Our school district just announced it would be 100% online in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that’s terrible! I hope students are quarantining themselves upon return home. They certainly all need to be tested.

The majority of the undergrad UNC students are from North Carolina but there are students from all over the country who will be heading home and possibly taking the virus with them. Very bad.

The majority of the undergrad UNC students are from North Carolina but there are students from all over the country who will be heading home and possibly taking the virus with them. Very bad.
Even spreading out to more counties within NC will cause more problems.

UNC-Chapel Hill now has 600 students or staff who are infected. Clusters of cases continue to be reported in sororities and dorms.

East Carolina University is going online for the remainder of the semester and telling students they need to move out.

UNC Charlotte is delaying in-person classes until October 1. (I'm not sure what they think is magical about that date.) :confused:

I do find myself wondering if it will take dead students to convince the universities (both here and elsewhere) to face reality and just shut down all the on-campus experiments. How many parents are willing to sacrifice their children? I guess we will find out soon enough. :(

I heard the universities going online are charging full tuition for video classes, including various fees for services you would only get on campus.

Today was the first day of school at my niece's house. Her 10 year old boy and 6 year girl in remote learning. And a 1 year old helping mom. I saw pics - everyone looks confused. I hope this remote learning thing works out. Hope it doesn't set back our country academically.

Today was the first day of school at my niece's house. Her 10 year old boy and 6 year girl in remote learning. And a 1 year old helping mom. I saw pics - everyone looks confused. I hope this remote learning thing works out. Hope it doesn't set back our country academically.
It’s hopefully just one year. Kids can catch up if needed.

I heard the universities going online are charging full tuition for video classes, including various fees for services you would only get on campus.

University of North Carolina is refunding dorm room and meal costs. But students and parents were told before they paid tuition that the cost would be the same whether the classes were in person or online. However, after it was announced all classes were to be online students were given a chance to drop classes and get a refund.

The problem at UNC is that while the dorms are closing many students are opting to stay in Chapel Hill and find off campus housing. We residents of Chapel Hill are upset--the students are staying in town and spreading the virus and there does not seem to be a way to stop it. Personally I am staying in my mountain cabin because I am afraid to go back to Chapel Hill.

Syracuse University
Last week there was a party on the quad with a couple hundred kids. Around 25 students were expelled from the college. Im sure there's been other house parties and what not too. We expected a nice bump in students testing positive but it seems to not be a big problem so far. Hoping the numbers stay down.

http://dailyorange.com/2020/08/syracuse-university-coronavirus-cases-updates/

Syracuse University
Last week there was a party on the quad with a couple hundred kids. Around 25 students were expelled from the college. Im sure there's been other house parties and what not too. We expected a nice bump in students testing positive but it seems to not be a big problem so far. Hoping the numbers stay down.

Active COVID-19 cases among SU students drops by 10 - The Daily Orange
Last week:confused: Tell us what the testing finds in another week.

Cheers!

A number of students were evicted from the UConn dorms after a party last week.

The University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa started classes on 8/19/20.

As of yesterday they had 531 new confirmed cases among students, faculty, and staff since opening.

University of North Carolina--as of today 831 students infected, 52 staff, 31% positivity after 2 weeks of classes. I have been unable to find out how many hospitalized but the local newspaper reported 25 students hospitalized the first week. All classes are now online, most students have to move out of the dorms by tomorrow but fraternities and sororities still allowed to be open. The student newspaper reports that instead of moving home many students that were in the dorms (mainly freshmen) are moving into off campus housing since the students do not want to go home. Do the parents of these 18 year olds not have any concern for their health? The local police report shows that the police are breaking up parties almost everyday, over the weekend the police were called out about many parties. My worst nightmare coming true about my town.

Probably means they're not testing enough, more cases out there.

But they may be downplaying so they could have the football team play.

So what happens when someones child becomes infected while at college and they can't stay in the dorms.? Do they tough it out in a motel for 2 weeks and hope they don't become sick and have to be hospitalized? Where would they get their food? If they are freshman they don't know anyone yet. If they go home then how would they get there? Many don't have cars. Would they be able to fly or take a bus while infected? They can't rent a car yet at their age. Would their parents drive to pick them up? How safe would that be for the parent being in a close environment of a closed car? Once home then what do you do with them to keep the rest of the family safe? Do you set up a tent in the backyard?

So many thoughts to ponder.

If I had children in school I think I would not have let them go until things cleared up more and there was some kind of vaccine. Glad I don't have to make that decision.

Cheers!

Reading this I am much more at peace with my son's decision to not go back to school this fall. His workplace is being responsible with temp checks, masks, etc. Management even decided that bringing in lunch for the employees would reduce their risk of running out to get food in their lunch breaks and potentially getting exposed on a daily basis. It's a business park and they eat outside, socially distanced on the grass in front. (Son says no one eats in the break room.). So many of his peers went back to off campus apartments and are partying it up. Parents seem unconcerned.

Probably means they're not testing enough, more cases out there.

But they may be downplaying so they could have the football team play.

I am hearing that UNC is only testing those with symptoms due to shortage of tests. But it boggles my mind that 832 UNC students with symptoms have tested positive. Just think how many positives there would be if they tested all students. Althletics could have something to do with it but that is not the only issue here.

So what happens when someones child becomes infected while at college and they can't stay in the dorms.? Do they tough it out in a motel for 2 weeks and hope they don't become sick and have to be hospitalized? Where would they get their food? If they are freshman they don't know anyone yet. If they go home then how would they get there? Many don't have cars. Would they be able to fly or take a bus while infected? They can't rent a car yet at their age. Would their parents drive to pick them up? How safe would that be for the parent being in a close environment of a closed car? Once home then what do you do with them to keep the rest of the family safe? Do you set up a tent in the backyard?

So many thoughts to ponder.

If I had children in school I think I would not have let them go until things cleared up more and there was some kind of vaccine. Glad I don't have to make that decision.

Cheers!

Originally UNC had a dorm with 300 rooms set up for those who tested positive. That filled up in a few days. So now UNC has rented hotel rooms (I am hearing maybe whole hotels?) for positive students. There are also some students in the hospital ( I have no idea how many). While students are in quarantine the University is providing food, students are online complaining about the food. The positive students are not being released until they test negative. Once they test negative it is up to the student or their parents to get them home but there is a local nonprofit helping with that. There are also students who don't want to go home who are trying to find off campus apartments.

This is very reminiscent to me of the cruise ships back in March and April. An awful mess.

University of Arizona has been monitoring the sewage from it dormitories, and they were able to catch an outbreak at one dorm at a very early stage - or maybe even before it happened as only 2 of 311 individuals tested positive and they were both asymptomatic at the time of testing.
The university began in-person classes on Monday. Before students arrived, Pepper and his team set up a system to test the wastewater coming from about 20 buildings on campus, including dorms.

By Tuesday, Pepper's wastewater-testing system had delivered troubling news: It detected elevated levels of coronavirus in campus sewage, stemming from one dorm in particular.

The following day, the team tested the 311 individuals living in that dorm. Two tested positive; both were asymptomatic. Those two students were quarantined, and now the campus is conducting contact tracing to find any additional cases.
https://www.businessinsider.com/tes...d-covid-outbreak-university-of-arizona-2020-8

Another article about it. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/how-university-arizona-used-no-2-solve-its-no-1-n1238756
At the University of Arizona, Pepper said this type of testing is especially useful for finding and isolating infected individuals before they have a chance to spread the virus widely. The two cases that have been identified at the university were both asymptomatic, and Pepper said wastewater testing could be sensitive enough to detect the coronavirus up to a week before a person develops symptoms.

“So, you have seven precious days in which you can undergo intervention,” he said.

Pepper’s team is conducting regular tests of sewage from 20 buildings across campus, including dorms and the university’s student union center.

Last edited:
This is going to define a generation of kids. I propose "zoomers" in honor of their boomer grandparents.
That is awesome. Sharing with my zoomer kids.

I want to report what my Church is doing to help the schools. The local public schools are all online. The problem is that there is a significant portion of the children who do not have internet access--some because their parents cannot afford it, some because they live in a rural area and broadband is not available. Our Church is pairing with the local school district and the YMCA to provide a place for elementary children who do not have internet access to get their online lessons. Our Church is proving the fast internet and the space (a large fellowship hall that is not being used because our Church services are now all online). The YMCA is providing the transportation and counselors. The school district is providing the list of children needing help, computers for each child and lunch each day. The children will be there most of the day M-F. The room is large enough that each child can have a separate table. Masks and social distancing required. It all starts this week and 30 students are signed up. I will report back how it is working.

How is that different than being in the school building? Seems they should just be at school. They are still riding the bus and still together in a room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom