Other symptoms that may signal COVID19

Status
Not open for further replies.

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
6 Mild Symptoms of Coronavirus You Shouldn’t Ignore, According to Doctors

The signs go beyond a fever, cough, and shortness of breath.

Read in Prevention: https://apple.news/AhogpP86mQsOpwh9zxZyZOQ

What are the mild symptoms of novel coronavirus?

In the WHO report, the organization analyzes nearly 56,000 cases of COVID-19 in China and breaks down a wide range of “typical” symptoms, as well as how often people with the virus experienced them:

• Fever (87.9%)
  • Dry cough (67.7%)
  • Fatigue (38.1%)
  • Sputum production (33.4%)
  • Shortness of breath (18.6%)
  • Sore throat (13.9%)
  • Headache (13.6%)
  • Muscle aches and pains (14.8%)
  • Chills (11.4%)
  • Nausea or vomiting (5.0%)
  • Nasal congestion (4.8%)
  • Diarrhea (3.7%)
  • Coughing up blood (0.9%)
  • Red eyes (0.8%)
A lost sense of smell wasn’t on the WHO’s list... (more info in article)

I believe lost sense of taste and smell is a symptom of any kind of upper respiratory tract infection - cold, flu, or COVID. From the article:

Viral infection can result in both inflammation and swelling of the nasal cavity lining, leading to nasal congestion, which in turn causes a change in smell. Furthermore, there is also some evidence that viral infection can lead to neurologic damage in the smell receptors.

So it is not obvious why that would differentiate COVID from cold or flu. I know I can't taste/smell with a bad cold. The top symptoms help with diagnosis. If you have a fever it is less likely you have a cold. If you have dry cough / shortness of breath, it is less likely you have flu. The rest of the symptoms don't tell you much.

Regarding loss of taste and smell: I believe what differentiates C-19 from cold or flu is that with C-19 you may lose taste and smell before you have any other symptoms.

From https://keyn.radio.com/articles/radiocom/coronavirus-less-common-symptoms-that-have-been-reported

Excerpts

With the ongoing spread of COVID-19, it’s no surprise that new symptoms are emerging from the illness, which doctors and officials have been rushing to defend against while attempting to fully understand.

Kawasaki disease-like symptoms in children

A dangerous inflammation of the heart and other organs has been detected in a handful of kids, reported “Today.”

“The way this is affecting the heart is completely different than what we usually see in Kawasaki disease," said Dr. Jane Burns, director of the Kawasaki Disease Research Center at the University of California, San Diego. "This is new because this is primarily the heart muscle that is failing.”

Foot sores

One strange side effect of coronavirus could be foot sores, according to a team of Spanish physicians.

The researchers say that the marks are "similar to chickenpox or measles."

While the so-called "COVID toe" symptoms have mainly appeared in children and adolescent with COVID-19, it has also been detected in some adult patients.

'Fizzing'

Some COVID-19 patients have warned of a peculiar symptom referred to as "fizzing."
The side effect — a buzzing sensation felt throughout the body

One user, @miafia, described the "electric feeling on my skin" that she felt from her first day of COVID-19 symptoms.

Dr. Daniel Griffin, who estimates that he’s seen about 50 coronavirus patients daily since the illness gripped New York, says he’s heard mention of the reaction.

“Clearly it’s been identified, but we’re just not sure yet how widespread it is,” Griffin, who is chief of infectious disease at ProHealth Care Associates, told New York Post..

Loss of smell

"In Germany it is reported that more than 2 in 3 confirmed cases have anosmia,” they wrote. “In South Korea, where testing has been more widespread, 30% of patients testing positive have had anosmia as their major presenting symptom in otherwise mild cases.”

Loss of taste

In addition to loss of smell, COVID-19 patients have reported loss of taste.

"What is most unusual about this new finding is that the loss of smell or taste was the only presenting symptom in a group of patients under the age of 40 who ultimately tested positive for the COVID-19 virus," Levitin wrote in an email to USA TODAY.

Pink eye

This week it was revealed that coronavirus can spread to the eyes.
On March 24, the American Academy of Ophthalmology shared an alert warning that COVID-19 may cause conjunctivitis, or pink eye, in about 1-3% of infected people, reported TODAY.

My son who is currently recovering from COVID has the loss of taste and smell. He says it's starting to come back. He hated that particular side effect. He said eating food was horrible. You could feel the texture but it was like chewing textured water. But he cleaned several things out of his freezer that he didn't care for. He said since he couldn't taste them anyway, why not? :LOL::LOL:

Sounds like your son is doing OK relatively speaking. If he can cook for himself it can't be too bad.

Strategies to stay out of the hospital, once you have it?

deleted

Fever (87.9%)
Dry cough (67.7%)
Fatigue (38.1%)
Sputum production (33.4%)
Shortness of breath (18.6%)
Sore throat (13.9%)
Headache (13.6%)
Muscle aches and pains (14.8%)
Chills (11.4%)
Nausea or vomiting (5.0%)
Nasal congestion (4.8%)
Diarrhea (3.7%)
Coughing up blood (0.9%)
Red eyes (0.8%)

It's kinda like things, which everyone feels time to time :)

We've been trying to get rid of a cold for a month. Fatigue, muscle aches, sore throat, headaches, loss of taste and smell were our major symptoms. I didn't really notice the loss of taste and smell until it came back.

We've been trying to get rid of a cold for a month. Fatigue, muscle aches, sore throat, headaches, loss of taste and smell were our major symptoms. I didn't really notice the loss of taste and smell until it came back.

Hmmmmm.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom