No Ending - Covid Testing For Returning Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if an American citizens shows up at the entry gate without the proper negative test, what do they do? Do they shunt such people off to a hotel for a week or two of confinement?

Can the US Government deny a US citizen entry into the USA?

My experience (2 trips) is that my covid result was only looked at by the airline check-in. US Immigration didn't look or care.

So, if an American citizens shows up at the entry gate without the proper negative test, what do they do? Do they shunt such people off to a hotel for a week or two of confinement?

They should know not to show up in that case. They aren't being denied entry, they are denied boarding by the airlines.

What happens if I test positive?

You should self-isolate and delay your travel if you develop symptoms or your pre-departure test result is positive, until you meet criteria to travel. Airlines must refuse to board anyone who does not present a negative test result for COVID-19 or documentation of recovery.​

Full Q&A is here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...all,documentation of recovery unless exempted.

My experience (2 trips) is that my covid result was only looked at by the airline check-in. US Immigration didn't look or care.

They should know not to show up in that case. They aren't being denied entry, they are denied boarding by the airlines.

What happens if I test positive?

You should self-isolate and delay your travel if you develop symptoms or your pre-departure test result is positive, until you meet criteria to travel. Airlines must refuse to board anyone who does not present a negative test result for COVID-19 or documentation of recovery.​

Full Q&A is here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...all,documentation of recovery unless exempted.

My understanding is the airlines would be liable for big fines if they allowed the positive test passenger to board.

There are anecdotes that some countries will send you to a quarantine facility and others indicating that people were expected to arrange their own lodgings and self-quarantine.

Lot of the pharmacies doing the test would report the results to their public health departments.

You can self-test but the results aren't good enough for boarding flights. But it might tell you to get a PCR test or don't attempt to board.

When Thailand opened up in November, they apparently tested on arrival and if you failed, they put you in a facility and you had to pay. So there are insurance policies specific for Thailand to cover quarantine costs on arrival. Not sure those policies would cover quarantine in case you test positive before departing the country though.

In the UK they still show the deaths each day on the BBC and other news outlets, and on the TV they have often compared cases against deaths this year and previous years to show the dramatic difference.

I wonder why they don't talk so much about the 'dramatic difference' of 'cases/deaths' here in the US.

I wonder why they don't talk so much about the 'dramatic difference' of 'cases/deaths' here in the US.

I’m not sure what news sources you access but I hear all the time how cases and deaths are down dramatically. It has largely driven the easing of restrictions and dropping of mandates.

US was reporting 2500-3000 deaths through January and even some of February, weren't they?

We didn't fare as well as other countries in low number of deaths, because we had lower vaccination and booster rates.

I used one of the emed tests, the proctored ones, recently on my way back from Mexico. It’s stress free as you can take it at your leisure any time the day before your flight, and you don’t have to be worried about false positives (just hang up and redo it). I was able to get two tests for around $60 before I went to Mexico.

US was reporting 2500-3000 deaths through January and even some of February, weren't they?

We didn't fare as well as other countries in low number of deaths, because we had lower vaccination and booster rates.

Yes, we’ve had a pretty high death rate overall compared to other developed countries.

Yes, death rates were quite high recently but have been coming down and now averaging under 700. Still not as low as June of last year, but a lot better than during recent waves.

To those who don’t want this testing anymore, would they be ok getting on a plane knowing that they are positive for Covid?

You obviously don't get it. Currently, there are hundreds of covid positive people flying domestically in the US every single day. Why is it ok to fly between Hawaii and New York unvaccinated and covid positive while someone flying home from London has to be tested? Not once has anyone explained to me how this any sense.

Covid is never totally going away. At what point do we treat it as common illness?

Masks are still required on domestic flights and within airports. Until April 18 at least.

Am I correct in thinking there is no test to get on an international flight leaving the US but there is a test only for the return?

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking there is no test to get on an international flight leaving the US but there is a test only for the return?

Yeah Portugal requires a test.

And they did it because of reciprocity. If you require them to test to go to the US, they're going to make Americans test to go into their country.

If the US does not require any testing to get on the plane when leaving it is very hypocritical to need it for coming back

I think it depends on the destination. Some other countries are also test negative to enter countries, although some have recently dropped that requirement.

This State Department website may help: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...es/COVID-19-Country-Specific-Information.html

Right. All I need for Germany is my vaccine card. (And yes, I WILL keep an eye on requirements as the date gets closer.) I'm choosing side trips to other countries that do not require testing. There does seem to be a healthy market for insurance to cover quarantine although one I checked quickly yesterday covers only $2,000 in lodging, etc. costs bit more for other things such as increased airfares on re-booking. I may buy one. An expense I don't want but it could be worth it.

The thread has served any useful purpose it ever had, so it is being closed. Posts that constituted nothing but off-topic debate between two members about vaccine efficacy have been deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom