Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 01:59 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
You are retiring 12/31 this year You are right, a heck of a way to lead into retirement! I hope you are using sick time right now!

But congratulations on your retirement! I am so glad for you - my DH and I retired together last year and even though we could not figure out what we'd ever do with all that time, and even thought the pandemic has really messed up our travel plans, we love it. Thank goodness for the people here on this forum - I'd have never made it without the advice and, frankly, the reassurance I received here. I hope you will love, as I do, the languid, quiet mornings when you sit with your cup of tea or coffee and know you don't have to hurry to get ready for work (very big grin!)

Your symptoms sure sound like mine. I pray that you never get any worse than you are right now!
Hi Cindy thank you for posting this. It is very helpful since I see retirement close at hand.

I am in the tapering off period of my job. Am one of the high paid old employees being forced out for younger cheaper models. (Bet there are many others on in this group.) I am wrestling with whether to get another job (I like people and can sell.) post vaccine or not. We have enough money so I'm just not sure.

As you can imagine, I am worrying about what to do with the time. OTOH yesterday I painted the bathroom trim, refilled our firewood supply, and helped our granddaughter string lights in the trees outside. All very enjoyable to do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Like you, I am the one in the house who can smell even the faintest smells. I never thought about it until you mentioned it that it is a safety skill. It would be very disorienting to lose my sense of smell, possibly permanently, as a lingering effect from getting COVID. It is one of my greatest fears about getting COVID.
Yep, mine, too. I can live without it by being more vigilant in other ways, but it's sure would be inconvenient...and I'd sure miss the smell of new mowed grass, as Maidensong said...

That said, I caught a whiff of my perfume yesterday...that's a very good sign!
My test result is in...
Old 12-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #123

My test result is in...

...and it's positive for the virus.

Luckily, my symptoms have been mild up until last night, and then only chills and a fever (103.8.) Oxygen level 97, which seems to be normal for me, since it's been either that or 98 every time I've taken it. I took NyQuil, aspirin, and a half a codeine (for the headache) and went to bed at 6. Slept solidly through the night, (sweating like crazy, judging from the condition of my sheets this morning!) and woke up this morning feeling good again, no fever, oxygen level 97.

We were looking forward to donating blood for antibodies (something good from the bad!) once I'm allowed out of here, but are now wondering if they will need it anymore, now that the vaccine is coming.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

103.8 is a pretty good fever, but good that you seem to have gotten over the worst part of that. Also good that your CV symptoms seem to be fairly mild. You and your husband are on the upswing now.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 12-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #125

My wife and I probably have good but equal ability to smell, but she has a much more negative effect to smells. People smell really bothers her, yet she cooks a fish and eggplant dish that has a horrible smell yet she eats it. She admits it smells and calls it smelly fish.
I see to be keyed into something burning and pick that up quicker.
I recently had a few day period where I kept smelling something while setting at my computer, (I don't recall it to name the smell but it was a familiar smell) I don't believe it was anything physical on my computer desk that caused it. I think it was nose/brain thing.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We were looking forward to donating blood for antibodies (something good from the bad!) once I'm allowed out of here, but are now wondering if they will need it anymore, now that the vaccine is coming.
The vaccine is going to take time to roll out. Cases will still be occurring through this time. The question is whether the convalescent plasma works. Last study I saw indicated that the other emerging treatments are better.

That said, my local blood bank is still searching for convalescent donors. And, they get a really nice reward of points worth about $100 in amazon gift cards.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThinkin2019 View Post
Hi Cindy thank you for posting this. It is very helpful since I see retirement close at hand.

I am in the tapering off period of my job. Am one of the high paid old employees being forced out for younger cheaper models. (Bet there are many others on in this group.) I am wrestling with whether to get another job (I like people and can sell.) post vaccine or not. We have enough money so I'm just not sure.

As you can imagine, I am worrying about what to do with the time. OTOH yesterday I painted the bathroom trim, refilled our firewood supply, and helped our granddaughter string lights in the trees outside. All very enjoyable to do.
You sound like us (grin!) Always looking for something to do! But remember, you have the virus! I felt fine (except for cold symptoms) until last night when I to chills and a fever, and I was 7 to 8 days out. I slept and slept and took NyQuil and aspirin and I feel fine this morning. So watch out and don't do too much for a couple of days, ok?

I can't tell you how many people here said the same thing, us included - that they were worried about having nothing to do when they retired. I asked a lot of questions here on the forum and read a lot of posts from people who were worried about it before they retired, and wrote about it after they retired - and I can't remember anyone saying anything except how they can't believe they ever had time to work, they have so much to do now in retirement (smile!) And we found out that we feel the same way!

For us, the first year took care of "nothing to do" as we dealt with my dad and his wife and their Alzheimers and illnesses getting suddenly worse fast. Thank goodness we weren't working - the timing was so perfect! Dealing with her decline and death, his Alzheimer's and poor health and eventual placement into a nursing home, and then cleaning out their "hoarder's house" kept us very busy for over seven months. Then we put the property back together from long neglect - cutting trees, splitting wood, filling rock into eroded areas, mowing and mowing and mowing (smile!)

So really, the first "retirement period" for us has started about three months ago, when we "have nothing to do." And, of course, the pandemic has quashed any travel plans (smile!)

We both do better with a "schedule," with something to look forward to doing, so before we both got positive covid tests, we built a routine into our day. Every day, we take a sweet to my dad in his nursing home, about 20 miles away, then take a walk in a park or a neighborhood (we love looking at what people have done to their yards and getting ideas (smile!)). We volunteer one day a week at the local food bank. Hubby swims twice to three times a week. I finally have time to try all the crafts I've always wanted to. We do some work on the property almost every day, too (one of the best parts about retirement is, in most cases (except for emergencies, such as a leaky pipe) if we don't get it done today, we can do it tomorrow! We don't HAVE to get it done today because we have only today to get it done - yay!)

At the advice of so many people here, we didn't over schedule.

We are amazed and so grateful that we have time in the morning to just sit and have coffee and read the paper without having to rush (he used to leave the house at about 6AM every day (except for swimming days, then at 5:30) me at about 6:30.) And have time in the afternoon to sit outside all bundled up against the fall coolness for a couple of hours and watch the squirrels and the birds and the deer and the falling leaves, and read our books - such a luxury! And since we can't hang out with friends (except on Zoom!) we play cards or Parcheesi many afternoons (he is beating the crap out of me in both, but I will have a comeback soon (grin!))

Time to do all these things (from working on the property to reading, etc.) - to be able to make the CHOICE to do these things - is such an unbelievable luxury after a lifetime of fitting them in where we could. And make no mistake, we loved our jobs - it never felt like work (he taught high school for 51 years, I did for 41, and we both coached two seasons a year most years.) But we are cherishing every moment to CHOOSE what do to with our time (smile!)

I am looking forward to reading your posts a year from now (smile!)
Old 12-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The vaccine is going to take time to roll out. Cases will still be occurring through this time. The question is whether the convalescent plasma works. Last study I saw indicated that the other emerging treatments are better.

That said, my local blood bank is still searching for convalescent donors. And, they get a really nice reward of points worth about $100 in amazon gift cards.
I had heard that some blood banks were doing that! That would be nice! But on the other hand, I hate to take a reward for doing what I consider to be my duty to help because I can....on the other hand, that's a lot of Kindle books...(grin!)
Old 12-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had heard that some blood banks were doing that! That would be nice! But on the other hand, I hate to take a reward for doing what I consider to be my duty to help because I can....on the other hand, that's a lot of Kindle books...(grin!)
No need to take it. You can even pass on the points to their designated charities.

I give platelets frequently and enjoy the $15 or so in "mad money." I consider it my duty too, but I'm also going to enjoy the little perk without guilt.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
No need to take it. You can even pass on the points to their designated charities.

I give platelets frequently and enjoy the $15 or so in "mad money." I consider it my duty too, but I'm also going to enjoy the little perk without guilt.
OK, me too (grin!)
Old 12-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #131

Quote:
Antibody treatments are in very limited supply, so if you can donate, that would be great:

As you see here for the state allocations of the antibody cocktail, it's not much supply right now:

https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events...llocation.aspx
Old 12-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH's 40-something nephew was hospitalized with Covid-19 last April. He was on a ventilator for a while but credits convalescent plasma for saving his life. Being able to donate plasma filled with antibodies has to be the strawberry in this situation. Thank you for thinking of it even while you are suffering with the virus. It shows what an amazing person you are!

Praying for you and your husband, Cindy Blue.
The virus continues...
Old 12-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #133

The virus continues...

Fever of 102+ this morning...and I'm sweating like crazy.

Oximeter reading is good.

And I think that all I do is sleep but that makes my body feel so stiff from not moving around as usual. I took two naps yesterday, plus went to bed at 6PM.

I was able to help hubby clear out the gutters for the rain that is predicted to start soon, but all I did was grab the supplies when he had to come down the ladder and move it, then hand them up to him again...I feel like such a wimp (wry smile!)

I walked with him down the driveway and back to get the mail (about half a mile total.)

Has anyone who has had this virus kept up with some mild exercise such as walking?
Old 12-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #134

Quote:
Fever of 102+ this morning...and I'm sweating like crazy.

Oximeter reading is good.

And I think that all I do is sleep but that makes my body feel so stiff from not moving around as usual. I took two naps yesterday, plus went to bed at 6PM.

I was able to help hubby clear out the gutters for the rain that is predicted to start soon, but all I did was grab the supplies when he had to come down the ladder and move it, then hand them up to him again...I feel like such a wimp (wry smile!)

I walked with him down the driveway and back to get the mail (about half a mile total.)

Has anyone who has had this virus kept up with some mild exercise such as walking?
If you can keep getting and moving around then do so. It will help to keep pneumonia from setting in if it goes to your lungs.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 12-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
If you can keep getting and moving around then do so. It will help to keep pneumonia from setting in if it goes to your lungs.
Thank you! Makes sense to me, too!
Old 12-11-2020, 09:54 AM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thank you! Makes sense to me, too!
Also you can do breathing exercises, like breathing in to a count of 4, holding it to a count of 4 and breathing out to a count of four. Slow deep breathing. When you are sleeping you (or at least I did) can get in to shallow breathing with the fever and all...so deep breathing during waking hours is good.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

I also learned during the course of my battle that eating anything with sugar in it dragged me down big time (pulse went up, o2 went down).
Old 12-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #138

As someone with chronic COVID, my suggestion would be to see the doctor ASAP and get early treatment, such as the ivermectin protocol. Zinc supplementation is also helpful. Be very careful to keep up your electrolyte balance - COVID can deplete electrolytes. Doing nothing may cause problems later. You do not want to be a "long haul" patient...
Old 12-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
Also you can do breathing exercises, like breathing in to a count of 4, holding it to a count of 4 and breathing out to a count of four. Slow deep breathing. When you are sleeping you (or at least I did) can get in to shallow breathing with the fever and all...so deep breathing during waking hours is good.
Good idea! I tried it and at first coughed like crazy (smile!) But it got better each time. Will continue.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
As someone with chronic COVID, my suggestion would be to see the doctor ASAP and get early treatment, such as the ivermectin protocol. Zinc supplementation is also helpful. Be very careful to keep up your electrolyte balance - COVID can deplete electrolytes. Doing nothing may cause problems later. You do not want to be a "long haul" patient...
Is Gatorade a good electrolyte replacement? I have lots of that...
Closed Thread