Mix and match vaccine trial

Alan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
My wife and I volunteered for this, have passed the initial online screening and go to a hospital in Newcastle in a few days time for final screening and hopefully receive our 2nd jab as part of this trial. With all that has been going on with our son we figured volunteering for this would be a little something we can give back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56730526

A major UK trial looking at whether Covid vaccines can be mixed with different types of jabs used for first and second doses is being expanded.
Combining vaccines might give broader, longer-lasting immunity against the virus and new variants of it, and offer more flexibility to vaccine rollout.
Adults over 50 who have had a first dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca can apply to take part in the Com-Cov study.

Their second dose could be the same again, or a shot of Moderna or Novavax.
Chief investigator on the trial Prof Matthew Snape, from the Oxford Vaccine Group, said he hoped to recruit 1,050 volunteers who had already received one dose on the NHS in the past eight to 12 weeks.

More than 800 people are already taking part in the research and have received two doses of either Pfizer, AstraZeneca or a mix.

Results of this first stage are expected next month and the expanded trial should have some reportable findings by June or July - although the study will run for a year.

My wife and I volunteered for this, have passed the initial online screening and go to a hospital in Newcastle in a few days time for final screening and hopefully receive our 2nd jab as part of this trial. With all that has been going on with our son we figured volunteering for this would be a little something we can give back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56730526

Prof. Snape!? Hoo, boy, be careful!

What will they come up with next! :confused: Good luck...

Very interesting Alan, and I appreciate that you're more compelled to step up for this given Jeffrey's bout.

Still, you're braver than I am! It's one thing to sign up for the original trials last year, entirely another to sign up when you're one step away from getting the 2nd shot anyway. Can't say I'd be as generous, even for the greater good, given my 2nd is next week.

One rumor that came and went quickly a few months ago was that mixing up the mRNA and other types (like JnJ or AstroZenica) might actually result in stronger and longer lasting protection because of the differences in how the body perceives them. I have no idea if this is be true. I guess we might find out.

One rumor that came and went quickly a few months ago was that mixing up the mRNA and other types (like JnJ or AstroZenica) might actually result in stronger and longer lasting protection because of the differences in how the body perceives them. I have no idea if this is be true. I guess we might find out.

That is one of the aims of the trials. Initial trials have already been done with 800 volunteers and this is the next stage to determine if it doesn’t matter if you mix vaccines or if it even enhances the immune response.

It’s much more than “a little something” and very public spirited of you both to volunteer. Hopefully this will contribute to a more effective vaccine or more effective application.

It’s much more than “a little something” and very public spirited of you both to volunteer. Hopefully this will contribute to a more effective vaccine or more effective application.

Yes, your efforts are very much appreciated.

There is a 33% chance that we get the same vaccine as we already have had. There has already been a trial with 800 volunteers and we are confident that there are no safety issues.

There is a 33% chance that we get the same vaccine as we already have had. There has already been a trial with 800 volunteers and we are confident that there are no safety issues.

Best of luck and thank you for your pioneering spirit.

Now that I've had 2 shots of Moderna, I'd kind of like to get a "booster" of, let's say, Pfizer - when folks are finished getting their original immunity shots, of course. No idea of whether it would add any immunity, but I'd like to try. YMMV

For me any booster would need to have efficacy against the different new variants such as the South African variant, which Pfizer seems to be less effective against.

And they are working on it.

I especially thank the volunteers like Alan since they may also get the placebo. (Edit: maybe not Alan's specific trial which may not have a placebo. But still thank you!)

A couple we know we're in the Pfizer trail. She got the vaccine, he got the placebo. Neither got sick, yet both were critical to the study.

They were unblinded earlier this year and he immediately got the shot since he has health issues.

Last edited:
As far as I know, people who are 55 or younger and have already received the 1st shot of AstraZeneca in Canada will be getting a different vaccine for the 2nd shot, as AstraZeneca is now banned for people under 55.

As far as I know, people who are 55 or younger and have already received the 1st shot of AstraZeneca in Canada will be getting a different vaccine for the 2nd shot, as AstraZeneca is now banned for people under 55.

I had wondered about that, I think that it is good that they have the option of a different vaccine. I was talking with my brother in Australia yesterday and he said that the AZ vaccine is also banned for under 55's there but they don't have an alternative vaccine available yet.

We got our 2nd jab today but we don't know what it was.

We both had the AZ vaccine in February and today we either had the vaccine from AZ, Moderna or Novavax. Bloods taken, back in a month for more blood tests, keep an online daily diary of after-vaccine symptoms. We were also supplied with a thermometer to record our temperature each day.

There are 1050 volunteers, 525 who have had their 1st AZ jab and 525 who have had their 1st Pfizer jab. The AZ folks will have one of Moderna, AZ or Novavax. The Pfizer folks will get their 2nd jab as Moderna, Pfizer or Novavax.

If the ongoing blood tests show a big drop off in antibodies then we will be unblinded and receive jabs to remedy the situation. If a booster vaccine is developed for new variants then we can take it even though we are in the trial.

Zero side effects on Day 0, which is what we had with the 1st dose. It was the day after (Day 1) that we each had flu like symptoms for a day.

Let us know how you feel tomorrow. If you got Moderna, you are almost guaranteed to feel it significantly.

Absolutely no symptoms the day after the vaccine. Still not even any arm pain. The first jab of AZ in February left me with a sore arm and flu like symptoms the following day. My wife also has zero symptoms and no sore arm.

Wow! Interesting! We're all going to wonder along with you which type you got.

Wow! Interesting! We're all going to wonder along with you which type you got.
If all goes well we won’t be “unblinded” for 10 months, so we will be wondering what we got for a long time. The nature of the trial means that we know for certain we didn’t get a placebo.

If all goes well we won’t be “unblinded” for 10 months, so we will be wondering what we got for a long time. The nature of the trial means that we know for certain we didn’t get a placebo.

Yes, I think it is nice you don't have to worry about the placebo. I think the unique nature of your study is so clever. It is likely the second shot will give you some additional protection of some sort.

Here in North Carolina, we accidentally give out placebo. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Yes, I think it is nice you don't have to worry about the placebo. I think the unique nature of your study is so clever. It is likely the second shot will give you some additional protection of some sort.

Here in North Carolina, we accidentally give out placebo. :facepalm:

Wow, at least they discovered their mistake when they had excess vaccine at the end of the day and were able to contact their customers.

Let us know how you feel tomorrow. If you got Moderna, you are almost guaranteed to feel it significantly.

Not necessarily--DH and I both got 2 Moderna shots and had no side effects other than a sore arm

Not necessarily--DH and I both got 2 Moderna shots and had no side effects other than a sore arm

I also know people who had Moderna and had nothing but a sore arm. Weird how some people think that if they had a bad reaction then everyone will, or the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom