Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What happens to meal service?

Housekeeping?
Meals are delivered to my mother's apartment now(she gets 10 meals per week under her plan). Before the virus, meals were served in a large dining room. She has a kitchen and gets groceries delivered and cooks her other meals. She has housekeeping once per week but if she left the campus and went under the 14 day quarantine she did not get housekeeping during that time. Since our state went on Phase 2 there have been changes--she can now have visitors (but she has asked our family not to visit yet--some of our family has not been careful about the virus and she is afraid to have them visit her and I don't blame her) and she no longer has the 14 day quarantine after leaving the campus.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

That sounds like fair rules by that particular facility. Good considering nobody probably had plans to deal with a pandemic.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Dad, age 89, is in a rehab facility after a stroke and will be moving to a skilled nursing facility. The rehab place immediately took his clothes and sanitized them before letting him wear them. He was just tested a week or so ago- negative. It was actually worse in his Independent Living Facility- no socialization, meals all delivered to his door in styrofoam.

Having seen Dad's slow slide downhill over the last few years as various bodily systems pass their "sell-by" date and having seen everything my siblings in the area have done for him- taking him to their places for dinner, bringing home-cooked food, taking him to the doctor, getting him to give up his car.... I cannot imagine expecting DS and DDIL to take me in or to do everything for me that I can't do for myself when I can no longer live independently. My primary financial goal is to provide for whatever care I need through the end of my life.

And if something like COVID-19 takes me out when I'm in the shape Dad is in, that's OK with me.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Dad, age 89, is in a rehab facility after a stroke and will be moving to a skilled nursing facility. The rehab place immediately took his clothes and sanitized them before letting him wear them. He was just tested a week or so ago- negative. It was actually worse in his Independent Living Facility- no socialization, meals all delivered to his door in styrofoam.

Having seen Dad's slow slide downhill over the last few years as various bodily systems pass their "sell-by" date and having seen everything my siblings in the area have done for him- taking him to their places for dinner, bringing home-cooked food, taking him to the doctor, getting him to give up his car.... I cannot imagine expecting DS and DDIL to take me in or to do everything for me that I can't do for myself when I can no longer live independently. My primary financial goal is to provide for whatever care I need through the end of my life.

And if something like COVID-19 takes me out when I'm in the shape Dad is in, that's OK with me.
I am so sorry about your Dad. I am so lucky my mom, age 88, is still in very independent and in good shape, still driving her car, before the virus was very active going out every day and doing all the activities at her CCRC. I hate she has been on "lock down" as has everyone but I am grateful her CCRC has taken such proactive steps. I speak to her every day for at least 30 minutes on the phone and sometimes by FaceTime.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I hope one of the outcomes of Covid is a thorough reform of how we care for older needy people.
+1

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 06-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yeah, basically when I’m at the point where I’ve lost my mobility and am bed bound and require a skilled nursing facility, longevity will not be a priority for me.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

About a month ago, someone noted that the deaths were mostly over 65 and so on.

But even with underlying conditions, many of the ones who perished still had a life expectancy of 10 years if not for C19.

Or what if you were fortunate enough to survive it but you lost a lot of pulmonary function which might take years to recover?

Or renal failure?

Now if your mental faculties aren't completely there, like you had Alzheimers, then you may be oblivious to what's happening.
Closed Thread