Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Because 2 weeks ago we only had 435 cases, and it probably takes 2 maybe longer weeks to fully recover (no virus count).
It's a made up number do you really think they are testing people a second time when they don't have enough tests to go around?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

here we go: "College students in Florida test positive for coronavirus after spring break trip" "Five University of Tampa students are recovering after testing positive for COVID-19 during spring break, the school said. The university said the students were traveling together and with other UT students during spring break before testing positive."

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/...hZ_Ni16-jTtlA4

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 03-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready According to this website, only 178 people have been designated as “recovered” in the United States out of a total of over 30,000 people infected. How could the number be this low?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Roger this. Does the US have different criteria for determining "recovery"?

I consider this sort of thing like "the fog of war." Even with no agenda, incompetence, or attempt to deceive, media types reporting in earnest, and the most well-intentioned experts and authority figures simply don't know, and I mean know, what they're talking about half the time in a situation like this. We have to filter it ourselves and, as someone said on another thread, use common sense and a good B.S detector.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
here we go: "College students in Florida test positive for coronavirus after spring break trip" "Five University of Tampa students are recovering after testing positive for COVID-19 during spring break, the school said. The university said the students were traveling together and with other UT students during spring break before testing positive."

I wonder if they went to some beach...
Old 03-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

They need to put these 5 in a room together with a bathroom, some food staples and lock the bleeping door for 2 weeks.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because 2 weeks ago we only had 435 cases, and it probably takes 2 maybe longer weeks to fully recover (no virus count).

Amazing, when you think about it , in 2 weeks we have gone from 435 cases to 38,757 so far today

As I shared earlier, a European newscast showed a nurse in Italy saying he had patients on ventilators for as long as 20 days as he spoke. Obviously, not everyone gets that sick or survives for that long on a ventilator, but this is astounding.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I see a trend here, somehow we're doing this do "protect the old farts". I'm pretty sure you wouldn't directly exposure either yourself or one of your kids to the virus. Remember back in the day (the 50'S and 60's when people would have chicken pox parties,, if you had several kids you'd rather have them get it all at once and be done with.) It was stupid. Pretty sure no one in your demo it going to have a COVID 19 party.

Don't pretend or imply it's for the old folks.

As for your parents you could just as easily be on here saying the same about your 20 somethings.

If someone of any age goes out unnecessarily and helps continue the spread shame on them...the basic problem they have is disregard for the safety of the masses.

I'm sitting here wanting to point the finger at all the people who have done unnecessary international leisure travel for the last 6 weeks and are pretty much the epicenter of this outbreak. They had to evacuate on US military planes a woman's football team. US citizens "stuck" in a foreign country screaming, Now we want to go home.
I’ll be more clear. This is to not overwhelm the healthcare system. But why am I being so careful? It’s because I don’t want to unknowingly infect someone in a high risk category. Like it or not, that’s ‘the old farts’, as well as the immunocompromised and a few other categories I can’t remember. Hospitalizations May be more evenly distributed, but it’s the old farts who are dying. If my mom gets this, it’s a death sentence. She’s 80 with copd and no way is she getting dibs on a ventilator if they’re in short supply. So IMO the least she can do is not engage in behavior that increases her risk.

And yes, the kids partying and not taking it seriously are jerks. But they’ll be the ones getting the ventilators if they need them. And yes, shame on them. But that doesn’t excuse some of the irresponsible behaviors I’m seeing from some of the older folks!

FWIW, DH, while not super high risk, is older and has a pre-existing condition. So we’re either in the old farts category or pretty close to it. He’s taking it seriously and not running to the big box store for unnecessary supplies. I’m doing all the grocery shopping and wiping everything that comes in the house down.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #108
Gone but not forgotten

My late husband died of ARDS and He was on a ventilator for two months . The care needed for these patients is overwhelming .Everybody is worrying about extra ventilators . Where are they going to get Nurses who are trained to take care of these patients not just any nurse can work in an ICU . It is a speciality and requires a lot of training .
Old 03-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's a made up number do you really think they are testing people a second time when they don't have enough tests to go around?
I don't think it's too hard to imagine 178 out of 435 cases are cured in 2 or so weeks. Could be that the rest still alive from that group would be fine in another week.

Yes I do think, before discharging folks who have been in ICU, that they would test them to be sure they are cured, rather than just releasing them when they can walk.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
And yes, the kids partying and not taking it seriously are jerks. But they’ll be the ones getting the ventilators if they need them. And yes, shame on them. But that doesn’t excuse some of the irresponsible behaviors I’m seeing from some of the older folks!
I wish everyone would take it seriously, I'm certainly an old fart and will try to not get infected and thereby not infect others.

I wait for the stories in 2 months of the young ones who won't get ventilators because the curve didn't flatten enough, and priority means nothing when the ventilators are all being used, and then the young ones die too.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #111

Quote:
I wish everyone would take it seriously, I'm certainly an old fart and will try to not get infected and thereby not infect others.

I wait for the stories in 2 months of the young ones who won't get ventilators because the curve didn't flatten enough, and priority means nothing when the ventilators are all being used, and then the young ones die too.
I was pondering a story in the Ozark town where my 95 year old Mother lives (which is why I know the story): A couple went ahead with their wedding on March 14 in Rural Missouri. There were 200 guests. two of the guests from Illinois had symptoms of coronavirus and probably exposed all the other guests. Now there are potentially 200 exposed people running around rural SE Missouri.
https://dailyjournalonline.com/news/...cc67ce0c1.html

Then I started thinking of the other people in the eastern mountains, the former coal miners, the heavy smokers, etc. And the reason males got hit harder in China is because the males in China smoked more and had more lung damage than the women did.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 03-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, but the dentist left a note that I was to continue wearing the trays. On my initial visit (the only one I've had) he told me that not wearing the trays means your teeth just move back to where they were before.

If the practice stays closed - which it probably will - I'll try to contact them. I'm sure I'm not the only one, as this practice does a lot of Invisalign.

Quote:
You might want to phone your dentist, I'm thinking, the invisalign trays get your teeth to a certain spot, and now after days/week at that spot, not wearing them will mean no change, just like wearing them but without the hassle.
Later you can continue on with the progressive steps in a few months.

Worth a phone call for sure. Even if calling a different dentist office or calling your dentist emergency number as they should have let you know.
You'll get it if you speak Southern
Old 03-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #113

You'll get it if you speak Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I wonder if they went to some beach...
Sounds like a whole bunch of some beaches.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think it's too hard to imagine 178 out of 435 cases are cured in 2 or so weeks. Could be that the rest still alive from that group would be fine in another week.

Yes I do think, before discharging folks who have been in ICU, that they would test them to be sure they are cured, rather than just releasing them when they can walk.
ICU yes people recovering at home No...
Old 03-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #115

If you watched world news tonight, you probably saw the frustration of the politicians at the sights of crowded beaches and parks, showing the total ignorance and disregard of so many people. I want to share a different story of a young person who is aware and concerned.

I got some take out pizza a short while ago. They were busier than I've seen them in awhile. I hung back while waiting for 2 elderly men to come out. One held the door open for me, but I wouldn't move forward. I said hello and waited for them to move on. Inside was a woman sitting on a bench and an elderly man standing near the counter.

The young woman working the counter was telling the man that they accidentally put green peppers on one of his pizzas instead of onions, so they were making a fresh one for him and he could have all of the pizzas anyway. Well, I could hear her just fine from where I was standing about 8 feet away. He moved closer to her and was practically in her face, leaning over the counter towards her. He understood what she said, but then he kept hanging near her at the counter and wouldn't move away. Well, I had to get my pizza, so I moved forward anyway, trying to stay a bit away from him. He moved when saw me coming, but probably not 6 feet. I told the young woman it looks impossible to try and make pizzas and maintain that 6 feet. She agreed. (They really can't with the way the work stations are laid out. They had so many people on duty trying to make the food, that they were having to stand within a foot or 2 from each other. There were about 6 or 8 workers in the kitchen, way more than usual. It's a clear violation, but I'm not going to tell. You can't all of a sudden rearrange all the fixed equipment. Maybe they were training new employees? How do you do that from 6 feet away?)

Anyway, this young woman told me that she's terrified to be working there right now. She lives with her parents who are both very sick with diabetes and she does not need to be bringing the virus home to them. Quite the opposite problem my DD is having. I tried to give her some personal space during the transaction and didn't linger longer than necessary. I didn't look back, but I hope that elderly guy didn't move back in on her. I know sometimes an old guy likes to kid around with a pretty young lady, but now is not the time for that.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
I got some take out pizza a short while ago. They were busier than I've seen them in awhile. I hung back while waiting for 2 elderly men to come out. One held the door open for me, but I wouldn't move forward. I said hello and waited for them to move on. Inside was a woman sitting on a bench and an elderly man standing near the counter.

The young woman working the counter was telling the man that they accidentally put green peppers on one of his pizzas instead of onions, so they were making a fresh one for him and he could have all of the pizzas anyway. Well, I could hear her just fine from where I was standing about 8 feet away. He moved closer to her and was practically in her face, leaning over the counter towards her. He understood what she said, but then he kept hanging near her at the counter and wouldn't move away. Well, I had to get my pizza, so I moved forward anyway, trying to stay a bit away from him. He moved when saw me coming, but probably not 6 feet. I told the young woman it looks impossible to try and make pizzas and maintain that 6 feet. She agreed. (They really can't with the way the work stations are laid out. They had so many people on duty trying to make the food, that they were having to stand within a foot or 2 from each other. There were about 6 or 8 workers in the kitchen, way more than usual. It's a clear violation, but I'm not going to tell. You can't all of a sudden rearrange all the fixed equipment. Maybe they were training new employees? How do you do that from 6 feet away?)

Anyway, this young woman told me that she's terrified to be working there right now. She lives with her parents who are both very sick with diabetes and she does not need to be bringing the virus home to them. Quite the opposite problem my DD is having. I tried to give her some personal space during the transaction and didn't linger longer than necessary. I didn't look back, but I hope that elderly guy didn't move back in on her. I know sometimes an old guy likes to kid around with a pretty young lady, but now is not the time for that.
Personally, I wouldn't talk to anyone when I'm out unless it's absolutely necessary. Some people say that the coronavirus lingers in the air for 30 minutes. It may not be that long, but why take any chances?

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...tance-and-stay

There is one pizza place nearby that has only one worker. That would be safer. I would put the pizza in my own oven for a few minutes when I bring it home though. Even then, there could be other customers when I go pick up my pizza...

It's just not worth it.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was pondering a story in the Ozark town where my 95 year old Mother lives (which is why I know the story): A couple went ahead with their wedding on March 14 in Rural Missouri. There were 200 guests. two of the guests from Illinois had symptoms of coronavirus and probably exposed all the other guests. Now there are potentially 200 exposed people running around rural SE Missouri.
https://dailyjournalonline.com/news/...cc67ce0c1.html

Then I started thinking of the other people in the eastern mountains, the former coal miners, the heavy smokers, etc. And the reason males got hit harder in China is because the males in China smoked more and had more lung damage than the women did.

I read the story. Yes, the 2 guests from Illinois had symptoms and attended the wedding anyway.

Very early in the outbreak, it was reported that North Korea arrested and shot one of its officials who came back from China and disobeyed the order to quarantine himself.

I found the story again here: https://nypost.com/2020/02/13/north-...us-quarantine/.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
According to this website, only 178 people have been designated as “recovered” in the United States out of a total of over 30,000 people infected. How could the number be this low?
It takes a while to recover? It can take at least 2 weeks, sometimes more.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Sounds like a whole bunch of some beaches.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
According to this website, only 178 people have been designated as “recovered” in the United States out of a total of over 30,000 people infected. How could the number be this low?
It's the norm.

For example, Germany has 24,873 cases, with 266 recovered, and 94 dead.

How many are still intubated with ventilators, in ICU, in hospital rooms, or convalescing in a rehab somewhere, we don't know.

Closed Thread

Tags
virus