Poll: Are You Ready To Return To Your Favorite Dine In Restaurant?

Are You Ready To Return To Your Fav Dine In Restaurant (see Assumption in OP)?

• I’d be back within 2 weeks

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • I’d be back within 2 months

Votes: 40 13.2%
  • It’ll be longer than 2 months for us

Votes: 149 49.3%
  • I don’t go to dine in restaurants regularly

Votes: 46 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
With HIPAA regulations, who is required to report to who?

Our has county with 212,000 population and 170 cases/6 deaths, and it is the state, that is reporting statistics. Our county commissioners and the county health commissioner has no information whatsoever on the caseload in our county, and they should be the first to know to take adequate action. Go figure.
I don't know about your state. HIPAA means a limited number of management employees will be notified, not new or unique to coronavirus. Often it's HR unless there are staff medical professionals, or the direct manager/supervisor in a smaller org.

Unless it changed recently, in our state WRT coronavirus the employer is obligated to send the employee home immediately for quarantine and they cannot return to work until they've been medically cleared. The employer is supposed to immediately notify all employees who may have been exposed to the infected employee so they can be tested, without disclosing who it is/was (though often that will be obvious). Not required, but several restaurants near us upon discovering an infected employee do all the above, and then close for a few days to deep clean the entire restaurant. Restaurants are NOT required to inform the public if they've had an infected employee (that's why you should always take precautions as if you could be exposed), but some elect to do so.

Last edited:
I don't know about your state. HIPAA means a limited number of management employees will be notified, not new or unique to coronavirus. Often it's HR unless there are staff medical professionals, or the direct manager/supervisor in a smaller org.

Unless it changed recently, in our state WRT coronavirus the employer is obligated to send the employee home immediately for quarantine and they cannot return to work until they've been medically cleared. The employer is supposed to immediately notify all employees who may have been exposed to the infected employee so they can be tested, without disclosing who it is/was (though often that will be obvious). Not required, but several restaurants near us upon discovering an infected employee do all the above, and then close for a few days to deep clean the entire restaurant. Restaurants are NOT required to inform the public if they've had an infected employee (that's why you should always take precautions as if you could be exposed), but some elect to do so.

One of my nephew's bbq restaurants had an employee test positive. So they are closing for a few days, doing a deep clean and having all employees tested. The public was informed via Facebook and the local media. Not sure if others are doing that and if that is the law in AL, but I like the honest approach.

As for me......I'm at my beach condo and have eaten out 3 times in the last few days. First time I've eaten out since February. Lots of people out and about here. I've tried to keep my distance and keep my hands clean. Hopefully it's enough to stay virus free.

NC just became another masks required state, that includes all restaurant employees. Masks are required for “people to wear masks while visiting retail stores, restaurants, day cares or any other places out in public if they cannot maintain a physical distance of six feet. The only exceptions are for children under 11 years old and those with certain medical conditions that prevent them from covering their faces.” It’s going to be a little tricky for customers in restaurants, but obviously not required while you’re actually eating or drinking (at least 6 feet from another table). I’m not sure how they’ll enforce the order, but WAY more people should be wearing masks in public in NC if we want to reverse the trend. Hospitalizations and cases are going up slowly, but deaths per day aren’t, so evidently the most vulnerable are avoiding better. And hospitals are at 80% capacity, 77% ICU, so not overrun yet?

People ignore mask requirements in dog parks here. Unfortunately

Is the mask a "requirement", or just suggested?

We have only taken our dog to a dog park a few times, but each time it would have been easy to stay 20 feet or more from anyone else. Maybe yours are smaller.

Everything I have read (and no I am not going to search for it and cite it) says outdoor activities, not in close proximity to others, are extremely low risk.

Just today I saw a young lady walking along the road, no one with her, no one within a quarter mile, but she had her mask on. If it makes you feel better, fine, but there is no risk in that activity.

It's all about location and density. In some parks and locales, 6 feet might not work. In others, 20 feet is easy. Most of these requirements vary by city/county/state in response to the results for that area.

But please, everyone, if we can, let's try to avoid the polarizing topic of masks. This thread is about restaurants.

Our dog parks are quite large BUT masks are mandatory in California once you pass through the gates. Masks are mandatory when walking to restaurants / tables but not at the table (of course). And yes, I'm eating out

I'm not sure how to separate masks & dining at restaurants. If restaurants are cited for violations they could be shut down. A restaurant in a neighboring county has a 35k fine. Probably shut them down.

Last edited:
The last time we went to our favorite restaurant, for the first time ever they had a QR code laminated to the top of each table, providing customers with a "no touch" menu. They also have menus xeroxed onto one sheet of 8.5x11" paper.

We're seeing QR codes on tables too. I kind of like pulling up the menu on my phone if page is done well.

10 restaurants and or bars here are not reopening and are for sale.

We like going to a lot of smaller places and hole-in-the-walls. Unfortunately, a few haven't survived and have pulled the plug. Others have middle aged owners that have made a chunk of change and are making the decision to retire instead of dealing with the regulations needed to reopen even though they're so popular.

In Sarasota and Mantee County Florida several restaurants have closed for employees having Covid . These were very nice restaurants who followed all the guidelines.

