Lots of good news today

Status
Not open for further replies.
US homebuilding grew sharply in June, beating analysts' expectations.

Within the data is further good news for owners of suburban real estate, as telecommuting workers exit cities.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-housing-starts-accelerate-june-123747404.html

That IS good news!

In my city, listings of existing houses for sale are low and houses in my neighborhood are selling quick. I know back in March/April a ton of listings were taken off the market and never returned. Seems people are hunkering down to some extent.

I don’t see the good news in a death count among states.

I get dozens of “news” pop ups a day. Here’s the latest. Now cholesterol reducing drug may cure COVID.

https://knowridge.com/2020/07/this-...drug-may-downgrade-covid-19-to-a-common-cold/

OK - this is wild. I’m still essentially on a ketogenic diet. Hmm I think I’ll continue to keep my blood sugar very low and maintain fat burning ketosis!
Over the last three months, the team had focused on the ways in which the SARS-CoV-2 changes patients’ lungs in order to reproduce itself.

They found this virus prevents the routine burning of carbohydrates. As a result, large amounts of fat accumulate inside lung cells, a condition the virus needs in order to reproduce.

This new understanding of SARS CoV-2 may help explain why patients with high blood sugar and cholesterol levels are often at a particularly high risk to develop COVID-19.

That IS good news!

In my city, listings of existing houses for sale are low and houses in my neighborhood are selling quick. I know back in March/April a ton of listings were taken off the market and never returned. Seems people are hunkering down to some extent.

Selling quickly here too in DC suburbs. Prices appear to be rising pretty rapidly.

Deaths per 100,000 per NYT as of 3:30PM today.

New York 165
California 19
Florida 22
Texas 13
New Jersey 177
Arizona 36

What is the purpose of this post?Is it to contrast NY/NJ vs. the other mentioned states, or to show that things are not too bad in the current hotspot states, or something else?

What is the purpose of this post?Is it to contrast NY/NJ vs. the other mentioned states, or to show that things are not too bad in the current hotspot states, or something else?

Based on Winemaker's other posts I would guess that he is saying things are not so bad, there are just a few hundred deaths per 100,000. But it looks pretty bad to me.

This whole thread is a farce, so why not let winemaker have their fun?

Three houses on my street in a Connecticut shoreline town have sold in the past month. All three to couples leaving Brooklyn, and all at or above the asking price.
The couple at the end of our road have sold their house in less than a month... it took the previous owner about 3 years to sell. Buyers are from FL

Meanwhile, I just got my FL voting card in the mail today

Based on Winemaker's other posts I would guess that he is saying things are not so bad, there are just a few hundred deaths per 100,000. But it looks pretty bad to me.

Yeah I guess 140k deaths are not that bad. It is still in the 100-250k range estimate.:cool:

Would you spit in a tube every week to end the pandemic?

Coronavirus spit test trial in Southampton is underway. If it proves successful it is a much simpler test, done at home and faster to turn around. Could be a game changer, or just another inaccurate test.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53437555

More than 10,000 GP and other key workers and their families in the city are involved in the project.

"We think saliva is a really important fluid to test," says Keith Godfrey at the University of Southampton, who is helping to co-ordinate the trial.

"The salivary glands are the first place in the body that the virus infects. It seems people become positive in their saliva before the rest of their breathing tubes.

"If we are seeking to pick up people in the early course of the infection, this may be the way forwards."

The success of the trial depends on how accurate the saliva test is at detecting coronavirus.

The samples from the Southampton study are being processed at the Animal and Plant Health Agency government laboratories in Surrey. The samples are added to a solution and heated to release the genetic material of the virus. The method, known as RT-Lamp, takes around 20 minutes, compared to several hours for PCR testing.

"We are very excited," says Prof Ian Brown, head of virology. "We had some major breakthroughs in the past few weeks, in terms of overcoming technical challenges in being able to use the saliva test."

This is where things get interesting. If the pilot trial goes well, the entire city of Southampton, more than 250,000 people, could be offered weekly saliva tests.

"If we're looking to reopen society and the economy, this may be a way of monitoring the presence of the virus in communities and picking up outbreaks before lockdowns are needed," says Prof Godfrey.

That's a good one Alan. Real-time-consumer-performed testing (while still a ways off) I think could be a real bridge to vaccines, although scaling is usually the biggest issue.

That's a good one Alan. Real-time-consumer-performed testing (while still a ways off) I think could be a real bridge to vaccines, although scaling is usually the biggest issue.

IF the Southampton experiment works and they manage to consistently test the population of Southampton, 250,000 people, every week using this new type of simpler RT-Lamp test then lab testing will quickly scale up. This week the PM said the target was to increase the capacity of the current PCR test from 300,000/day to 500,000/day by the end of October. Since the RT-Lamp test takes 20 minutes instead of several hours for the PCR test that in itself would greatly improve throughput.

Fingers crossed.

Rutgers had a saliva test.

But it still required sending the sample to the labs.

Still should have potentially been better because you don't need workers in PPE taking swab samples.

Rutgers had a saliva test.

But it still required sending the sample to the labs.

Still should have potentially been better because you don't need workers in PPE taking swab samples.

The excerpt I posted above explains that the sample has to be sent to the lab, and the type of test used by the lab, which only takes 20 minutes instead of several hours for a PCR test.

Here is a bit of positive news for virus treatment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53467022

"The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 dramatically reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.
The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.
The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.
The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.
Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.
It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.
In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days"

Here is a bit of positive news for virus treatment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53467022

"The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 dramatically reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.
The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.
The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.
The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.
Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.
It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.
In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days"

Yes that is good news. Treatments that are effective.

AstraZeneca's vaccine candidate produced positive response in early stage trial, the company announced.

The company is ramping up production so that the vaccine could be distributed quickly if successful.

The article notes that there are at least 100 vaccine candidates, and 23 are in human trials according to WHO.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/20/oxf...sitive-immune-response-in-an-early-trial.html

That is good news! Here is a site that does some vaccine tracking to see how well they are coming along:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/n...vaccine-tracker-how-close-are-we-to-a-vaccine

I wouldn't worry about getting a vaccine, lots of others will be ahead of us in line and we will be so far back that the consequences of a particular vaccine will be well known.

The issue with the tests is that pharma isn't building more labs because they have determined that this is a short term (like 2-3 year) need and labs are expensive to build. We really need that home kit where the reagents are included. I have heard that it functions like a pregnancy test and may cost as little as $1.00. Likely not 100% reliable but if you use it several days in a row the results are reliable. Listen to TWIV podcast from about a week ago as they interview a public health physician from Harvard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom