“Outdoor” dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
BeachOrCity said:
If we cannot come together for a public health crises like this....we are in for a long trip downward relative to other societies where the public has largely come together around this.

The reaction to the pandemic is shining a very bright light on the decline of society in the USA.

I must humbly differ. I think the number of people voting this year is a great sign for our society.

Back on topic.....

Since my state has gone back to No Indoor Dining, the local neighborhood Facebook groups are loaded with pleas from restaurant owners, workers, and loyal customers begging for people to get as much take-out as possible. It sounds grim.

Last edited:
We are at the point now where we dine in, go grocery shopping and participate in other indoor public activities as often as we did a year ago. The big difference now is we always wear a mask (unless we are eating/drinking) use hand sanitizers often and have adjusted our public indoor activities to off hours... Usually early mornings for shopping (like 8am) and mid afternoon for dinning (like 3pm). Works for us around here.

The reaction to the pandemic is shining a very bright light on the decline of society in the USA.
I think there are plenty of issues that could go that way that paint both political spectrums in a negative light. And it isn't a new thing either. But let's not get porky's attention.

Back to dining. We literally had no choice 10 days ago. We had to eat indoors. My work group was burning massive calories and we had to have lunch. Meanwhile, 2" of rain per hour was falling. We could do take-out and bring it back to the house we were working on, where the occupants were inside, unmasked. Or we could eat in the corner of Hardees, where only 4 other patrons were eating on the opposite side of the dining room. There was no outdoor eating . So, I broke my rule and ate indoors.

I've been counting days ever since. At 10 days, I've probably made it OK. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
What's not ok is people thinking their personal right to potentially expose others, the "I don't have to wear a mask while I shop" crowd.
I wear a mask when in public buildings & think folks should if only out of respect for the business you're using.

But I think the much larger spread risk is people closely gathered together for extended periods inside such as in crowded bars & at private parties. Adequate spacing, mask or no mask, is the prime spread prevention method imo.

When in stores, I stay away from others except when passing in aisles & stand back in any line. The handful of times we've eaten indoors is where tables were very well spaced, high ceilings, and good air circulation. We've canceled our Thanksgiving family dinner of 15 folks.

Now that we know a vaccine is on the way ... 6 months until a vaccine is widely deployed.
I sure hope your prediction is accurate, but that timeline seems optimistic. I suspect it will take substantially longer until widespread vaccination enables a return to pre-Covid normality.

Only time will tell.

I think the much larger spread risk is people closely gathered together for extended periods inside such as in crowded bars & at private parties. Adequate spacing, mask or no mask, is the prime spread prevention method imo.

Definitely. Masking is prudent, but is not a panacea. Physical distancing is the only reliable way to avoid infection.

The constant reminders to “wear a mask whenever you can’t maintain social distance” are somewhat counterproductive, in that they arguably imply that masking is an effective substitute for distancing. Sadly, it isn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom