Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My sister just tested positive. She got flu-like symptoms yesterday with a cough and elevated temperature. She booked a home test which arrived by courier 2 hours later, and she had to post it back priority mail.

She got a text today telling her that she tested positive for Covid and has to self isolate for 10 days along with her husband and adult daughter.

She continues to have flu-like symptoms so fingers crossed she doesn’t get worse. She sounded short of breath on the phone tonight so I will drop off my oximeter at her house tomorrow, she only lives half a mile away, so I’ll walk it over.
Oh, so sorry! And right at Christmas! Hope she has mild symptoms and the rest of the family stays well. Put the oximeter on her stoop//steps/whatever and then let her know it's there.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #202
Administrator

Quote:
My sister just tested positive. She got flu-like symptoms yesterday with a cough and elevated temperature. She booked a home test which arrived by courier 2 hours later, and she had to post it back priority mail.

She got a text today telling her that she tested positive for Covid and has to self isolate for 10 days along with her husband and adult daughter.

She continues to have flu-like symptoms so fingers crossed she doesn’t get worse. She sounded short of breath on the phone tonight so I will drop off my oximeter at her house tomorrow, she only lives half a mile away, so I’ll walk it over.
Wishing the best and hoping for a mild case for her ..
Old 12-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Wishing the best and hoping for a mild case for her ..
+1

Hopefully no one else in her household will get it. My daughter and her two teenage kids managed to stay Covid free even though my son-in-law tested positive and spent 10 days at home with them, isolated to a bedroom.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #204
Administrator

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I’ll certainly be sure to keep my distance tomorrow. We are both familiar with the practice of leaving things on the step and having conversations 12 feet away on the driveway. She has lupus so we are very worried about how she will respond to this infection.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #205
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. I hope she is ok.

I wish I had gotten medical attention earlier than I did, but the hospitals are so overwhelmed I know they prefer people to stay at home unless they are in dire situation.

That being said and knowing what I know now, I would probably do whatever I could to get in the hospital at the first sign of worsening condition...to get plasma asap. (assuming hospital has space)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #206
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
Sorry to hear that. I hope she is ok.

I wish I had gotten medical attention earlier than I did, but the hospitals are so overwhelmed I know they prefer people to stay at home unless they are in dire situation.

That being said and knowing what I know now, I would probably do whatever I could to get in the hospital at the first sign of worsening condition...to get plasma asap. (assuming hospital has space)
Thanks.

I will be talking to her every day and be sure she calls the Covid hotline if her conditions worsen. Currently our local hospital has plenty of capacity, we are in a region that is not doing too bad, but that can change in a heartbeat of course.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My nephew and his wife both tested positive for Covid recently (they are public school teachers and have been teaching in person so they think that is how they got it). Their teenage children also have tested positive. They all have been sick, but especially the wife who is by far the sickest. Their doctor called in a prescription for steroids for her and that seems to be helping and hopefully keeping her out of the hospital. The small local hospital is full so she would have to be shipped off somewhere else if she ends up in the hospital.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts folks. I’ll certainly be sure to keep my distance tomorrow. We are both familiar with the practice of leaving things on the step and having conversations 12 feet away on the driveway. She has lupus so we are very worried about how she will respond to this infection.
I guess with Lupus it’s her treatments for lupus that makes her vulnerable to COVID-19 complications.

Wishing the best for your sister!!
Old 12-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks.

I will be talking to her every day and be sure she calls the Covid hotline if her conditions worsen. Currently our local hospital has plenty of capacity, we are in a region that is not doing too bad, but that can change in a heartbeat of course.
Wish her all the best.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #210

Oh no Alan! So sorry to hear this!!! Will keep her and her family in my thoughts.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #211
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Oh, my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear it! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister!and her family. I hope you will keep us posted...

I'm glad you are dropping off your oximeter to her - ours really helped us with peace of mind. I am still thanking everyone here for telling us about it!

I had everyone here at the FIRE to talk to about our covid, and that made me feel so much better as we battled our way through this virus. And our friends called every day, and took orders for the grocery store, the pharmacy, etc. while we couldn't get out of here - bless them! I know that you will be a lifeline for them - for us, just having someone to talk to about it - that knew we were isolated here and feeling so bad, that would call and check in on us and sympathize - made a huge difference for us in getting through it mentally.

Keeping you all in our prayers!

(P.S. I had no idea you could book a home covid test and that it and the test result could arrive so fast! Is that through her hospital or her doctor? I.e., how can we get one, too? )
Old 12-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My nephew and his wife both tested positive for Covid recently (they are public school teachers and have been teaching in person so they think that is how they got it). Their teenage children also have tested positive. They all have been sick, but especially the wife who is by far the sickest. Their doctor called in a prescription for steroids for her and that seems to be helping and hopefully keeping her out of the hospital. The small local hospital is full so she would have to be shipped off somewhere else if she ends up in the hospital.
I am so sorry to hear it! I really hope she doesn't have to go to the hospital, but if she does, they are doing amazing things there.

Both my hubby and I were on prednisone (steroid) when we caught the virus (him for polymyalgia rheumatica and me for a horrible case of poison oak) and we honestly think that that might have caused us to not get as sick as we could have.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers!!
Old 12-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post

(P.S. I had no idea you could book a home covid test and that it and the test result could arrive so fast! Is that through her hospital or her doctor? I.e., how can we get one, too? )

Alan is in England where health care is just different.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Maybe so, but there is a home COVID test in the US as well:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...f-testing-home
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #215

Quote:
Aww...sigh...
Old 12-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Thank you - I will look it up (not that I'll need it now (wry smile!))
Old 12-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Not yet. A couple have been approved but is not yet available to purchase. ETA is a few months. There's an ongoing discussion on the US home tests here: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ng-104908.html
Old 12-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #218

Home COVID saliva test is free from Minnesota residents. You could order it online. The test kit normally arrives in 3 days. You would setup a time online for instructions and return the test kit with the saliva sample. The result should be available in three days.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:03 PM   #219

Wish for a quick recovery for Alan's sister and harlee's nephew and his wife.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:40 AM   #220
Administrator

Quote:
You can order the test through the NHS app if you have it, or online or by phone to the Covid hotline. If the test comes back positive you get a unique code to enter into the app which then notifies anonymously anyone with the app that has been in close contact with you recently, advising them to self isolate.

She was also contacted by test and trace to get the contact details of the folks she knows she has been in contact with. This will be those at work where she works in a “bubble” with several others.
Closed Thread