Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2021, 11:20 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
J.

The general communications has been that mixing and matching seems to be more effective (though personally, I haven't dove into the reports).
I hope to visit Europe next year, but as of now the Covid rate in many European countries is rising. What I don't know is what percent are new cases among those not vaccinated, relatively mild breakthrough cases, and serious breakthrough cases. I wish the people who publish this information would be more detailed.

So far I am a Pfizer guy, but if I need another booster and a more current version is not available, I think I will go for Moderna just to play the diversity card.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Chuckanut there's pretty widespread agreement that Moderna appears to offer superior protection.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But the Moderna half booster is still stronger than the Pfizer full booster.

I’m not sure of the basis for my doctor’s recommendation, but I trust him. He’s done a great job looking after my husband and me for 25+ years. So I followed his advice about taking the Pfizer booster rather than J&J or the half dose of Moderna. I think there is a lot we still don’t know about the boosters so we just have to make the best decision we can and rely on information sources that we trust. For us, that’s our doctor.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:57 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But the Moderna half booster is still stronger than the Pfizer full booster.
I hope that is correct. We started with Moderna because that was what was available at CVS at the time. We'll stick with Moderna now, having heard good things about it. No idea if any of this applies to individuals, however, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
Just to add some colour, in Canada we've had a significant cohort of mix and match vaccinations due to a push for taking the first available vaccine, multiple streams of vaccinations (age, first responders, communities, pop-ups, pharmacy, etc), and then dropping AZ and keeping only Pfizer and Moderna (to keep things simpler?).

The general communications has been that mixing and matching seems to be more effective (though personally, I haven't dove into the reports).
I originally got the J&J, not because I wanted a shot but because I anticipated needing it to cruise. I hate shots & that was 1 and done. But switched to the Moderna booster because someone here stated it provided over 75× more protection and the Philharmonic & another cruise in 16 days, Pfizer was in the mid 40s, and J&J was only 4× additional protection. (See, I listen). Fortunately the pharmacist or NP (not sure which) let everyone pick whatever they wanted. I felt sick the 1st night so I just drank a large glass of wine and slept. Yesterday my arm was sore. But 36 hrs later I'm fine.

Hope this isn't a yearly thing.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I originally got the J&J, not because I wanted a shot but because I anticipated needing it to cruise. I hate shots & that was 1 and done. But switched to the Moderna booster because someone here stated it provided over 75× more protection and the Philharmonic & another cruise in 16 days, Pfizer was in the mid 40s, and J&J was only 4× additional protection. (See, I listen). Fortunately the pharmacist or NP (not sure which) let everyone pick whatever they wanted. I felt sick the 1st night so I just drank a large glass of wine and slept. Yesterday my arm was sore. But 36 hrs later I'm fine.

Hope this isn't a yearly thing.
+1 on your hope.

But the realist in me thinks it will be yearly for at least 2-3 more years. We will need to Grin and Bear It.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #87
Administrator

As mentioned above it turned out that we had Novavax as our 2nd blind vaccine, AstraZenecca was our first and we had zero side effects with the 2nd jab so that if we had not known otherwise would have thought we had been given a placebo. It appears that Novavax also generates “a robust response” when combined with either AstraZenecca or Pfizer. We both had zero side effects, unlike the AZ and Pfizer jabs we had and that also appears to be a finding in the study. (We had Pfizer as our booster a couple of weeks ago). It also looks like Novavax is about to be approved in the UK and with the very low side effects plus high efficacy may well be the vaccine of choice in the UK when/if they decide to offer Covid vaccines to the under 12s

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...e_iOSApp_Other

Quote:

Clinical trials suggest that two doses of the Novavax jab have an efficacy of about 90% against symptomatic Covid – similar to the other approved UK vaccines. It is also undergoing “mix and match” testing with the Oxford/AstraZeneca or Pfizer/BioNTech jabs and preliminary data suggest it generates a robust immune response when given as the second dose.

But it is the emerging signs of reduced side-effects that could make Novavax particularly attractive.

Trial data appear to show the potential for lower “reactogenicity” compared with existing jabs, meaning side-effects such as injection-site swelling, fatigue, headaches and muscle pain occur less frequently. No direct head-to-head comparisons have yet been done, however, and further studies are needed.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Trial data appear to show the potential for lower “reactogenicity” compared with existing jabs, meaning side-effects such as injection-site swelling, fatigue, headaches and muscle pain occur less frequently.
I was very interested to read, and also somewhat surprised, that the Novavax vaccine generally has few side-effects. The reason I am surprised is that the Novavax vaccine contains an adjuvant made from saponins derived from the bark of a Chilean tree, Quillaja saponaria. The Shingrix vaccine also contains an adjuvant derived from the same tree, and that adjuvant was thought to be the reason why side-effects from Shingrix tend to be stronger than other vaccines. The adjuvant is also thought to be an important part of why Shingrix has a high efficacy. Shingrix was the first human vaccine to use an adjuvant from Quillaja saponaria. I believe that the Shingrix and Novavax adjuvants are not 100% identical, but both contain saponins from the same tree bark. The Novavax adjuvant apparently contains 2 molecules isolated from the tree bark. One of those molecules is in the Shingrix vaccine. I believe that Novavax patented their adjuvant, "Matrix-M", which contains other molecules as well.

I had a severe reaction from my 1st Shingrix dose (complete deafness in one ear, fortunately reversed thanks to prompt treatment with an oral steroid). My primary care physician, as well as two friends who are physicians, all told me to not get the 2nd Shingrix dose, and I followed their advice. My PCP also put an entry in my electronic medical record stating that I am "allergic" to Shingrix. Because of my experience with Shingrix, I decided that I would not have gotten the Novavax vaccine had it been available to me. That didn't stop me from getting vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, which was the first Covid vaccine I was able to get. I had minimal side effects to all 3 Pfizer doses I've now received, and I've never had any strong side effects to any other vaccine, including Zostovax, the earlier, less effective, shingles vaccine.

Here's an interesting article about the adjuvant in the Novavax vaccine, as well as information about the Chilean plant.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...st-2021-10-06/
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #89
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I was very interested to read, and also somewhat surprised, that the Novavax vaccine generally has few side-effects. The reason I am surprised is that the Novavax vaccine contains an adjuvant made from saponins derived from the bark of a Chilean tree, Quillaja saponaria. The Shingrix vaccine also contains an adjuvant derived from the same tree, and that adjuvant was thought to be the reason why side-effects from Shingrix tend to be stronger than other vaccines. The adjuvant is also thought to be an important part of why Shingrix has a high efficacy. Shingrix was the first human vaccine to use an adjuvant from Quillaja saponaria. I believe that the Shingrix and Novavax adjuvants are not 100% identical, but both contain saponins from the same tree bark. The Novavax adjuvant apparently contains 2 molecules isolated from the tree bark. One of those molecules is in the Shingrix vaccine. I believe that Novavax patented their adjuvant, "Matrix-M", which contains other molecules as well.

I had a severe reaction from my 1st Shingrix dose (complete deafness in one ear, fortunately reversed thanks to prompt treatment with an oral steroid). My primary care physician, as well as two friends who are physicians, all told me to not get the 2nd Shingrix dose, and I followed their advice. My PCP also put an entry in my electronic medical record stating that I am "allergic" to Shingrix. Because of my experience with Shingrix, I decided that I would not have gotten the Novavax vaccine had it been available to me. That didn't stop me from getting vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, which was the first Covid vaccine I was able to get. I had minimal side effects to all 3 Pfizer doses I've now received, and I've never had any strong side effects to any other vaccine, including Zostovax, the earlier, less effective, shingles vaccine.

Here's an interesting article about the adjuvant in the Novavax vaccine, as well as information about the Chilean plant.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...st-2021-10-06/
So far it has only been given to about 30k trial participants so plenty more data to be collected. Indonesia and the Philippines have approved it so it will be rolled out to millions soon.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #90
Administrator

Novavax has now been approved by the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

Quote:
The approval of a new protein-based Covid-19 vaccine by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has led to hopes that it could play an important role in persuading millions of Germans who have refused jabs from existing vaccines to get protection against the disease this winter.

The EMA approved the two-dose Novavax vaccine on Monday afternoon. The German government’s vaccination advisory board is expected to follow suit and allow for its use soon, a move that would be welcomed by health experts who are bracing for a huge and imminent wave of infections caused by the new Omicron variant. The first doses of Novavax are expected to be administered in Germany in the new year.

The rollout of the vaccine – called Nuvaxovid – by the US-based drugmaker Novavax has been repeatedly hampered by a series of lengthy delays including production issues.

It is making its appearance in the battle against the virus about a year after the novel mRNA vaccines produced by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, and the viral vector vaccines made by Oxford/AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #91

I did the trifecta with AZ followed by Pfizer and then Moderna as my booster. Didn't really have any significant side effects with any of them.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:00 AM   #92
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I did the trifecta with AZ followed by Pfizer and then Moderna as my booster. Didn't really have any significant side effects with any of them.
Excellent.

Our son had a Pfizer booster yesterday following 2 AZ and it “knocked him off his feet”. Didn’t go into work which is something he rarely does. He’s fine today I think.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:26 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Excellent.

Our son had a Pfizer booster yesterday following 2 AZ and it “knocked him off his feet”. Didn’t go into work which is something he rarely does. He’s fine today I think.

Good immune response. Getting a reaction like that is reassuring. But having no reaction is just fine too.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #94

DW and I got the Moderna booster with very little side effect. I've heard others say that Pfizer has had stronger side effects around here.

I was a J&J guy, DW was Pfizer...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got the Pfizer booster yesterday. I had the two doses of maderna originally. Only reason I changed is that is what they had. I had to wait around about a hour behind all the Canadian snowbirds getting their shots.

My arm is sore today, ok otherwise.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

I received the Pfizer two dose series. So had my husband, so I signed him up for the Moderna booster. I wanted the Moderna booster too, just to mix it up a bit. Unfortunately, when I was due my booster a colleague (who had been making village trips to deliver Pfizer booster shots) called during one of my shifts at the hospital desperately searching for someone who needed a booster. He had a Pfizer dose that would expire in 30 minutes. Guilt drove me to raise my hand as I couldn’t stomach the thought of a dose going to waste lol.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
It would be really interesting to know what level of antibodies such a trifecta would generate. I have no idea - not even a SWAG. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote