Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Masks and bandanas are available at grocery stores and hardware stores in our area. Look around the checkouts. I've also seen cloth masks on etsy. As far as filtering the KN95 doesn't seem to do anything more than the cloth masks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Masks and bandanas are available at grocery stores and hardware stores in our area. Look around the checkouts. I've also seen cloth masks on etsy. As far as filtering the KN95 doesn't seem to do anything more than the cloth masks.
From what I have read, the KN95 "should" be close to an N95, so better than a cloth mask. But, in actual use, most folks have never really worn a mask before (except for may be dust prevention) and have no idea how to use it properly the get the full effectiveness.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
From what I have read, the KN95 "should" be close to an N95, so better than a cloth mask. But, in actual use, most folks have never really worn a mask before (except for may be dust prevention) and have no idea how to use it properly the get the full effectiveness.
Thank you! I had poor expectations and it lived up because I didn't know how to properly adjust it!
This guy shows how to wear a mask. Is he doing it properly from your experience? He's enjoying his 5 minutes and expanded it to 12. He shows surgical masks around 4:20, and KN95 around 8:30. My KN95 fits better after practice with the sealing.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/VB-ebHu2BwI
Old 05-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #24

^^ Thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #25

Discount Surgical Stockings just started advertising that they are selling KN 95 masks. I'm happy with my washable cloth ones (I'm up to 4 now), but these might interest some folks here.

https://www.discountsurgical.com/?gc...hoCInAQAvD_BwE

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm getting a lot of solitiations from various online clothes sales outfits for masks. Apparently any clothing company worth a cr*p has converted to mask creation. I've purchased 4 cloth masks, 2 on Etsy, two from clothing companies, and all were from firms that repurposed their clothing production to make masks.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Apparently any clothing company worth a cr*p has converted to mask creation.
I kind of like this. Maybe it's more important to women, but I'm in the market for nice fabrics and attractive patterns. Mask as fashion is going to be a thing.

You heard it hear first: I predict Vogue will feature a masked model/actress on their cover by year end.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I kind of like this. Maybe it's more important to women, but I'm in the market for nice fabrics and attractive patterns. Mask as fashion is going to be a thing.

You heard it hear first: I predict Vogue will feature a masked model/actress on their cover by year end.
two of the masks I purchased were from women's apparel companies, one made lingerie.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Thank you! I had poor expectations and it lived up because I didn't know how to properly adjust it!
This guy shows how to wear a mask. Is he doing it properly from your experience? He's enjoying his 5 minutes and expanded it to 12. He shows surgical masks around 4:20, and KN95 around 8:30. My KN95 fits better after practice with the sealing.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/VB-ebHu2BwI
Thank you! The video you found is exactly what people need to see before they wear a mask.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:25 AM   #30

I use these masks from Thailand. I have several masks that I can wash and you purchase a bunch of replaceable filters. I use the filters for about a week and then discard them.

https://www.style-seal.com
Old 05-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Lots of masks from China on Amazon. I don't see why people are paranoid about Chinese masks. We outsourced our production to China decades ago.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #32

The sweat shops in LA changed over to making masks. And I believe two of my cotton masks were made in Los Angeles.

"Mayor Eric Garcetti has called on the city’s garment industry to step up during the COVID-19 crisis, as hospital workers face shortages of personal protective equipment and all Angelenos are required to wear masks when entering stores."
(Most the article is about sweatshops, not masks. The link is here for a source)

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...n-minimum-wage

Old 05-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
two of the masks I purchased were from women's apparel companies, one made lingerie.
Can you post a link?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Can you post a link?
Here are the links. For the masks, they all took almost a month to get. I'm getting multiple masks because they do wear out eventually and it looks like we will need the masks for possibly another year.

I like these ones from Los Angeles. And they can still be ordered on Etsy. It's a three layer, the middle layer is made of polyester with a PUL coating.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FervorFitF...about-shopname
instagram is https://www.instagram.com/myfervorfit/?hl=en

The other three layer ones I like and wear most often don't seem to be on sale on Etsy any longer. they were from Minnesota. The company name is 'reusablemasks'

I'm expecting to get these this week (made in Chicago)
https://food52.com/shop/products/742..._term=20295929

I also pre ordered these ones for June. I don't know where they are made. https://www.vistaprint.com/masks/

Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I ordered cloth masks through amazon but they were taking forever to arrive so I went to etsy.com and ordered some cloth masks. I had never been on that site before. I think it’s individuals who are good at crafts who sell their items. I bought four masks so I could get free shipping and they were mailed out within an hour. I got them in 3 days. Good quality, washable, sturdy. Made by a lady somewhere in the US. There’s a pocket for a filter. I liked that I was helping to support an individual in the US, and was very pleased with the quick service.

Are they as good as N95 masks? I have no idea. Probably not since N95’s are medical quality. But for my purposes, they work fine, and (knock on wood) I’m still virus-free.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I suspect that the vast majority of cheap KN95 masks are made in China. The ones I was looking at on eBay earlier all seemed to have both Chinese and English text on the packaging. I'm not sure why this would be a deterrent to purchasing/using them, though, unless you have some reason to believe the quality is dangerously low or you have a philosophical/political aversion to buying stuff made in China.
I am afraid that the masks may not meet the proper standards. There have been imports of knockoffs that have hit the market. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a knockoff or the patented product. I will only buy the 3M brand that I believe to be authentic.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopycat View Post
so I went to etsy.com and ordered some cloth masks. I had never been on that site before. I think it’s individuals who are good at crafts who sell their items. .
I really like Etsy. It's my go to place for dog collars, non-toxic candles, and now face masks.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I use these masks from Thailand. I have several masks that I can wash and you purchase a bunch of replaceable filters. I use the filters for about a week and then discard them.

https://www.style-seal.com
It doesn't look like they will ship out of Thailand anymore. From their FAQ:

Quote:
Do you ship internationally?
Unfortunately, the Thai government has forbidden the export of face mask products including ours. This means we are not allowed to ship any products outside of Thailand. We are very sorry about this, and hope the ban will be lifted in the near future.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
While I might use a mask for a max of 1 hour that was really an example, and only happened once when visiting a relative.

When I pick up takeout once per week curbside, I wear my mask 15 minutes at the place. I don't wear it driving to/fro.

When picking up groceries at Walmart it's the same literally 15 minutes of mask wearing once per week.

So 1/2 hour every week use, and rotation amount 2 masks (so each mask is used 15 min per week) , means I should replace my masks in use (2 at a time) once every 8 months, which seems about right. My masks show no sign of wear so far, not like when I would work in them and they would be worn and dirty in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
It doesn't look like they will ship out of Thailand anymore. From their FAQ:
Oh . . . sorry. I forgot about that.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My elderly mom has asked me to find her some masks on the internet. She has a cloth mask someone made her and a disposable mask from the doctor's office and she says she has difficulty breathing out of both of them--she feels like she might pass out when she wears them. She lives in an independent living apartment in a continuing care retirement community and she is required to wear a mask when she goes out of her apartment. Also the closet large town just made masks mandatory. Mother thinks masks are a good idea and wants to wear one when she goes out but she needs to be able to breathe too.

Any suggestions for masks I could buy for my mother online that might be easier for her breathing? Thanks.
Closed Thread