Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are You Ready To Return To Your Fav Dine In Restaurant (see Assumption in OP)?
I’d be back within 2 weeks 67 22.19%
I’d be back within 2 months 40 13.25%
It’ll be longer than 2 months for us 149 49.34%
I don’t go to dine in restaurants regularly 46 15.23%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #181
Dryer sheet wannabe

> and they're using an electronic list?

Most likely, yes. It’s what we do. Pre ‘rona, this was convenient because we could each go to sections of the store and get things, check them off on the list, and the other would see within minutes “oh that’s done, I am getting this other thing then”.

Post ‘rona it allows my husband to tack things onto the shopping list. I’ll be out for the weekly grocery run and he’ll check the pantry for things we need or he may throw things on there for a “bulk recipe” we’re making that week.

Also, it’s convenient to have a list of “things we got before” and be able to just throw them back onto the list. Maybe I should be able to remember everything we eat on a regular basis, but I don’t. The electronic list remembers for me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Would consider outdoor seating at our favorite restaurants assuming they adhere to social distancing and other good practices. Would try to hit at off-peak times. Dine-in (inside) is a long way off for us.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
+1 We have an 'older' (donated by DW's daughter) flip top, (or whatever they're called) cell phone we use exclusively in Europe, (calling airbnb operators perhaps), and even then rarely or not at all.

We see 'obviously retired' people checking their phones at every opportunity and think "What is so ***** important?"........and there are those ridiculous (for old farts...although fine for on-call surgeons) ones that clip onto the ear..""I'm in aisle 3 at the supermarket, what detergent do we use?".

For us, if something 'happens' while we're out/abroad, what the hell are we going to do about it anyway? It'll still have happened when we get home and check our answer machine.
Our sentiments exactly.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeboy View Post
Would consider outdoor seating at our favorite restaurants assuming they adhere to social distancing and other good practices. Would try to hit at off-peak times. Dine-in (inside) is a long way off for us.
We have gone to outdoor seating twice now and it was an okay experience as a change to takeout. Very hot though even in the shade.
We were satisfied with the distancing, masks, gloves, etc.
Would not eat indoors for now.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
We have gone to outdoor seating twice now and it was an okay experience as a change to takeout. Very hot though even in the shade.
We were satisfied with the distancing, masks, gloves, etc.
Would not eat indoors for now.
We're still doing takeout 3/week and haven't been back to a restaurant yet - most reopened at 50% capacity 5 days ago here. It'll be a while before we do, and then it will be at a select group of upscale restaurants we trust much more than most others. But DW and I walked by a restaurant with outdoor seating yesterday and noticed a couple who appeared to be having a nice meal together - because they were the only ones at any of the outside tables...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #186
Administrator

Here in S Florida there tends to be lots of cigarette smoking in the outdoor section, which we’d rather avoid.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #187
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes. Smoking still not permitted. FWIW w
Walnut Creek is looking st expanding dine in to include closing streets and dining in sidewalk / street. I'M READY!! Right now my dine in is pick up and go to The Grove (park)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here in S Florida there tends to be lots of cigarette smoking in the outdoor section, which we’d rather avoid.
Yep, that would be a deal breaker for us too. Not allowed here.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

When we discuss whether dining in is a good idea or not, we are comparing apples with oranges (as the saying goes). Many of us live in regions where COVID-19 is at or near its peak, and other forum members live in regions where it has diminished markedly.

New Orleans was one of the first, and most severe "hot spots". As you may recall I was the scared-est of scaredy-cats a couple of months ago, and would not go out even for curbside grocery pickups. But by now, we are one of the first locations to see the number of cases dropping off sharply despite a huge increase in the number of people tested each day.

It has been 12 days since dining in was allowed here, and we have dined in at our favorite restaurant for lunch on 9 of those 12 days and felt perfectly safe. Today we plan to do it again, so it will be 10 of 13 days. If I lived elsewhere my choices would be vastly different.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Didn't smell it or notice it in my 2 times out, but would not stay there then.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When we discuss whether dining in is a good idea or not, we are comparing apples with oranges (as the saying goes). Many of us live in regions where COVID-19 is at or near its peak, and other forum members live in regions where it has diminished markedly.

New Orleans was one of the first, and most severe "hot spots". As you may recall I was the scared-est of scaredy-cats a couple of months ago, and would not go out even for curbside grocery pickups. But by now, we are one of the first locations to see the number of cases dropping off sharply despite a huge increase in the number of people tested each day.

It has been 12 days since dining in was allowed here, and we have dined in at our favorite restaurant for lunch on 9 of those 12 days and felt perfectly safe. Today we plan to do it again, so it will be 10 of 13 days. If I lived elsewhere my choices would be vastly different.
Great that New Orleans cases dropped so much especially since it was a hot spot. What do you think the reason was that cases there dropped so much?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That’s our biggest problem in Europe. The outdoors tables look so inviting, but of course that’s where all the smokers go.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #193
gone traveling

When we knew the lockdown was happening for certain we quickly went out to our favorite restaurant and had a last prelockdown meal. Last week when they reopened we went out and had our first post lock meal at our current favorite restaurant.

Life is to short to stay locked down. I feel like I was unjustly sentenced to a couple months in prison except the gyms in prison were probably open and I fear that due to twitter and social media panic we may end up reliving the lockdown experience again.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

If you haven’t read this article on the creative things restaurants are doing to attract customers back, read this as it will put a smile on your face.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pandemi..._copyURL_share

Mini greenhouses to shield patrons from others, mannequins at unusable tables, and chef demonstrations are just a few of the things being cooked up.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
When we knew the lockdown was happening for certain we quickly went out to our favorite restaurant and had a last prelockdown meal. Last week when they reopened we went out and had our first post lock meal at our current favorite restaurant.

Life is to short to stay locked down. I feel like I was unjustly sentenced to a couple months in prison except the gyms in prison were probably open and I fear that due to twitter and social media panic we may end up reliving the lockdown experience again.
But at least you are still alive and healthy! I had 4 friends with Covid-19--one died, one has what appears to be permanent lung damage (age 50 with no preexisting health problems) and 2 (in their 40s) who are still very sick after a month, in and out of the hospital. At most your "prison sentence" lasted 2-3 months. But these lock downs probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives and disabilities. To me not going out to eat for a few months (still have not eaten in a restaurant) is a small price to pay.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Here's a photo that I took this afternoon, from our table at the restaurant. A picture is worth a thousand words. No customers.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But at least you are still alive and healthy! I had 4 friends with Covid-19--one died, one has what appears to be permanent lung damage (age 50 with no preexisting health problems) and 2 (in their 40s) who are still very sick after a month, in and out of the hospital. At most your "prison sentence" lasted 2-3 months. But these lock downs probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives and disabilities. To me not going out to eat for a few months (still have not eaten in a restaurant) is a small price to pay.
How many times are you going to keep reminding us all that you're not going to dine out in a restaurant? You seem to have a compulsion to rain on someone else's parade! There was no need for you to respond to aboatguy's post at all. It's like you can't stand it that others are going out to eat and have to respond negatively every time someone mentions it.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #198

BTW, we enjoyed a carryout dinner from Texas Roadhouse tonight. We would have dined in, but conflicting work schedules didn't allow for that. Their online ordering and curbside pickup was so well organized. They made it really easy and painless. Half the parking lot was devoted to curbside check in and pickup, while the other half was for customers dining in. Both sections of the parking lot had steady traffic.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
How many times are you going to keep reminding us all that you're not going to dine out in a restaurant? You seem to have a compulsion to rain on someone else's parade! There was no need for you to respond to aboatguy's post at all. It's like you can't stand it that others are going out to eat and have to respond negatively every time someone mentions it.

This thread was asking whether you are ready to dine out again at your favorite restaurants. Many are saying they happily are. It seems to me that those who aren't are equally entitled to say so & explain why. If references to loved ones, friends & co-workers who have died or are sick are perceived by some as "raining on someone else's parade," well, too bad, that's the reality some people are facing.

I feel the same way as the poster you are criticizing & I am reading many of these posts with sadness, trepidation & concern. But I think we can all learn from each other & try to be civil and empathetic.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post

I am a member of this Forum and have every right to express an opinion. I am sorry if my opinion does not agree with yours. If you do not want to read what I post I think there is a way you can do something so you do not have to read my posts. I am going to continue to post until the Moderators tell me to stop.
Closed Thread