Mask fashions - Show and tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_9352.JPG

That's great! I'm impressed with the hand stitching.

I finally had to go shopping last night (empty fridge syndrome) and saw all kinds of homemade masks - many of them bandanna and scarves rigged up in some way or other.

Locally there is a burgeoning biz in selling handmade masks. Most are in the $10-$15 range. They must be faster sewers than I am and I'm betting you put in even more time than I did. Safe travels to you; nicely done.

You are all doing a creative job making masks. If you have Velcro you can use a small piece on the end of cloth straps if you don't have elastic.

A friend sent me a picture entitled that has a naked attractive young woman who has not only the expected tan lines from the bikini top and bottom but also had tan lines around her face from a mask and around her hands from gloves. Pretty funny.

Back into the COVID-19 shopping jungle with my multilayered disguise - er, mask:

Attachments

• 20200405-Clipboard01 - Copy.jpg
    20200405-Clipboard01 - Copy.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 403
jollystomper, Your pic reminds me of my aunts favorite movie, "The Fly".

DW has been sewing fabric masks with elastic straps and pipe cleaner nose bridges for several groups of people. Will be getting 6 layer air filtration pads and 70 yd. roll of elastic delivered from ebay next Tuesday for improved versions using 2 layers of fabric with pocket for filter.

50 filter pads, (should last for a month or more for intermittent use), and 70yds. of elastic for less than $40.00. Have lots of fabric around the house! :LOL:

Attachments

• 2.5.jpg
    2.5.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 74
  • elastic.jpg
    elastic.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 75
jollystomper, Your pic reminds me of my aunts favorite movie, "The Fly".

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

When entering Costco this morning a worker laughed and asked me if the goggles were really necessary. I told her that I get hay fever this time of year, one of my symptoms is itchy, watery eyes, and the goggles keep me from both getting pollen into them and from rubbing them. She changed her tune to wow, I did not know that, I will have to tell my dad.

830F0366-A8C9-42A6-8946-EC44EADB4013.jpeg

Here is my first ever mask attempt. I inherited my mother’s 1960’s era Singer sewing machine nearly 2 years ago, and I have been too intimidated by it to even try hemming a simple pants . . . until now. Downloaded the instruction manual on the free website, cut the pattern from pants I was originally going to donate to Goodwill (but is now closed), so I thought, what the h___, let’s just cut it. I made just about every beginner’s error one could make. Took me nearly an hour to figure out how to thread the bobbin. At first I thought I would wing it . . . until I broke the bobbin. Read the 4 pages of directions about the bobbin (who would have thought it was so technical?), and finally got it threaded. Then I was off! Was nearly complete until the machine’s sewing needle suddenly snapped while I was stitching the ear loops, and the sharp end of the needle came flying off and hit me on the chest. I was so glad I was wearing glasses, because if that piece had hit me in the eye, I would have been in the ER with . . . you guessed it, all the people I have been trying to stay 6 miles from. Anyway, the ear loops are made from nylons. It’s stretchy and more comfortable (and more obtainable for that matter) compared to elastic.

On YouTube: Making a mask from a sock.

Reactions: jj
I made this for my husband...

... from up cycled material & my large supply of random buttons. I'm no seamstress (obviously) so I went for quick & dirty. The pins (at the top only) make it adjustable- the ends go into pockets on the backside.

It started out as a joke. :D

Attachments

• 100_3262.jpg
    100_3262.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 56
Went out like this today, received some strange looks, I wonder why?

Attachments

• IMG_1782-1.JPG
    IMG_1782-1.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: jj
It's your Dia de los Muertos mask. They scare some people (but it is funny to me!).

Perhaps it's not the mask, but rather the ability to stand horizontally that scares them?

We were just out for a walk, and DW said she was going to fashion a mask out of a coffee filter and hold it on with Scotch tape.

My obvious accusatory response, in keeping with today's fad, was "Racist". :)

Similar to the sock video, I made one using an old pair of leggings.

Masks

I use craftpassion.com pattern with pocket option, no filter insert yet and pipe cleaner for nose fitting. The pattern took serious time to make but I’m getting faster after making about 10 for DH, my parents, DDand friends. Will be making more for sisters and their families, aim to give each person 2 masks each for changing option. I tried the pleated version, not a favorite and a much better and simpler from YouTube https://youtu.be/zm_NmpdgWWA So far the craft passion fits best, just more time consuming and I use the T-shirt yarn for adjustable ties behind the head instead of elastic over the ears.
Seriously thinking about upgrading the sewing machine 😛

Attachments

• A6AE445A-CBE9-404B-83C9-606FA111DD4C.jpg
    A6AE445A-CBE9-404B-83C9-606FA111DD4C.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 51
  • C13771E9-3762-4784-BFF8-4EB14F357A07.jpeg
    C13771E9-3762-4784-BFF8-4EB14F357A07.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 48
  • BEA4D9B7-0B05-479B-BCE7-8030B679BE3B.jpg
    BEA4D9B7-0B05-479B-BCE7-8030B679BE3B.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 49
Thought I'd bump this old thread.

I just made my third batch of masks. The first pattern I used (first batch) didn't have a nose wire and didn't quite cover the chin... Maybe we just have long faces in our household.

2nd batch used a pattern I like better - has the nose wire, is tall enough to go from the bridge of the nose to the chin. Made a bunch for myself and the family.

I take a longish walk daily with the dog - and have decided I need to be able to toss the mask in the wash as soon as I get home. After an hour if walking it is damp and gross. So I didn't have enough masks for myself despite having made to batches.

3rd batch I modified to sew the wire in (I had it extractable until I figured out that pipe cleaners can indeed be washed. I also did two with elastic over the ears vs ties.

All have pockets for filters and are 2 layers plus filter.

I am *NOT* a seamstress.... but am happy with the results.

The tan one is the first version, made from an old pillowcase and sacrificial shoe laces for ties.

The blue and green one is batch two with braided ribbon for the ties.

The black and red one is the latest, with elastic ear loops.
IMG_20200520_125101.jpegIMG_20200520_125121.jpegIMG_20200520_125220.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom