Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

New college challenges...
Old 10-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cool hands a senior (on schedule) with a tuff 18 credits this semester. Yes -one more semester $. All but one of his classes is online so he’s pretty busy. Senior level Coding classes can be challenging.

The Mrs says “I just got a call from your son” when it’s ‘my son’ it is usually bad news “and?” “The roommate’s girlfriend they suspect has Covid” this is one of the three other guys that cool hand shares a 4 bedroom apartment. Worse it is the one he shares a bathroom with. Yikes, no double yikes.

I call today “has she been tested” I learn she’s feeling worse and was 10 minutes late to her test so they sent her on her way. Yikes yikes, and more yikes.. you get the message. “has he been tested” answer: “not yet?”

When I feel my blood pressure starts to... well I know enough to stop asking questions.

College consist of being in your room online studying..making food or going to the gym... personally I did a lot of living my senior year... I think you could stress or just accept it is out of my hands.
I made some suggestions and ended the call.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And it's not his fault. Did nothing wrong. And now your son?

And we know she has covid from no testing?

All the best!
Old 10-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

As ever and maybe more than ever, each of us has to be our own advocate. If you feel you need a test, you'll have to find a way to get it. Depending upon any bureaucracy for your health (and life) is problematic at best. Taking "no" for an answer could be costly but YMMV. Best of luck.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
And it's not his fault. Did nothing wrong. And now your son?

And we know she has covid from no testing?

All the best!
In the conversation with my son the tone was pleasant, light, informational and not accusatory. You are right he did nothing wrong. My frustration was with the roommates gf - get tested! Be on time! Find a way. It affects more that you.

He roommate saw the girlfriend this weekend it has the four days since the they are all back in the apartment. You did note I said ‘suspects she has Covid, thus her attempt to get tested. They did not learn about her being sick until Tuesday/ Wednesday.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
As ever and maybe more than ever, each of us has to be our own advocate. If you feel you need a test, you'll have to find a way to get it. Depending upon any bureaucracy for your health (and life) is problematic at best. Taking "no" for an answer could be costly but YMMV. Best of luck.

One of my favorite bloggers got it early on and got pretty sick. Just getting up to take her meds was an effort. I am hoping that this gal didn’t miss the appointment because she so I’ll. I’m guessing a free test at her college clinic. Free being the optimum word.. college kids are all broke.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
One of my favorite bloggers got it early on and got pretty sick. Just getting up to take her meds was an effort. I am hoping that this gal didn’t miss the appointment because she so I’ll. I’m guessing a free test at her college clinic. Free being the optimum word.. college kids are all broke.
I still recall waiting for service at the "hell center" (officially: Health Center) at University. It was free (well, included in your fees.) However, for the most part, it was first-come-first-served. That could mean missing a class just to get checked out for an infection (I got really sick with a strep infection once.) We used to joke about eating our student IDs if we were ever involved in an accident. That way we'd be taken to a real hospital. During my strep infection, my parents finally had me brought home to my real doctor who gave me injectable (current generation) antibiotics instead of the penicillin pills offered at the hell center. One day on one of the (new at that time) synthetic (non Pen based) antibiotics and I knew I would live - and also wanted to again. I could walk to the bathroom instead of crawl. It was a miracle. Probably cost my parents a fortune.

At least at the time I went to university, you are correct that most college kids were always broke. I certainly was most of the time. There was a lot less partying in those days because most kids were actually there to "learn" and didn't have any extra money anyway. Not so much anymore from what I've seen. With the availability of student loans, a lot of kids live pretty well - albeit on borrowed money.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ray--
I hope your son does not get ill. Frustrating as a parent, I am sure. I would think the health clinic would have made an exception for the Covid risk.
Hopefully, they are all wearing masks in the apartment to decrease risk, keep windows open to bring in fresh air (even in colder weather!)
It's a lot to ask of that age group, but it's worth it to decrease transmission risk.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #8

Ray

First of all I hope 'Cool Hand' is OK & roomates are as well

but....how in the heck is Cool Hand a Senior? "We" just sent him off to college like a year ago. Seems like just yesterday he was sleeping in & lounging around our house
Closed Thread