Nursing home operator fudges covid death numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

explanade

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Federal regulators will review the official tally of COVID-19 deaths at one of the nation’s largest nursing home chains after the company cut its reported death toll by an unprecedented 42% following a USA TODAY investigation.*

Presented with USA TODAY’s findings that Trilogy Health Services had the worst death rate among its peers during last winter’s coronavirus surge, company officials said they discovered they had included deaths in their mandatory weekly reports that should not have been counted.

Read in USA TODAY: https://apple.news/AsjPNNGPFQ8mBRGxMUXsPlg

Don't know anything about the nursing home market.

But this company operates nursing homes in IN, MI, KY and OH.

In my best imitation of Claud Raines: "I'm shocked. SHOCKED!"

Nursing homes are not alone and overcounting Covid deaths is not new news. My PCP told me about this in February of 2020.

Our own governor stated that Mass had a 'significant overcount' of deaths.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...ignificant-overcount-of-covid-deaths/2665981/

"...From March 2020 to March 2021, DPH counted the death of any person who had previously tested positive for COVID-19 as a COVID-related death, regardless of how much time elapsed between those two events.

Even if someone contracted the virus in March and died in a car crash in July, they were added to the ongoing tally of pandemic deaths for that first year..."

Just guessing but I suspect the nursing home overcount was the result of maybe extra gov't payments if the death was Covid vs any other cause.

Last edited:
Nursing homes are not alone and overcounting Covid deaths is not new news. My PCP told me about this in February of 2020.

Our own governor stated that Mass had a 'significant overcount' of deaths.

Except that data analyses have consistently shown that excess deaths were much higher than the COVID death rates, so I expect COVID death rates are still under reported not over reported.

Last edited by a moderator:

Our own governor stated that Mass had a 'significant overcount' of deaths..

Except that data analyses have consistently shown that excess deaths were much higher than the COVID death rates, so I expect COVID death rates are still under reported not over reported.

Do you have a source for that? I have not seen that - only over-counting.

Last edited by a moderator:

As that paper says:

... further research is warranted to help distinguish the proportion of excess mortality that was directly caused by SARS-CoV-2 infection and the changes in causes of death as an indirect consequence of the pandemic.

There are clearly excess deaths due to the societal impact of lockdowns (missed/deferred medical diagnosis/treatment and ODs/suicides/crime higher than prior levels).

The stats on deaths "from Covid" vs. "with Covid" vs. "from society's reaction to Covid" is still very fuzzy, but all three are real.

Attachments

• WeeklyExcessDeaths-4.jpg
    WeeklyExcessDeaths-4.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 22
This is just a repeat of earlier discussions so we have decided to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom