Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So glad you are feeling better, along with your DH.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #182
Confused about dryer sheets

I really hope that COVID will bypass you. This is really scary. I wish your husband a speedy recovery
Old 12-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWill1989 View Post
I really hope that COVID will bypass you. This is really scary. I wish your husband a speedy recovery
Thank you so much, but unfortunately, it didn't...sigh...but I'm well on the way to recovery!
Old 12-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #184

Latest update:
My "smeller" is back - though not what it was before, I can smell my perfume. Hoping for more to come back!

Horrible headache today. Thinking it's because I had one of my migraines coming on, and usually I can control it if I start right away with aspirin and then, if I need it, codeine, half at a time etc. But I haven't been letting myself take aspirin because I need to see if I have no fever for 24 hours so I can be let out of here. So I finally gave up and started taking aspirin and codeine and hopefully will be able to control this nasty headache soon...sigh...just what I need...But I've had no temp since last night. Yay!

We are both still more tired than usual. We hope to gain our energy back. It' hasn't stopped us from getting done what needs to be done - you can't have a fire (our major source of heat here) to keep the house warm without bringing in the wood from the woodpile, for example. We just are doing it more slowly and taking more breaks (smile!)

I still have a cough when I take a deep breath. Hubby still has his, too - that darned cough lingers.

But our oxygen is good - thank you to all who recommended we get the oximeter - it has really helped with our mental health, just knowing that we haven't started getting the pneumonia that everyone talks about as being the worst part of the covid.

Our health plan, Kaiser, has been very supportive, calling once a day to check on symptoms and see if I have any needs or questions.

Our neighbors and friends have been incredible, with texts and calls and offers to shop for us and bring us anything we need.

Looks like we made it!

And my deepest thanks to you all here...
Old 12-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Great post. Here is to continued good news and recovery.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Good for you! Have some good food and enjoy -
Old 12-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

All the best! Speedy Recovery !!!
Old 12-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #188
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually cough lingers for a few weeks and get worst at night. Hang in there. Wish you & your DH for a quick recovery.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

dr follow up

Went to doctor PCP monday - he recommended I take steroid inhaler to knock out lingering 'bronchiospasms' that I think are maybe inflammation. He is not all that COVID knowledgeable and approached it more from his own Asthma...but he mostly helped me relax on my inhaler concerns.

I had stopped Symbicort earlier because I felt like it was keeping me from sleeping and also it gives you a sore throat (which made me feel like I was at risk to get sick again)...also it lessens your immunity.

well I have used the puffer for last 24 hours (2 puffs, twice a day)...and I can tell it's gonna get me to the finish line. Gonna lay low due to low immunity, but worth it as it is helping me with productive cough and that pain i was getting at the end of a deep breath (I think CindyBlue or someone mentioned this).

Sorry to latch on to this thread, but seemed like as good a place as any to post it.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
Went to doctor PCP monday - he recommended I take steroid inhaler to knock out lingering 'bronchiospasms' that I think are maybe inflammation. He is not all that COVID knowledgeable and approached it more from his own Asthma...but he mostly helped me relax on my inhaler concerns.

I had stopped Symbicort earlier because I felt like it was keeping me from sleeping and also it gives you a sore throat (which made me feel like I was at risk to get sick again)...also it lessens your immunity.

well I have used the puffer for last 24 hours (2 puffs, twice a day)...and I can tell it's gonna get me to the finish line. Gonna lay low due to low immunity, but worth it as it is helping me with productive cough and that pain i was getting at the end of a deep breath (I think CindyBlue or someone mentioned this).

Sorry to latch on to this thread, but seemed like as good a place as any to post it.
This is a great place to post anything covid that might help anyone reading this thread! Thank you!

And I'm glad it is working for you! Lay low for awhile to protect yourself!

I keep telling hubby to mention to his doctor that he is still coughing...but if he he doesn't get better by the end of the week, I will (it sure helps to have the same doctor (evil grin!))

He is still coughing, and it still doesn't sound too good.

I, on the other hand am feeling great - so great, that I decided to give myself a pedicure yesterday - and threw out my back - arrrggghhh! I am sure glad all this is happening in 2020 - I want to start 2021 with everything out of the way!
Old 12-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

So happy to know you and your DH are on the mend, Cindy Blue! Wonderful news!
Old 12-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #192

This thread is very enlightening - thank you for creating it.

