My husband just tested positive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thoughts for your husband and for you as you both go thru this. My best friend who works in a county jail tested positive in Sept. His wife was negative and never did test positive. They quarantined together and finally he tested negative. He had mild symptoms and lost his sense of taste and smell, with lingering congestion but overall he said it wasn't as bad as he was expecting. Good luck to y'all!

We said a special prayer for your husband. It will work out and you have your large internet family supporting you.

Interesting. Steroids, like prednisone, actually reduce the immune system activity, which is why they aren’t usually prescribed to treat Covid until later if the immune system starts overreacting.

Interesting. Steroids, like prednisone, actually reduce the immune system activity, which is why they aren’t usually prescribed to treat Covid until later if the immune system starts overreacting.

I had read that too, but unfortunately he's already well into his course of treatment for the polymyalgia rheumatica, and you can't just stop prednisone suddenly - it has to be carefully tapered off. Sigh...

We said a special prayer for your husband. It will work out and you have your large internet family supporting you.

I cannot fully express how much I appreciate it...

If you do get a pulse oximeter, which isn’t crazy to do, don’t get stressed out if you get readings in the mid 90s. Ours seems to read anywhere from 95 or 96 up, but rarely reads 99. I bought one for us and all of our parents in late February and it’s been reassuring to have on hand.

I had read that too, but unfortunately he's already well into his course of treatment for the polymyalgia rheumatica, and you can't just stop prednisone suddenly - it has to be carefully tapered off. Sigh...
Obviously your doctor has to guide him through this.

If you do get a pulse oximeter, which isn’t crazy to do, don’t get stressed out if you get readings in the mid 90s. Ours seems to read anywhere from 95 or 96 up, but rarely reads 99. I bought one for us and all of our parents in late February and it’s been reassuring to have on hand.

95% and higher is perfectly normal. 95% and 96% are good readings. It’s when it drops below that to the lower 90s that there is cause for concern.

Thank you!
Is that because it's not reading correctly? And if it's not, then frankly, what use is it??
I guess I could test it out out on me for a tare reading...

Cindy, I'll be thinking of you both. Thankfully there are more therapies available now. Many recover, and I pray that your DH does as well. :flowers:

How very scary this is for you. It's a good sign he didn't have a temperature. I'll be thinking of your husband and all of your loved ones. You have a lot of support here.

Thank you!
Is that because it's not reading correctly? And if it's not, then frankly, what use is it??
I guess I could test it out out on me for a tare reading...

No..95+ is "normal".

Yes, test yourself absolutely.

Cindy, my oximeter reading fluctuates even while I'm wearing it. It is usually 97 or 98 but can dip to 96 right in front of my eyes. Just talking, or taking deep breaths, can change your oxygen "perfusion."

A reading of 99 is extremely rare for me, and I'm fairly fit.

Cindy, my oximeter reading fluctuates even while I'm wearing it. It is usually 97 or 98 but can dip to 96 right in front of my eyes. Just talking, or taking deep breaths, can change your oxygen "perfusion."

A reading of 99 is extremely rare for me, and I'm fairly fit.

Thi sis so good to know! Thank you!

I just don't know how to thank you all for your comments and opinions and suggestions. Every one we read makes us feel better and/or leads us to another information source - and knowing more information makes us feel better! My hubby is so impressed with this community - I've been telling him about it for years (when you were all so patient when I asked all my questions here while I studied for retirement), but he never really grasped what a "community" it really is...until now. We are very grateful.

I wish I could find a heart smiley...:)

Sending good thoughts your way Cindy, definitely sympathize, it is so hard because there's no zero risk option, and even with taking good precautions we can get unlucky. Hope he recovers swiftly and easily. :)

95% and higher is perfectly normal. 95% and 96% are good readings. It’s when it drops below that to the lower 90s that there is cause for concern.

for oxygen levels, I'm at 5000 feet, and the readings are a little lower at altitude. The general rule of above 90% still holds though for COVID, from what I've read. Here is a link that has a little bit about readings at elevation.

https://rebelem.com/altitude-adjusted-perc-oxygen-saturation/

"Rather than relying on scientifically valid projections of expected oxygen saturations and optimistically applying those numbers to our high altitude centers we can consider data from a prospective validation of the PERC rule performed at altitude (5280 ft) that used an oxygen saturation cutoff of 90% instead of 95%. [cite source=”pubmed”]18272098[/cite]"

From what I've read, 94% is the minimum safe level at sea level, and 92% at one mile altitude (Denver equivalent). Below 90% is in the dangerous range.

Oxymeters are usually better indicators if one has used them and gotten a device-baseline while healthy. They are prone to mis-readings if the arm isn't positioned right, much like BP devices.

Where they are most handy is showing a change, a dip. We all learned earlier this year that the body accommodates low ox without showing obvious symptoms.

OP, every day that goes by that your DH stays "mild" is a good one. Fingers crossed here for you both to pull through!

My oxygen reading on my Oximeter at my home in the middle of NC is around 96-97. When I went to my mountain home last summer at 5000' it dropped to 93 or so ( and I could tell I was a little breathless) but after a week or two I got acclimated to the altitude and it went back up to 96 (and no more breathlessness).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom