Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are You Ready To Return To Your Fav Dine In Restaurant (see Assumption in OP)?
I’d be back within 2 weeks 67 22.19%
I’d be back within 2 months 40 13.25%
It’ll be longer than 2 months for us 149 49.34%
I don’t go to dine in restaurants regularly 46 15.23%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of our favorite restaurants is a Chinese buffet. It will be difficult for me to eat in any buffet restaurant at this time and feel safe.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Your first time out in months and you chose to go to a waffle house? Words fail me.
Have to agree. The last time we went to a Waffle House was in the early 90’s, and we’ll never go back.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your first time out in months and you chose to go to a waffle house? Words fail me.
I read it as if it were a fueled by alcohol adventure.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s really just a game of statistics, right? If COVID has burned through your area, then no problem. O/w it’s a roll of how likely will my waiter have asymptomatic infection? Because if they’re infected, and asymptomatic, then they are in the high virus shedding phase. And a roll of: if I get it, what kind of case am I likely to have?

We won’t be eating out for awhile. We do get carry out about 4x/wk, very hot foods only. My kids have been missing their sushi.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
not me....excellent choice! love waffle house. can't wait to do lunch with my buds at our fav hot dog place and dinner and a movie with my wife.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 05-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
It’s really just a game of statistics, right? If COVID has burned through your area, then no problem. O/w it’s a roll of how likely will my waiter have asymptomatic infection? Because if they’re infected, and asymptomatic, then they are in the high virus shedding phase. And a roll of: if I get it, what kind of case am I likely to have?

We won’t be eating out for awhile. We do get carry out about 4x/wk, very hot foods only. My kids have been missing their sushi.
Our waiter last night told us he had to be tested before returning to work.
The credit card transaction is now touchless. You scan a QR code on the receipt and do the transaction through your phone. Patio dining only and when you walked through the restaurant you had to have on a mask.
All the tables were full of happy diners. All spaced accordingly.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Sitting in a closed room with many other customers who are not wearing masks makes restaurant dining a non-starter for us until local statistics indicate that "up close and personal" contact with my fellow citizens is likely OK. The fact that the staff might be masked helps, but we're worried about sitting 6 - 8 ft from unmasked, infected folks at the next table for an hour or so.

Still thinking through restaurants that offer outside, widely spaced seating.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Sitting in a closed room with many other customers who are not wearing masks makes restaurant dining a non-starter for us until local statistics indicate that "up close and personal" contact with my fellow citizens is likely OK. The fact that the staff might be masked helps, but we're worried about sitting 6 - 8 ft from unmasked, infected folks at the next table for an hour or so.

Still thinking through restaurants that offer outside, widely spaced seating.
Here it’s patio dining only and the tables were at least 12-15ft apart.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedmakr View Post
If I was in my 30s - 50s my response might be different, but at 65 I'm not going to sit down in a restaurant. At some point the experts (scientists not politicians) will say the threat of exposure has diminished dramatically and or the remedies significantly diminish the consequences of the disease. Then I'll reassess.

I wonder if if the folks who are now going to restaurants or are willing to go have personally known someone who has passed from covid.
This is an excellent question! We have not spoken with anyone who has had the virus and we have not spoken with anyone who personally knows anyone who has had the virus. Admittedly a small sample group. Our reality does not compute with what is on the news.

We are being careful and cautious but we are making a choice to support our local small business too. The spot we dined at had very other booth closed off and the wall behind the bar is all open to patio. Less than 25% occupancy and most recognizable neighbors or friends.

I don't want to become ill, but I'm more afraid of the economic danger to our country and the quick loss of freedoms we traded to feel safe.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I was in my 30s - 50s my response might be different, but at 65 I'm not going to sit down in a restaurant. At some point the experts (scientists not politicians) will say the threat of exposure has diminished dramatically and or the remedies significantly diminish the consequences of the disease. Then I'll reassess.

I wonder if if the folks who are now going to restaurants or are willing to go have personally known someone who has passed from covid.
I know someone who passed. He caught it in his nursing home.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Here it’s patio dining only and the tables were at least 12-15ft apart.
Combined w/ restaurant staff pre-tested would be about as good as you can get. We’ll still stick w/ takeaway, though, including that from the Wuhan restaurant case study.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Combined w/ restaurant staff pre-tested would be about as good as you can get. We’ll still stick w/ takeaway, though, including that from the Wuhan restaurant case study.
The one associated with air conditioning?
Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
not me....excellent choice! love waffle house. can't wait to do lunch with my buds at our fav hot dog place and dinner and a movie with my wife.
Went to a Waffle House last year and ordered waffles.
Have to say I was not impressed. No different than an Eggo. The southern style service was great though.
CrackerBarrel/Hampton Inn waffles much better.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

The Waffle House brings back a rush of memories from the early 1980s. A long college baseball road trip through Arkansas and Missouri. Our school (or our coach) must have received a sweet deal or kickbacks from the Waffle House management, because that was the only establishment he would allow the team bus to stop at for breakfast, and even some evening meals. We begged to go other places but it never happened. It was the first time some of us "northerners" were introduced to grits. Great memories! I haven't eaten at a Waffle House since. Primarily because the chain is not near me.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #75

Quote:
...I wonder if if the folks who are now going to restaurants or are willing to go have personally known someone who has passed from covid.
not passed but three friends have had it (only one had a test). one mildly ill for a few days, one really sick for 5-6 weeks and the third (he was tested) went to hospital with pneumonia, was tested and found to also have CV19. they all recovered at home and are doing fine. we are eager to go out to eat.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 05-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our waiter last night told us he had to be tested before returning to work.
The credit card transaction is now touchless. You scan a QR code on the receipt and do the transaction through your phone. Patio dining only and when you walked through the restaurant you had to have on a mask.
All the tables were full of happy diners. All spaced accordingly.
I’m impressed that the waiter was tested?

I like the QR code approach for paying the bill. Way better than the old way we seemed to be stuck with forever.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #77

I enjoy cooking and getting occasional takeout. I’m not going into a restaurant again until I determine to my satisfaction that it’s safe to do so and, therefore, enjoyable.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #78

Absolutely. As long as polls like this one remain the pattern where a majority of people who frequent restaurants are going to wait 2+ months (or maybe never return). There is just some food that doesn't do well via take-out, even for those restaurants that are designed for it. Take-out/drive-thru/delivery is a big thing here in Central Texas, and I'm not talking about the fast food joints.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The one associated with air conditioning?
Yes, indoors. Outdoors, I wouldn’t want to be downdraft of anyone.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Went to a Waffle House last year and ordered waffles.
Have to say I was not impressed. No different than an Eggo.
IMHO, Waffle House waffles are much better than Eggo or anything you can buy frozen in the store. Light, fluffy, and delicious. Looking forward to having them again one day soon.
Closed Thread