Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My son just got his first dose Covid vaccine!
Old 12-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South central PA
Posts: 2,603
My son just got his first dose Covid vaccine!

I am surprised at the emotions our family experienced when our son went to employee health and received his first dose. He works part time as a medical scribe and 80% of his job and 60% of his time is computer only. So he has been working from home for the past 3 weeks, with a substantial cut in hours and pay.

Thanks to former colleagues on Facebook, I found that the hospital is very actively vaccinating staff. Because of that, he called employee health and drove in just for the vaccine. He said it was utterly painless. As a pediatrician, both first and second hand, I can say that Shingrix and measles vaccines hurt like h**l and hepatitis B vaccine is painless, and the rest are in between.

The light at the end of the tunnel just got a little brighter.
EastWest Gal is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
As a pediatrician, both first and second hand, I can say that Shingrix and measles vaccines hurt like h**l and hepatitis B vaccine is painless, and the rest are in between.
Do you mean the after of the shots?

I hate all shots, to me they are all "painful".
retire-early is offline  
Old 12-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 90
Great news! I know how you feel. My daughter is a nurse working in a nursing home and got hers this past Saturday. I work as a pediatric hospitalist and I’m supposed to receive mine when I get back to work in two weeks (I live in one state but work in another) I’m looking forward to it : )

Definitely a first glimpse of the light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel.
Gremlin is offline  
Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I am surprised at the emotions our family experienced when our son went to employee health and received his first dose. He works part time as a medical scribe and 80% of his job and 60% of his time is computer only. So he has been working from home for the past 3 weeks, with a substantial cut in hours and pay.

Thanks to former colleagues on Facebook, I found that the hospital is very actively vaccinating staff. Because of that, he called employee health and drove in just for the vaccine. He said it was utterly painless. As a pediatrician, both first and second hand, I can say that Shingrix and measles vaccines hurt like h**l and hepatitis B vaccine is painless, and the rest are in between.

The light at the end of the tunnel just got a little brighter.
DD received hers as she works in a clinic. It was a great feeling and did push up the hope meter. No problems with the staff so far. They reach out to the community tomorrow.
savory is offline  
Old 12-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 624
There's more than one COVID-19 vaccine being given.

I didn't start a thread to mention it, but I received Moderna a week ago. No side-effects, other than mild soreness in the area of injection for a couple days, more than a flu shot, which I normally don't notice at all.

I've heard side effects are more of an issue after the second dose, though.

It looks like I was very early among those receiving the vaccine, and I work from home 4 days per week, have no patient contact, and am a healthy GenXer. But since I'm employed by a health care facility, I got early access immediately after the front line health care staff.

Also, I mentioned in the COVID distribution thread, but the UK variant that has caused a lot of concern has been identified in someone in the U.S.
GenXguy is offline  
Old 12-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Morgan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 91
I received the Moderna vaccine yesterday morning. It felt like the flu shot. My arm is still a little sore today.

All of our hospital system staff, regardless if they are clinical vs non-clinical are being offered the vaccine.
Morgan22 is online now  
Old 12-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South central PA
Posts: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Great news! I know how you feel. My daughter is a nurse working in a nursing home and got hers this past Saturday. I work as a pediatric hospitalist and Iím supposed to receive mine when I get back to work in two weeks (I live in one state but work in another) Iím looking forward to it : )

Definitely a first glimpse of the light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel.
Try to get your vaccine ASAP. It takes awhile to develop immunity. I was a pediatric hospitalist until I retired in 2019.
EastWest Gal is offline  
Old 12-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South central PA
Posts: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
Do you mean the after of the shots?

I hate all shots, to me they are all "painful".
I'm a needle phobe. I literally did not feel my three Hepatitis B shots. Flu vaccine hurts a little. MMR and shingles vaccines are extremely painful. The technology of the needles themselves have continued to improve. A vaccine in the muscle doesn't hurt much. A penicillin or ceftriaxone shot is horrible compared to any vaccine. Ceftriaxone hurts so much we mix it up with local anesthetic!
EastWest Gal is offline  
Old 12-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
bolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 396
All is well,.. Sars, ..Mercer, and numerous strains of covid related maladies have been quelled.
__________________
It ainít what you donít know that gets you into trouble. Itís what you know for sure that just ainít so.
bolt is offline  
Old 12-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Rural community
Posts: 180
Interesting how different states and healthcare facilities prioritize staff. My doctor daughter, a resident in a NY hospital, who now works on the Covid floors hasnít been vaccinated. She has no idea when they might be available to her and the other residents. Residents have Ďcaughtí Covid at the hospital already. Itís frightening!
nhcycling is offline  
Old 12-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South central PA
Posts: 2,603
That should not happen. Stanford also prioritized administrators over the residents. The residents protested in the lobby and they changed their tune. Your daughter should contact the residency coordinator regarding this.

Within our local hospital systems, the ER, ICU nurses and residents, as well as other staff such as Xray techs and respiratory therapists working with COVID patients were absolutely first in line. Then others with patient exposure are next. DS falls into that category. He is able to do about 80% of his work remotely. He has been working from home but it is not ideal. He should be able to go in starting in early February.
EastWest Gal is offline  
Old 12-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Rural community
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
That should not happen. Stanford also prioritized administrators over the residents. The residents protested in the lobby and they changed their tune. Your daughter should contact the residency coordinator regarding this.

Within our local hospital systems, the ER, ICU nurses and residents, as well as other staff such as Xray techs and respiratory therapists working with COVID patients were absolutely first in line. Then others with patient exposure are next. DS falls into that category. He is able to do about 80% of his work remotely. He has been working from home but it is not ideal. He should be able to go in starting in early February.


Agreed. Weíll see what happens.
nhcycling is offline  
Old 12-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,883
Got our fingers crossed for us over 65 'civilians'. DW has us booked for the Texas Gulf in April. She is chomping at the bit. Pre Covid we did Florida in December and Texas in February.

Heh heh heh - ? Light at the end of the tunnel?
unclemick is offline  
Old 12-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal, SE Florida, Lausanne
Posts: 2,175
My brother got his Pfizer jab this morning at the hospital. No issues so far.
Freedom56 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yesterday my 16 year old, high school junior son got his drivers license... rayinpenn Other topics 26 12-26-2015 05:53 AM
Right dose of food. Was: The Right Dose of Exercise for a Longer Life eta2020 Health and Early Retirement 8 05-19-2015 06:47 AM
Just got my zoster vaccine Rich_by_the_Bay Health and Early Retirement 58 05-17-2009 10:21 AM
My son just got married ... bigla FIRE and Money 21 11-10-2007 09:58 AM
My son said his first word cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 23 07-06-2005 03:12 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.