I'm completely conflicted. DH played golf for 3 hours then went to an outdoor restaurant/bar for 4 hours with friends. He came home tipsy, that part's fine. But 4 hours in the outdoor bar/restaurant. Just the guys, hanging out laughing, talking...whatever. I can't decide if I"m OK with that. What if?

I'm completely conflicted. DH played golf for 3 hours then went to an outdoor restaurant/bar for 4 hours with friends. He came home tipsy, that part's fine. But 4 hours in the outdoor bar/restaurant. Just the guys, hanging out laughing, talking...whatever. I can't decide if I"m OK with that. What if?

Wow, 4 hours at a restaurant/bar drinking, etc.? That would not be OK with me even before Covid! You say he came home "tipsy"--did he drive home? I am sure with drinking involved there was no social distancing. Do you live in an area with many cases, etc? What is your ages, health, are either of you high risk? I guess at this point the only thing you can do is isolate yourself from him for 14 days. But is this going to be a common occurrence?

Wow, 4 hours at a restaurant/bar drinking, etc.? That would not be OK with me even before Covid! You say he came home "tipsy"--did he drive home? I am sure with drinking involved there was no social distancing. Do you live in an area with many cases, etc? What is your ages, health, are either of you high risk? I guess at this point the only thing you can do is isolate yourself from him for 14 days. But is this going to be a common occurrence?
We're 62. I'm at high risk with polycystic kidney disease. We can physically distance in our home. He seemed to think outdoors, 6 ft. apart at an outdoor table was OK. We've had 2 recent deaths from Covid, one man 40 and one 38, both no health conditions. Over 800 cases in our county of 200,000.

We're 62. I'm at high risk with polycystic kidney disease. We can physically distance in our home. He seemed to think outdoors, 6 ft. apart at an outdoor table was OK. We've had 2 recent deaths from Covid, one man 40 and one 38, both no health conditions. Over 800 cases in our county of 200,000.
Severe obesity is an underlying health condition...

Last edited:
In Sarasota and Mantee County Florida several restaurants have closed for employees having Covid . These were very nice restaurants who followed all the guidelines.
What does it matter if the restaurants are following all the guidelines if the employees are not social distancing or wearing masks while on their own time.

Cheers!

What does it matter if the restaurants are following all the guidelines if the employees are not social distancing or wearing masks while on their own time.

Cheers!

True ! Florida is a hot bed right now .Just when we thought things were getting better they are getting worse .

Cheers!
It still makes a difference. An infected person wearing a mask reduces transmission quite a bit.

Gosh, I have no idea what I would do in your shoes if my spouse was unwilling to socially distance/behave responsibly when out on his own.

If his buddies were really 6 feet away from him - maybe it’s OK, but drinking, laughing, etc. for hours. Gosh that doesn’t sound very safe.

Last edited:

Cheers!

but that's the whole point. An infected person - masked - is safer for you to interact with a non-masked infected person.

And, to be remotely diligent, we have to assume every single person outside our household may well be infected. I have to assume that everyone at the store, the restaurant, anyone I let into my circle, could well be carrying the virus.

Rianne, you are in a tough spot. My DH is high risk (psoriatic arthritis) and I am doing everything I can to keep him safe because I don't want to lose him. I have turned down several social invitations to protect him.

Rianne, I am sorry about your situation. Is a physical separation during this time a possibility? Do you have a separate part of the house you could move into? Or maybe temporarily move in with a friend or family?

Rianne, your husband was outside having a good time. We are seeing our friends and going to restaurants with outside dining. People can only isolate for so long. We aren’t going into crowds of course but this seems reasonable.

Rianne , I would give him a one time pass . He probably needed a little touch of his old reality .I think we all need that occasionally

Rianne , I would give him a one time pass . He probably needed a little touch of his old reality .I think we all need that occasionally

I would agree with this if he is contrite, and realizes he's put them both at risk, and is apologetic. Has he asked for a one time pass or a season pass?

If there's a disconnect between what Rianne and her DH now consider acceptable, there's a long conversation to be had.

I have been wondering what would happen - as I'm sure is happening in many homes - when partners aren't on the same page for covid-re-entry. It's bound to create some conflicts. I'm personally a little less risk-averse than DH, but I figure his comfort level is where we set the bar. But as for restaurants, he's happy to go outside to our sushi place each week, and that works for me.

Definitely sounds like a conversation is warranted. Luckily my husband and I are on the same page. I don’t think he has to apologize for anything unless he violated a agreement. Totally don’t understand one poster who said she would have been mad before Covid. My ex was controlling and adults get to manage themselves.

Definitely sounds like a conversation is warranted. Luckily my husband and I are on the same page. I don’t think he has to apologize for anything unless he violated a agreement. Totally don’t understand one poster who said she would have been mad before Covid. My ex was controlling and adults get to manage themselves.

I am the person that said I would have been mad even before Covid-19 and that was because he came home "tipsy" and I assumed he was driving. Maybe I assumed wrong and he was not driving. I am very much against drinking and driving.

Harley, totally agree about the drinking and driving. I just assumed he used uber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom