Poll: Are You Ready To Return To Your Favorite Dine In Restaurant?

Are You Ready To Return To Your Fav Dine In Restaurant (see Assumption in OP)?

• I’d be back within 2 weeks

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • I’d be back within 2 months

Votes: 40 13.2%
  • It’ll be longer than 2 months for us

Votes: 149 49.3%
  • I don’t go to dine in restaurants regularly

Votes: 46 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You drink too much and leave your car at the restaurant . You uber home and get it the next day.

Hot weather here in Bay Area and restaurants opened up outdoor dining but some places the tables are close together.

They may shut it down since CA is seeing increasing cases in the last 2 weeks.

Severe obesity is an underlying health condition...

Why do you mention severe obesity when they posted no health conditions for the 40 and 38 year olds who died? Don’t you think severe obesity would have been included as an underlying health condition in those cases?

Last edited:
CDC has just added mild obesity to the list of risk factors. Has also removed ages 65 and up to be replaced by risk by increasing age.

Rianne , I would give him a one time pass . He probably needed a little touch of his old reality .I think we all need that occasionally
After our intense discussion, I gave DH a pass. I reminded him of how sick he was...even though his Covid test came back negative. I still believe it was a false negative as I've not seen him (in 35 years) this sick with most of Covid symptoms except shortness of breath. My point, he was super careful then, look how easy it is to misstep, unintentionally. We spent 2+ weeks monitoring his 104 temp, night sweats, lack of sleep, inability to lift his head. And when he finally went to the Dr, a spot on his lungs. How quickly he forgot that episode. I was at risk but dodged the bullet, that time.

DH stressed the distance they were, a cool night with a breeze and they were outside the main table area, far from the other tables. A member of his golf buddies was the emergency room Dr. who still believes we should not have shut down the economy. I feel like a worried mother who dislikes the friends my kid hangs out with, even though we don't have kids. No doubt, this friend enticed him to party on.

He agreed, never again. If I start to get symptoms...well, I won't go there yet. He's probably got antibodies. Now I wonder, if he indeed has antibodies, can he still spread the virus? Yikes, the questions keep coming.

I just read an article (sorry, don't know how to imbed it here) from CNBC, JP Morgan analyzed data from 30 million Chase cardholders and Johns Hopkins case tracker and found that higher restaurant spending predicted a rise in new infections 3 weeks later. In person spending was "particularly predictive".
Also just read that Texas and Florida governors ordering bars to close.

Glad we are not doing any in person restaurant dining. Take out only!

W2R

As kids growing up in New Orleans we would run through the fog when they sprayed our neighborhood.

I know, not too smart.

I would agree with this if he is contrite, and realizes he's put them both at risk, and is apologetic. Has he asked for a one time pass or a season pass?

If there's a disconnect between what Rianne and her DH now consider acceptable, there's a long conversation to be had.

I have been wondering what would happen - as I'm sure is happening in many homes - when partners aren't on the same page for covid-re-entry. It's bound to create some conflicts. I'm personally a little less risk-averse than DH, but I figure his comfort level is where we set the bar. But as for restaurants, he's happy to go outside to our sushi place each week, and that works for me.

My DH and I are now social distancing from each other. Today makes the sixth day. I am definitely more risk-averse than he is.

He knows how extremely careful that I have been and we have talked about the risks. He told me that he was going out for a corvette ride. No risk in that. He comes back a few hours later and said he is going to take a nap. Doorbell rings and a friend of his says that he thought he left his phone in the corvette. You certainly are not social distancing in a corvette.

I am 67 and he is 68 yrs old. He is in the obese category.

We don't seem to have mosquitos either, even though it rains a lot here. I have never had even one mosquito bite since I moved to our suburb 21 years ago.

Residents here are cautioned about emptying containers of standing water, but also here's what I think may be the real reason why we have no mosquitos: Trucks fog the neighborhoods with insecticide quite regularly in our neighborhood. OK, those of you cringing may un-cringe now. We like what they do here for insect control.
W2R

As kids growing up in New Orleans we would run through the fog when they sprayed our neighborhood.

I know, not too smart.

:ROFLMAO: We did that too (elsewhere, I didn't grow up here). It never seemed to harm anybody and I am still alive and kickin' at age 72.

I checked online, and Jefferson Parish, where I live, alternates between several insecticides to fog with. That is probably a good idea. Still have not had the first mosquito bite in the last 20+ years.

We've eaten outside at one restaurant tourists don't visit. Our only interaction was with our waitress. I won't eat inside nor go to tourist destinations.

Past that we walk daily without masks as they are not required or really needed. Twenty yards of separation isn't a problem.

Illinois entered phase 4 today. Phase 4 allows dining in restaurants with restrictions. I wanted to stop at a Portillo's drive through, but DW needed to use the rest room. So we went in - around 10:30 am.

I was the only customer, which never happens at a Portillo's. Every other table is marked with a big "x" indicating that nobody can sit there. All employees were wearing masks. I was also, but I don't know if masks are required for patrons. Lots of plexiglass separating workers from patrons.

I just ordered my food to go, and it was an ok experience. I could have eaten my food there without worries - I was the only person in the place. Situation may be a lot different at peak times.

Accidently ate in a restaurant today.
Went for a drive and realized we were about 10 miles away from the restaurant that won the NY Beef Council's best burger in NY State. Looked it up and saw outdoor tables so we figured it would be fine. When we arrived there were two employees and zero customers so we decided to eat inside. Customers did straggle in later, but Other than the cook/bartender/waitress, no one came within 15 feet of us.

Our restaurants were supposed to open tomorrow but that's being delayed. It's okay ... GS1 is furloughed and eating me out of house & home. Forgot how much he can eat

Gaul, I feel your pain. My youngest son left Vietnam and moved in with us. Our grocery bill is way up. My friend and I going to PF Changs for lunch.

Gotta Follow the Basics

xTcZ9HDd7DR1EL2bg0URAZ01Eiasm1fT-PIwKDhDz4QanmwQ0SlSDCfDqn6v5UBSjS5HXek2scDNqT2M1ZmeMosWzaRkbGzXduXeOaas4LeBCI8f2gIrvTvpV0O53olXiv3UVXg6kqAzCY0Xiiij9BASi_RnY8Gf1BEJfxMrTdqj89cw-a-JFXhsdhYXzDJiJHTzVqe-B2sf9A8NeLlaX0k5isUK5vg1OpfCQ9O9CvDWkjaKJcXmIWVmRBfQCaYxW1_EKS7MFGsfxMZDXK1sNFsM5wvAKbie_SbCW9f9ilMEDSgjK-X3yZ610c-uReC5Zfbh7MmU_Gp4f-vXljex7cQ87tr-Qd1AbgsMiEI0G4_41PYYFKEtGJqb1x6xXVkjom_o2icgPC0pNI6YjMGv31JPAYI6iS6-Rb4QErIGyTReraWiE2kicuI5-LH4XT_Q5gCpXEXU8lHE7_IByTducXYx4YVVd0xbeuEDQVi5fUpHQV5Xkn_WygoPY2Fm5rTktxhmT2fLpibFS3ux5OzgRlxT4H_mLZqDS_DoUlp1Q7xvHhNH-PTVy2Add8M307T5bdH2S2rnF11TUV4nTz5eRO6okYutyUnfvxU4_PDHaAKXhaWOAhvcZdDVvyb2yPWlNqVDlXium0FEXPhGZ-3Af89-3Snky9dfH_maoXU52atq-VFC-jbfXS60BiOSACQ=w1164-h655-no

Been back to 2 of our 3 favourite restaurants and doing the third in the next week. All proper distancing, masking and cleaning. The staff need the good tips.

Is the mask a "requirement", or just suggested?

Everything I have read (and no I am not going to search for it and cite it) says outdoor activities, not in close proximity to others, are extremely low risk.
+1

In our state the mask requirement is any time (inside or out) when you will be within 6 feet of other people

After indoor dining was allowed again here on Long Island (NY) a few weeks ago, my ladyfriend and I were eager to go out to eat again. The last time we went out to east was New Years Eve, and we lost out on our usual dining outs for our birthdays which were in late March (hers) and April (mine).

Last Friday, with her being off from work, we went to our local Applebee's for lunch, figuring lunch would be far less crowded than dinner. And it was, as there very few diners inside. Every other table and booth were roped off, but we sat far away from everyone until a trio of new diners sat near (but not too near) us.

Other than it being a little tough to communicate with the waitress due to the masks, everything went fine. A small note - I wanted some Worcestershire Sauce with my meal but any item like that which may be touched by other diners was not available. It wasn't crucial to my meal because of what I had ordered, but next time I may have to bring my own bottle.

No. We have not been to any restaurant or public events or gatherings since returning home in March. We have done a few take aways. I have not been to the barber. We both wear masks when we are in pubic buildings, grocery stores, etc. We keep to ourselves and limit our trips to buy groceries.

Our public health experts claim that dining in restaurants can be disaster area for covid.

Covid is under control where we live. We want it to stay that way. We want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Last edited:
Our region opened up to Phase 3 yesterday which allows indoor dining with social distancing, but DH and I have no plans to dine in, or out at this point. We will at least wait for a few weeks to see if the infection numbers in our region will creep back up. The numbers for our province has already been increasing since we opened up for Phase 2, so who knows what the situation looks like in a few weeks...

Been back to 2 of our 3 favourite restaurants and doing the third in the next week. All proper distancing, masking and cleaning. The staff need the good tips.
We resumed going to restaurants 2-3 times a week about 3 weeks ago. We wear masks, use hand sanitizer, and keep our distance and we have eaten outside where possible, but we have eaten inside a few times. However, if there’s any hint the restaurant isn’t serious about their end of the bargain, server masks, more than 6 feet between tables or any other questionable practice, we walk out. There are substantial differences in how some restaurants are adapting, some are clearly serious, others are clearly going through the motions - masks worn below mouths, sticky old menus, etc. We may never go back to the latter, even when the pandemic is over - our previous favorite pizza place and coffee shop probably won’t ever see us again...

On a related note, I wonder if some/many fast food places will ever reopen dining rooms? They don’t appear to be suffering any lost business, and their costs without dining rooms and counters have to be lower. A new norm for many? Frankly I’d rather do drive through and find a nearby park (or similar) to eat than go in a fast food dining room for the foreseeable future...

Last edited:
I feel the same way . If the restaurant is not taking this serious I am not going there . I was very surprised that a local pub type place was serious about it from the start . Our regular place is super vigilant including fogging the place every evening . I feel safe there .We have cut down our frequency of dining out until this is over .

I don't think disinfecting surfaces is that critical as transmission through fomites isn't thought to be significant percentage of the infections.

Distancing is important but beware that air circulation indoors may make distancing an insufficient measure for preventing transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom