Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are You Ready To Return To Your Fav Dine In Restaurant (see Assumption in OP)?
I’d be back within 2 weeks 67 22.19%
I’d be back within 2 months 40 13.25%
It’ll be longer than 2 months for us 149 49.34%
I don’t go to dine in restaurants regularly 46 15.23%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Harley, Northern Nevada and we have many restaurants with outside patios. What are those mosquitoes you speak of? We have eaten dinner outside at our house for the past month.
Lucky you! Our mosquitos are big and biting and worse of all carry diseases. I wonder if mosquitos can transmit Covid-19--have not thought of that until just now!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #222
Give me a forum ...

We are fairly bug free. It rarely rains. The last time we went to Wisconsin the skeeters were horrible.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

We don't seem to have mosquitos either, even though it rains a lot here. I have never had even one mosquito bite since I moved to our suburb 21 years ago.

Residents here are cautioned about emptying containers of standing water, but also here's what I think may be the real reason why we have no mosquitos: Trucks fog the neighborhoods with insecticide quite regularly in our neighborhood. OK, those of you cringing may un-cringe now. We like what they do here for insect control.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We don't seem to have mosquitos either, even though it rains a lot here. I have never had even one mosquito bite since I moved to our suburb 21 years ago.

Residents here are cautioned about emptying containers of standing water, but also here's what I think may be the real reason why we have no mosquitos: Trucks fog the neighborhoods with insecticide quite regularly in our neighborhood. OK, those of you cringing may un-cringe now. We like what they do here for insect control.
They use to do the fogging here in NC when I was a child. At some point it was banned.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

I said it would take more than 2 weeks for us to go back, but our first (outdoor) dine in was only 13 days after phase 2 and we did indoor dine in today after 16 days. We just couldn’t stay away. In both cases we went early and were the only diners, so we really didn’t test the limit - we’d have done takeout if we were uncomfortable with the “crowd” or the cleanliness. I’ve seen some crowded outdoor dining scenes lately, that we wouldn’t have gone for (yet)...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I said it would take more than 2 weeks for us to go back, but our first (outdoor) dine in was only 13 days after phase 2 and we did indoor dine in today after 16 days. We just couldn’t stay away. In both cases we went early and were the only diners, so we really didn’t test the limit - we’d have done takeout if we were uncomfortable with the “crowd” or the cleanliness. I’ve seen some crowded outdoor dining scenes lately, that we wouldn’t have gone for (yet)...
So glad things are improving in your area! We have eaten lunch inside our favorite restaurant ("dine in") on 20 of the past 24 days since May 15th, when doing this was first allowed here. If anything we feel healthier as a result, perhaps because our spirits are lifted by doing this.

For the first couple of weeks, there was never more than one other customer inside, and usually none. Lately there have been more than that but no overcrowding at all, and we still feel it is done safely. We never liked crowds even before the pandemic so as always, we just wouldn't eat there if it was crowded.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #227
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just noticed today local fast food places are still keeping dining rooms locked, allowing drive thru only - even while sit down restaurants are jumping through hoops to comply with 50% capacity guidance. I wonder if fast food places are resisting dine in to protect employee and customer health - or because it takes fewer people with drive thru only, more profitable. Maybe some of both...
It seems to be much the same around my area. Yesterday I was in a Taco Bell and their dining room was still closed. They didn't even have a cashier to take orders. There was a piece of paper taped to the register to direct customers to order at the single kiosk they left open. The other kiosk had a piece of paper taped to it that said it was closed for social distancing. There's a sign on the door of my neighborhood McDonald's that lists all the ways you can still order. It would have been simpler to just post you can order any way you want, but you still can't dine in. From what I can tell, the only fast food/fast casual chain in my area that is allowing dine in is Panera Bread. I'm not sure about the pizza chains that have a small dining area.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #228

Soon, I'll be dropping a ribeye in the sous vide. Two and a half hours at 127. Then the searzall for a minute or so on each side. Some roasted garlic, sauteed mushrooms and onions. Spinach and arugula salad with avocado and cherry tomatoes from our garden. Maybe some grilled zucchini. Definitely some Bourgogne Pinot Noir.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #229

I came across this article. Last update was a couple of months ago, but I think it's well researched and still valid. Addresses a lot more than the risks of going out to a restaurant. I concentrated on eating restaurant food, and they've got some well-researched advice on cold assembled foods (which is my concern). The bottom line is that even if the food isn't heated, there's not a lot of risk there because the normal procedures reduce the risk, the viral loads, if present, probably aren't huge, and the process of consuming the food doesn't give any virus present much chance to set-up in the mouth. I'm thinking take-out, even cold stuff, is going to be on the list again for me very soon.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/...ive-guide.html
Old 06-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #230

DW and I will be eating out for the first time since the lockdowns this Saturday. Texas goes to 75% on Friday, so it is time for us. DD has requested this dinner out. Not looking forward to be served by people who look like they could be working in a hospital cafeteria.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:30 AM   #231

We went out for the first time since January to get an ice cream cone from an outdoor take out. We were the only people there so we were able to place our order at the window and walk back to the car to enjoy them within 2 minutes. I had close enough to the correct cash so didn't need change and then used sanitizer when we were finished. Neither one of us feels any inconvenience with taking precautions and eating away from home has never been a necessity for our enjoyment of life. Besides we are able to prepare meals as tasty as any restaurant we have been to and most are chain restaurants that serve meals with simple recipes that are easily copied. The ice cream really tasted good but at about $5 each we don't go often. Not when I can buy a half gallon for the cost of 1 cone.

Cheers!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
The ice cream really tasted good but at about $5 each we don't go often. Not when I can buy a half gallon for the cost of 1 cone.

Cheers!
A half-gallon! Where do you get those? In my area the half-gallon is now a quart and a half. Blue Bell stills sell in half gallons but they are not in my area. $135 for four half gallons to be shipped to me. Oh well, less calories to consume. That's the only plus.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #233
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A half-gallon! Where do you get those? In my area the half-gallon is now a quart and a half. Blue Bell stills sell in half gallons but they are not in my area.
In our area both Blue Bell and HEB's brand are sold in 1/2 gallon containers. More of a curse than a bargain...
Old 06-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A half-gallon! Where do you get those? In my area the half-gallon is now a quart and a half. Blue Bell stills sell in half gallons but they are not in my area. $135 for four half gallons to be shipped to me. Oh well, less calories to consume. That's the only plus.
Blue Bell and Publix brand both come in half gallon size. Sometimes Publix has 2 for 1 of their brand ice cream for about $7 or $8 . Then it is celery sticks and carrots for a few days to keep my boyish figure.

Cheers!
Old 06-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quality versus price, apples and oranges, age old conversation...

Old 06-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #236

I was cruising up the main drag in my eastern Pa town today, just out of curiosity, to see what was happening at the sidewalk cafes. Lots of folks packed into 4-person tables, looking happy. And hey, they walled off some parking spaces and put tables there instead, for extra seating. Cool..... And then I noticed it... no one was wearing a mask! Only the waiters and waitresses.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I was cruising up the main drag in my eastern Pa town today, just out of curiosity, to see what was happening at the sidewalk cafes. Lots of folks packed into 4-person tables, looking happy. And hey, they walled off some parking spaces and put tables there instead, for extra seating. Cool..... And then I noticed it... no one was wearing a mask! Only the waiters and waitresses.
I wasn’t expecting diners would be wearing masks, kinda hard to eat and drink, and presumably most diners are at tables with family members or very familiar friends.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #238
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ate out twice the last week and a bit. Oddly, I felt more comfortable at the restaurants versus grocery shopping.
Different restaurants seem to have slightly different rules and configurations.
The first restaurant was just a chain restaurant I went to, to visit a friend for a few beers. Servers wearing masks. Tables very spaced apart except for the back to back to back booths. Plexiglas hanging from the ceiling along the bar, if you wanted to sit there and kibbitz with the bartender. Arrows on the floor to coordinate floor traffic. Drank winter ales (dark beer with a hint a vanilla) which are normally gone/sold out by April since it's a seasonal brew.

Second restaurant was a Japanese lunch place. Servers wearing masks.
Way less tables to allow for distancing and Plexiglas dividers between tables. They also took down a name and telephone number from each table to aid in contact tracing if it came to that. Fricken delicious curry udon.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #239
Give me a forum ...

In my state restaurants that have employees who test positive for Covid-19 are not required to report this to the health authorities or reveal this to the public. I am hearing that some local restaurants have had positive cases among employees--one is a restaurant where I have been doing take out. I called the restaurant and asked if they had employees test positive and they said no--but how can I be sure? What are other states doing on this issue?
Old 06-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
In my state restaurants that have employees who test positive for Covid-19 are not required to report this to the health authorities or reveal this to the public. I am hearing that some local restaurants have had positive cases among employees--one is a restaurant where I have been doing take out. I called the restaurant and asked if they had employees test positive and they said no--but how can I be sure? What are other states doing on this issue?
Of course they can’t tell an anonymous customer who calls in, but in N.C. they are required to:
  • Conduct daily symptom screening of workers, using a standard interview questionnaire of symptoms, before workers enter the workplace
  • Immediately isolate and remove sick workers;
Some employees volunteer the information, and they are entitled to leave.

https://files.nc.gov/governor/docume...hase-2-FAQ.pdf

And the CDC restaurant guidelines state:
  • Make sure that employees know they should not come to work if they are sick, and they should notify their manager or other designated COVID-19 point of contact if they become sick with COVID-19 symptoms, test positive for COVID-19, or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 symptoms or a confirmed or suspected case.

And finally a restaurant that isn’t practicing safe precautions and has an outbreak will suffer business losses. That’s a deterrent as well.

Closed Thread