I wish both your husband and you a swift recovery from here on!
Old 12-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
This thread is very enlightening - thank you for creating it.

I wish both your husband and you a swift recovery from here on!
Thank you, Christine! We have our good days and "just ok" days...at least I finally got my DH to tell his doctor about the cough - now we are waiting for her response.

I learned a lot about the virus from everyone's responses here, and took a bunch of actions I would not have even though of had I not posted here. I almost didn't post here about this, too..I have always been of the "take care of yourself and don't let anyone know you are in trouble" ilk. But when I started reading this forum back in 2013 or 2014, when I was first thinking abut the possibility of retiring, I found a really nice group of thoughtful, intelligent people who care about the other members of the forum. They also aren't afraid to let you know what they think - I like and need that sort of honesty!

And I really needed that kind of caring...the comments letting me know that there was someone out there when things were pretty dark for me, and the advice from those who have been there and/or read a lot about it, are really helping me through a tough time. A special bunch of people, you all are!!
Old 12-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
And I really needed that kind of caring...the comments letting me know that there was someone out there when things were pretty dark for me, and the advice from those who have been there and/or read a lot about it, are really helping me through a tough time. A special bunch of people, you all are!!

I'm really glad they invented the Internet before this pandemic came along. It's been so useful and great way of being social in the required distanced way. A couple of other sites and especially this one I visit several times daily. I love it!
Old 12-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
This is a great place to post anything covid that might help anyone reading this thread! Thank you!

And I'm glad it is working for you! Lay low for awhile to protect yourself!

I keep telling hubby to mention to his doctor that he is still coughing...but if he he doesn't get better by the end of the week, I will (it sure helps to have the same doctor (evil grin!))

He is still coughing, and it still doesn't sound too good.

I, on the other hand am feeling great - so great, that I decided to give myself a pedicure yesterday - and threw out my back - arrrggghhh! I am sure glad all this is happening in 2020 - I want to start 2021 with everything out of the way!
Great. Have you or your DH received another COVID test to confirm that you are longer positive?
Old 12-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Great. Have you or your DH received another COVID test to confirm that you are longer positive?
Not yet, though we have asked our doctor for one. I emailed her on the weekend so haven't heard back from her yet. MY DH's best friend Don doesn't have long to live - he has Parkinson's, and he's in bad shape now. Before we tested positive, we drove about 2 hours each way to his house almost every week to see him and obviously haven't been able to go since before Thanksgiving, because of our symptoms and then positive tests for the virus. We know we probably aren't positive now, but a test would really help us feel better about visiting him again, as soon as we can...sigh...
Old 12-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #197

I am sorry to hear about your DH's friend. Let's hope that you two could visit him soon. A tested negative result would definitely help. Take care.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
I am sorry to hear about your DH's friend. Let's hope that you two could visit him soon. A tested negative result would definitely help. Take care.
Here's the response from my doctor:

"Unfortunately, another test won't give you any reassurance.
The test will stay positive for weeks, even when you are no longer sick or contagious.
You are 100% considered not contagious at this point, but of course we recommend you still continue to follow the covid guidelines of wearing a mask and keeping 6 feet away.
You and your friend's family will have to decide if you feel comfortable with a visit or not.
Hope that gives you some more information to decide"

I feel better about it now. I guess it's the antibodies that are keeping it showing a positive result. We will schedule a visit with Don right away, following, of course, the social distancing guidelines and wearing a mask.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #199

CindyBlue - Thanks for the update. Have a safe visit.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #200
Administrator

My sister just tested positive. She got flu-like symptoms yesterday with a cough and elevated temperature. She booked a home test which arrived by courier 2 hours later, and she had to post it back priority mail.

She got a text today telling her that she tested positive for Covid and has to self isolate for 10 days along with her husband and adult daughter.

She continues to have flu-like symptoms so fingers crossed she doesn’t get worse. She sounded short of breath on the phone tonight so I will drop off my oximeter at her house tomorrow, she only lives half a mile away, so I’ll walk it over.
Closed Thread