Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Military Commissaries and coronavirus shortages
Old 03-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Military Commissaries and coronavirus shortages

I know there are a number of active military/military retirees on this board. For those who regularly shop at commissaries I'm curious whether or not there are the same same shortages of TP, hand sanitizer, cleaning products, beans, etc. that so many super markets are experiencing. We don't live particularly close to any commissaries and normally only visit one about 2-3 tines annually to stock up on certain items. (I'm retired USN).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We went once earlier this month. No TP. The chicken cases were empty. I was naive and thought they were cleaning. Now hours are specified for AD Mil and then “others”. When picking up a RX we stop at DeCA. Rarely a stand alone trip. (DH retired USN, I USA vet) I know AAFES no longer accepts cash and online is supporting OCONUS first.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #3

I'll let you know since I'm planning a visit this week.
My nearest commissary has set some special hours:
Wed 0900-1000 active duty only
Thu 0900-1000 over 65
Fri 0900-1000 active duty only
Otherwise no changes I'm aware of.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #4

We usually go to the commissary about every 6-8 weeks. It's an hour from home each way so we stock up on each trip. These days we would probably be called hoarders, but given the distance, stocking up makes sense. Yes, the savings make it worth the trip if we can stock up. That's our usual shopping pattern.

Our last trip was 5 weeks ago and we were able to get everything on our list at that time. We haven't gone since, partly because we don't need it yet, and partly because we expect they will have the same shortages as everyone else. Not worth the trip if we can't get most of what we need.

We do top off with perishable items at local grocery stores between commissary trips, and we do that about once every 4 or 5 days.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
We usually go to the commissary about every 6-8 weeks. It's an hour from home each way so we stock up on each trip. These days we would probably be called hoarders, but given the distance, stocking up makes sense. Yes, the savings make it worth the trip if we can stock up. That's our usual shopping pattern.

Our last trip was 5 weeks ago and we were able to get everything on our list at that time. We haven't gone since, partly because we don't need it yet, and partly because we expect they will have the same shortages as everyone else. Not worth the trip if we can't get most of what we need.

We do top off with perishable items at local grocery stores between commissary trips, and we do that about once every 4 or 5 days.
For that long of a drive, could you phone them and ask are they out of X (example TP). It might save you a trip.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
For that long of a drive, could you phone them and ask are they out of X (example TP). It might save you a trip.
We could do that for a small number of items, but not for the majority of a shopping list. Might consider it when our pantry runs low in 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #7

We live about 2 miles from the commissary and go at least once a week. That has slowed to once every 2 weeks. There is a good chance that may be extended. I know which aisle things are on and get in and out as fast as I can. There have been a lack or shortage of some items when I have gone - chicken, dried beans, milk, some veggies/fruit, potatoes, oatmeal, flour, almond milk, a variety of frozen foods, some paper goods, but it may be the day or time I have been shopping.

There doesn't seem to be a concern over keeping a distance. That is disturbing to me since military travels all over the world and testing availability is no different than for the general public. It would seem to me that there would be a greater risk of contracting the virus because of the travel exposure and frequency. Who really knows at this point.

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #8

Visited the commissary today, first time in a month or so. Fewer patrons than usual, and a few wearing masks. Shelves seemed to be about 75% of the usual stockage in all areas, which was slightly worse than my local Kroger. I was there shortly after they opened, so it probably got busier lately, but not bad for a Monday morning. It's an hour's drive for me, so I probably won't be back there for quite a while.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't checked our local commissary as they tend to run out of stuff when there isn't mass hysteria going on. So, I just assumed that it would be much worse than normal.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies. It would be an hour - or an hour + for me (Hanscomb AFB or Newport Naval Station, respectively) and it sounds like no compelling reasons to make the trip at the moment.