 million Americans would take 6-9 months in a best case scenario.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Yikes! I can't imagine having to accept these side effects in order to achieve immunity. I hope there are better options once the final vaccine is approved for mass innoculation.

Also saw an interview with Dr. Zeke Emmanual this AM. He envisions that the roll out of mass vaccinations would first inoculate front line medical workers, then other first responders, then essential workers, working on down the line until the least at risk receive the vaccine. It also may involve a 2 shot regimine which would lengthen the process. He envisioned the process as taking many months once the process begins. He implied achieving the end goal of inoculating 250 million Americans would take 6-9 months in a best case scenario.
But isn't this similar to the side effects for the Shingles shot--most people have some side effects to that shot, sore arm, fever, aches, fatigue etc. Yet many of us were lined up and on waiting lists to get the Shingrix shot because Shingles is so awful. We drove 3 hours to a place that had the Shingrix shot a couple of years ago. I can forsee something like the Shingrix shortages for a Covid-19 vaccine. First the health care workers will get it, then those with medical conditions and those over 80, then those over 65. You will have to get on a list and wait, just like the Shingrix shot.
harllee is offline   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
.... I sometimes wonder if humanity is just too stupid to survive this.
I've often thought that it is starkly showing that the lack of self-discipline in the US compared to the rest of the world is not helpful in managing a contagion.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But isn't this similar to the side effects for the Shingles shot--most people have some side effects to that shot, sore arm, fever, aches, fatigue etc. Yet many of us were lined up and on waiting lists to get the Shingrix shot because Shingles is so awful. We drove 3 hours to a place that had the Shingrix shot a couple of years ago. I can forsee something like the Shingrix shortages for a Covid-19 vaccine. First the health care workers will get it, then those with medical conditions and those over 80, then those over 65. You will have to get on a list and wait, just like the Shingrix shot.
A couple of the 45 participants of the phase I trial were on TV last night. One of them had to go to the ER due to high fever, etc. He was one of the high dosage people. It sounds like side effects are common. These 45 were younger and healthy. The next phase will have some older people in it. We'll see how they react to the vaccine. I think Phase 2 will only use the medium dose - not the high dose.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I've often thought that it is starkly showing that the lack of self-discipline in the US compared to the rest of the world is not helpful in managing a contagion.
+1
Old 07-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1
Our governor issued a state wide public place indoor mask order effective today. Now individual sheriff departments are saying they won't enforce it.

Who knew we wanted to keep the spread going? I'm amazed at the continued denial of science.
MRG is offline   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1
Our governor issued a state wide public place indoor mask order effective today. Now individual sheriff departments are saying they won't enforce it.

Who knew we wanted to keep the spread going? I'm amazed at the continued denial of science.
Our city passed an ordinance requiring masks but watered down the penalty so much that a lot of people will ignore it. Our Governor won't issue a state-wide order. He also likes to site total hospital beds instead of ICU beds so it sounds like we're a lot better off than we really are. ICU bed in my city are getting close to being full, but according to the Gov' we'd have to have 7 times as many cases as we do now to be a problem.

Oh, and this is the Governor that contracted the virus. "Just a little tickle".
Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Come for good news, get politics instead. Sigh.

JoeWras is offline   Reply
Old 07-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Come for good news, get politics instead. Sigh.
I'm afraid there isn't going to be much good news until all sides work together.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
The death and hospitalization data I do find to be most relevant, though even flawed data can be instructive if you understand its limits.
Montecfo is offline   Reply
US Housing starts climb 17.3%
Old 07-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

US Housing starts climb 17.3%

US homebuilding grew sharply in June, beating analysts' expectations.

Within the data is further good news for owners of suburban real estate, as telecommuting workers exit cities.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-hou...123747404.html
Montecfo is offline   Reply
Closed Thread