Lots of good news today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweden

Even with an effective vaccine, drugmakers and governments would then face a daunting task in ramping up manufacturing, distributing the doses, and convincing people to take them.

I wouldn't start picking out that Halloween costume yet. Unless you want to go in a full-coverage HAZMAT suit.

That second part, convincing people to take them, should be interesting. I wonder if the number of anti-vaxxers for this will be about the same as before, fewer, or more.

I get the flu shot every year, and got my two Shingrix shots as soon as they were available. I suspect this one will be even harder to get than that one was, and that one took months.

I wouldn't start picking out that Halloween costume yet. Unless you want to go in a full-coverage HAZMAT suit.

That second part, convincing people to take them, should be interesting. I wonder if the number of anti-vaxxers for this will be about the same as before, fewer, or more.

I get the flu shot every year, and got my two Shingrix shots as soon as they were available. I suspect this one will be even harder to get than that one was, and that one took months.

Plus there are some polls showing that people are worried that the vaccines may be rushed through.

The mechanisms to make people take the vaccines might be things like schools requiring them, maybe employers too.

If people are terminated for refusing to get vaccinated, could they have a strong case for wrongful termination?

Nobody said it was "all systems go" just because you have a vaccine. But distributing it and building confidence have been done before and represent lower hurdles than the vaccine.

And of course everyone will not need a vaccine for overall effectiveness.

The US economy added almost 1.8M jobs in July, pushing the unemployment rate down to 10.2%.

Both figures were better than analysts' expectations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/jobs-report-july-2020.html

There is so much zigzagging of those who are filing for unemployment and those who are returning to work. It'll be interesting to see where the equilibrium will be. I wonder if this will impact the current negotiations on stimulus.

Below analysts' expectations, maybe, but still FAR above where it was at this time last year (4%, maybe?). The way this pandemic is going, I don't see a lot of these jobs coming back anytime soon, either.

Unemployment is in excess of the worst level of the financial crisis.

Unemployment is in excess of the worst level of the financial crisis.

Indeed.
There weren't any weeks in the 2008 period where the weekly new claims for unemployment number were over 1m.

Vaccine sooner than we think?

Vaccine could be ready sooner than expected due to coronavirus infection spikes, which allow potential vaccines to show protective qualities more quickly. Could be as soon as early October according to analysts.

Article (paywall, sorry) suggests Moderna, Pfizer and AstraZeneca are in the best position. Right behind them are J&J, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/a-covid-vaccine-could-be-ready-sooner-than-you-think-51596794401

Vaccine could be ready sooner than expected due to coronavirus infection spikes, which allow potential vaccines to show protective qualities more quickly. Could be as soon as early October according to analysts.

Article (paywall, sorry) suggests Moderna, Pfizer and AstraZeneca are in the best position. Right behind them are J&J, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/a-covid-vaccine-could-be-ready-sooner-than-you-think-51596794401

That would surely be wonderful. An answer to prayers. Let’s hope so.

This is an interesting and kinda funny thread. Seems Montecfo comes along and posts some type of positive news. Followed by 3-4 posters who poo poo it with negativity. Rinse and repeat. I appreciate Montecfo for at least trying. The negative stuff is all too easy to find.

That would surely be wonderful. An answer to prayers. Let’s hope so.

This is an interesting and kinda funny thread. Seems Montecfo comes along and posts some type of positive news. Followed by 3-4 posters who poo poo it with negativity. Rinse and repeat. I appreciate Montecfo for at least trying. The negative stuff is all too easy to find.

The problem is that the "positive" stuff is mostly wishful thinking. Great, we have a maybe partially effective vaccine with rushed development, spotty availability, and safety protocols thrown out the window. Big whoop.

Now is as good a time as any to watch some SNL:

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Nobody wants to face reality. Enjoy your fantasy world.

Well, this is the good news thread.

Why don't you post up your own bad news thread. I promise to not post any good news in it.

It's just science, corners not being cut despite "warp speed"

Public health experts and scientists insist that the government's "warp speed" initiative is not resulting in corners being cut and producing the vaccine rapidly.

Fauci: FDA "...not cutting corners...". But working in an expedited fashion.

Under Operation Warp Speed, vaccines are being produced now with government support as testing proceeds.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/public-health-experts-scientists-confident-vaccine-process-criticism/story?id=72216320

About "good news"

Good news gets so little notice but there is a lot out there. This thread simply highlights examples regularly.

We have made numerous adjustments due to COVID and its health and economic fallout. Without question that is true But the path to a better future will be paved with the good news that promises to make our lives better, and in fact is already doing so.

Public health experts and scientists insist that the government's "warp speed" initiative is not resulting in corners being cut and producing the vaccine rapidly.

Fauci: FDA "...not cutting corners...". But working in an expedited fashion.

Under Operation Warp Speed, vaccines are being produced now with government support as testing proceeds.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/public-health-experts-scientists-confident-vaccine-process-criticism/story?id=72216320

I trust Fauci.

However, several of the candidates are using a new delivery technology, the mRNA, which has NEVER been approved for use.

Also, the goal of Operation Warp Speed is to develop vaccines within a year.

May want to research Dengvaxia, a vaccine for Dengue Fever which took 20 years to develop.

They started vaccinating almost a million children in the Philippines and ADE developed more than a year after vaccination. The country revoked approval of the vaccine and blames it for hundreds of deaths.

Sanofi went ahead and relabeled the vaccine to be restricted only to 9 to 45 years of age and to people previously infected with Dengue Fever only.

It was subsequently approved in Europe and by the FDA under these restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom