Poll: Are You Ready To Return To Your Favorite Dine In Restaurant?

Are You Ready To Return To Your Fav Dine In Restaurant (see Assumption in OP)?

• I’d be back within 2 weeks

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • I’d be back within 2 months

Votes: 40 13.2%
  • It’ll be longer than 2 months for us

Votes: 149 49.3%
  • I don’t go to dine in restaurants regularly

Votes: 46 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm seeing that the restaurant dining experience is not very relaxing. The atmosphere is part of the price and the reason for dining out. Being able to meet with friends is part of it. I just don't see that happening where I am.

One part of the dining experience is to eat food you can't or won't cook yourself. Ordering the same food as takeout doesn't always solve this problem. Some food needs to be served and eaten fresh and not steaming in it's own vapors in a box for the 30 minutes it takes to get to you.

Fortunately, there is a lot of outside dining where I live because of the tropical climate. Once they start selling alcohol from restaurants again I think a lot more people will be returning to at least the outdoor dining venues. I wouldn't hesitate to go out and meet with my friends under those conditions. It would be exactly the same relaxing dining experience as before.

IHOP has had that for years, near us it was a 2 for 1 early bird special.

If I finally decide to go out to a restaurant it will not be to IHOP or a Waffle House. Those type restaurants are not for me.

So went to a restaurant yesterday and dined outside. First time since the virus hit.
It was very nice. All servers wore gloves and masks with all tables (only 7 of them) more than 6 ft apart.
It was fairly hot even in the shade, but overall a good experience for us.

If I was in my 30s - 50s my response might be different, but at 65 I'm not going to sit down in a restaurant. At some point the experts (scientists not politicians) will say the threat of exposure has diminished dramatically and or the remedies significantly diminish the consequences of the disease. Then I'll reassess.

I wonder if if the folks who are now going to restaurants or are willing to go have personally known someone who has passed from covid.

+1

Two close friends had the disease, both suffered greatly, one died. Both were in excellent health & thought they were taking precautions.

The number of new cases in NYC has dropped sharply but returning to restaurants is very low on my list of priorities. And who wants to eat in an environment where there are constant reminders of the precautions being taken to minimize the risk of sickness?

So many restaurants are not going to be reopening that there may not be any to go to.

Did not go out to eat a lot before Covid, no reason to rush back now.

DH is a very good cook.

Every year for our anniversary we go to Sierra Pines Resort, Sierra City, CA. The cabins and rooms won't be open yet, but their restaurant will be open this weekend. We have reservations at 5pm when they open on Sunday. My thoughts are;
Sierra County has had zero cases of virus.
The place has been scrubbed and we'll be the first seated.
There are some things that are just worth the risk. Ha!

I don't think we'll be dining out much more than that this year though.

Typical... I can't vote since none of the options fit in my case. I've been dining in for a couple of weeks now at various local restaurants. With less than 10 CV cases in my county (and no new ones in the past two weeks) I'm not to worried.

RANT ON:

I'm not sure the PPE helps a lot. Example, I went to Subway yesterday and saw all the "protective measures" that were in place. The lady making sandwiches behind the counter had on a face mask and fancy blue gloves (looked expensive). There was a plastic screen at the checkout counter and the floor had social distant markers every 6 feet. Sounds good right?

So none of the customers seemed to be paying any attention to the floor markers and the plastic screen at the checkout counter was turned sideways since it was "in the way". Then I watched the lady making sandwiches. She was taking cash payments and making change for the customers, while consistently adjusting her face mask since it didn't fit very well. Then she was going right back to making sandwiches without changing her gloves. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: So this is actually worse than before all this started. In the past they changed their gloves every time they started working on a new sandwich order. Of course those were the cheap throw away clear gloves..... But still, a lot better than not changing gloves.

I already send an emal to Subway customer services, for all the good it will do.)

RANT Off:

Last edited:
Typical... I can't vote since none of the options fit in my case. I've been dining in for a couple of weeks now at various local restaurants. With less than 10 CV cases in my county (and no new ones in the past two weeks) I'm not to worried.
Easy. Did you go back within 2 weeks of reopen or 2 months? Has to be one or the other...

Last edited:
Easy. Did you go back within 2 weeks of reopen or 2 months? Has to be one or the other...
You're right, I read it too fast and/or incorrectly..... I went back the day they opened so it was well within 2 weeks. I was more concerned about getting my rant posted. However, it may now be more than 2 months before I go back to Subway...:)

Last edited:
Maybe there could be an early bird special time just for seniors? We seem to eat earlier and earlier anyway.

What if non-seniors are still in the restaurant though? Do they get kicked out before they can finish their meal? No one under 65 can enter until senior time is over? That's ageism in reverse and it isn't legal for a business that serves the general public to refuse service to anyone because of their age. Read the following article:

The Right To Refuse Service? Businesses and Discrimination

Over the last several decades, the civil rights movement in the United States has led to important legal changes guaranteeing the rights of individuals to be free from discrimination based on sex, gender, race, religion, and a number of other factors. The Federal Civil Rights Act mandates “full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.”

Restaurants and stores qualify as “public accommodations” even if they’re a private business. As such, discrimination laws apply just as much on private property and to private businesses as they do in any public place.

Whether you post a sign or not, businesses never have the right to refuse or turn away customers because of their race, gender, age, nationality or religion. In addition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, several states have their own civil rights legislation designed to prevent discrimination.

You've posted before of the idea of special senior dining rooms, or something like that. If I understand you correctly, you'd like to eat out again and being in a restaurant with only seniors as your fellow customers would make you feel more comfortable. I don't expect to change your mind on that, but that would only be an illusion of safety. There is no guarantee that seniors are practicing social distancing any more effectively than the general public at large. Some seniors have been spending time with their grandchildren, too.

With all due respect, I believe you've said that you've only basically done curbside grocery pickup since March. Since March, I've been inside various grocery stores once or twice a week at various times. I went inside Dillard's on the first day they were open this month, within the first half hour. I've been inside a few restaurants for carryout food once or twice a week at various times. I can assure you that seniors have been present in all of these places, exposing themselves to the general public, many of them not practicing social distancing in the least, even going the wrong way down the clearly marked aisles at Walmart. My point is, seniors as a group aren't necessarily isolating themselves to the degree that you and some other forum members may be doing. Therefore, seniors as a group aren't any safer to be around than most age groups.

YMMV, but in my area, I'm never forced to shop or dine out during crowded times. If I would normally patronize a business when it's crowded, it's usually by choice and only for a special reason. Even the most popular places have slower times, especially during the work week. Even Walmart has slower times, but those are fewer than other places. Right now, the new social distancing requirements make everything take longer. Put on the mask. Read all the new notices posted on the doors. Am I allowed to enter and exit via the same doors? Maybe not right now. Will there be a line waiting outside when I get there? I haven't had that displeasure yet. :cool: Look for the social distancing markers on the floor to know where I'm allowed to stand and which way I'm allowed to walk. It sounds ridiculous, like we're all children who need to be directed by the grown-ups, but that's the new reality.

Back to restaurants in particular. I've read varying accounts. Some restaurant dining rooms have chosen not to reopen, but remain available for carryout. I haven't read that tons of restaurant dining rooms have been filled to their new reduced capacities. Many are still operating with reduced menu options. I haven't dined out yet, but would be willing to. My birthday is next week and I'd like to dine out at a full service restaurant, not necessarily on the exact day, but as my family's work schedules will allow. However, it won't happen because of different work shifts and different days off. It is what it is and at least there's still carryout. It will be my first time doing an online order with curbside pickup at a full service restaurant. :)

DD didn't work on Thursday, the first day dining rooms opened in Ohio. She heard it was fairly busy for dining in that day, as if people just had to get it out of their systems right away. She said they had no more than 3 tables continually occupied throughout her shift (7 AM to 4 PM) yesterday. There's a new posted reduced capacity of 54. It was also raining continuously all day, so that could have kept more people away. They have a couple of new large signs for designated curbside pickup spots, where most of those customers seemed to be parking anyway.

From what I've seen and read, restaurants aren't expecting people to start flocking to dine in all of a sudden. They're still prominently promoting online ordering, carryout, curbside pickup, and delivery. DD said that they've been having a noticeable increase in Door Dash orders lately. Of course, they want people to come and dine in, just not too many at once please, because that's not allowed right now.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to expose themselves to an environment that's not comfortable for them. I'm (probably unsuccessfully) trying to put to rest this idea that a restaurant (or any other business) is going to create special senior hours during their regular hours of operation. It's not legal. (Hence probably why senior grocery hours are outside of normal store operating hours.) It's not practical. It's not necessary. Dine in when it's less crowded. Avoid lunch break hours. Avoid peak dinner hours. I've done this successfully before COVID-19, even at popular places that are usually packed during peak hours. Enjoy some carryout. Or don't. It's a personal choice. Your choice does not bother me as long as you don't get to choose to prevent me from dining out when you do. That's where the line should be drawn.

Next time anyone is tempted to refer to younger generations as "special little snowflakes" or something similarly derogatory, remember that they're not the ones wanting businesses to cater to them with special senior hours or even entire senior shopping days, as has been suggested on this forum by a few. Pot calling the kettle black as my beloved late grandmother used to say.

I just read an article saying some Chicago restaurants are planning on plexiglas between booths and (artificial) hedges between outdoor tables. I assume those are to bring capacity back closer to 100%, though the article didn’t come out and say that.

DW and I went to a Bruegger’s Bagel this AM for breakfast sandwiches, they’re carry out only even though dine in became legal here last night. The employees were all wearing masks, though one kept pulling hers down to talk - probably not ideal while handling food. About half the customers wore masks and kept their distance, but the other half didn’t have masks and were oblivious to distancing for whatever reason (forget or don’t care?). I wish everyone would do their part, but as long as I can keep my distance, I know there will be others who won’t.

Last edited:
RANT ON:

I'm not sure the PPE helps a lot. Example, I went to Subway yesterday and saw all the "protective measures" that were in place. The lady making sandwiches behind the counter had on a face mask and fancy blue gloves (looked expensive). There was a plastic screen at the checkout counter and the floor had social distant markers every 6 feet. Sounds good right?

So none of the customers seemed to be paying any attention to the floor markers and the plastic screen at the checkout counter was turned sideways since it was "in the way". Then I watched the lady making sandwiches. She was taking cash payments and making change for the customers, while consistently adjusting her face mask since it didn't fit very well. Then she was going right back to making sandwiches without changing her gloves. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: So this is actually worse than before all this started. In the past they changed their gloves every time they started working on a new sandwich order. Of course those were the cheap throw away clear gloves..... But still, a lot better than not changing gloves.

I already send an emal to Subway customer services, for all the good it will do.)

RANT Off:

Decades ago at McDonald's when the sandwiches were made in bulk and stored in the warming bins, there were no gloves. There was no routine hand washing. The cashiers had to grab the sandwiches off the trays and wrap them. This all happened in full view of the customers. No plastic was accepted as payment. It was all cash. During lunch and dinner rushes, your sandwich was handled by as many as 4 people while it was being made, then wrapped, then given to you. Bare unwashed hands. I'd bet that many people on this forum ate hundreds of Big Macs and Quarter Pounders and have lived to tell the tale. :D

Of course, I realize these are different circumstances, but I'm just sayin'.

Decades ago at McDonald's when the sandwiches were made in bulk and stored in the warming bins, there were no gloves. There was no routine hand washing. The cashiers had to grab the sandwiches off the trays and wrap them. This all happened in full view of the customers. No plastic was accepted as payment. It was all cash. During lunch and dinner rushes, your sandwich was handled by as many as 4 people while it was being made, then wrapped, then given to you. Bare unwashed hands. I'd bet that many people on this forum ate hundreds of Big Macs and Quarter Pounders and have lived to tell the tale. :D

Of course, I realize these are different circumstances, but I'm just sayin'.
Yes these are different times but that was along the lines of the point I was trying to make when I said "I'm not sure the PPE helps a lot". I never thought restaurants were particularly clean places to eat in the first place. Many places still aren't really trying today, even when the public is watching so close. And I don't expect it to get better.

Last edited:
What if non-seniors are still in the restaurant though? Do they get kicked out before they can finish their meal? No one under 65 can enter until senior time is over? That's ageism in reverse and it isn't legal for a business that serves the general public to refuse service to anyone because of their age. Read the following article:

The Right To Refuse Service? Businesses and Discrimination

You've posted before of the idea of special senior dining rooms, or something like that. If I understand you correctly, you'd like to eat out again and being in a restaurant with only seniors as your fellow customers would make you feel more comfortable. I don't expect to change your mind on that, but that would only be an illusion of safety. There is no guarantee that seniors are practicing social distancing any more effectively than the general public at large. Some seniors have been spending time with their grandchildren, too.

With all due respect, I believe you've said that you've only basically done curbside grocery pickup since March. Since March, I've been inside various grocery stores once or twice a week at various times. I went inside Dillard's on the first day they were open this month, within the first half hour. I've been inside a few restaurants for carryout food once or twice a week at various times. I can assure you that seniors have been present in all of these places, exposing themselves to the general public, many of them not practicing social distancing in the least, even going the wrong way down the clearly marked aisles at Walmart. My point is, seniors as a group aren't necessarily isolating themselves to the degree that you and some other forum members may be doing. Therefore, seniors as a group aren't any safer to be around than most age groups.

YMMV, but in my area, I'm never forced to shop or dine out during crowded times. If I would normally patronize a business when it's crowded, it's usually by choice and only for a special reason. Even the most popular places have slower times, especially during the work week. Even Walmart has slower times, but those are fewer than other places. Right now, the new social distancing requirements make everything take longer. Put on the mask. Read all the new notices posted on the doors. Am I allowed to enter and exit via the same doors? Maybe not right now. Will there be a line waiting outside when I get there? I haven't had that displeasure yet. :cool: Look for the social distancing markers on the floor to know where I'm allowed to stand and which way I'm allowed to walk. It sounds ridiculous, like we're all children who need to be directed by the grown-ups, but that's the new reality.

Back to restaurants in particular. I've read varying accounts. Some restaurant dining rooms have chosen not to reopen, but remain available for carryout. I haven't read that tons of restaurant dining rooms have been filled to their new reduced capacities. Many are still operating with reduced menu options. I haven't dined out yet, but would be willing to. My birthday is next week and I'd like to dine out at a full service restaurant, not necessarily on the exact day, but as my family's work schedules will allow. However, it won't happen because of different work shifts and different days off. It is what it is and at least there's still carryout. It will be my first time doing an online order with curbside pickup at a full service restaurant. :)

DD didn't work on Thursday, the first day dining rooms opened in Ohio. She heard it was fairly busy for dining in that day, as if people just had to get it out of their systems right away. She said they had no more than 3 tables continually occupied throughout her shift (7 AM to 4 PM) yesterday. There's a new posted reduced capacity of 54. It was also raining continuously all day, so that could have kept more people away. They have a couple of new large signs for designated curbside pickup spots, where most of those customers seemed to be parking anyway.

From what I've seen and read, restaurants aren't expecting people to start flocking to dine in all of a sudden. They're still prominently promoting online ordering, carryout, curbside pickup, and delivery. DD said that they've been having a noticeable increase in Door Dash orders lately. Of course, they want people to come and dine in, just not too many at once please, because that's not allowed right now.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to expose themselves to an environment that's not comfortable for them. I'm (probably unsuccessfully) trying to put to rest this idea that a restaurant (or any other business) is going to create special senior hours during their regular hours of operation. It's not legal. (Hence probably why senior grocery hours are outside of normal store operating hours.) It's not practical. It's not necessary. Dine in when it's less crowded. Avoid lunch break hours. Avoid peak dinner hours. I've done this successfully before COVID-19, even at popular places that are usually packed during peak hours. Enjoy some carryout. Or don't. It's a personal choice. Your choice does not bother me as long as you don't get to choose to prevent me from dining out when you do. That's where the line should be drawn.

Next time anyone is tempted to refer to younger generations as "special little snowflakes" or something similarly derogatory, remember that they're not the ones wanting businesses to cater to them with special senior hours or even entire senior shopping days, as has been suggested on this forum by a few. Pot calling the kettle black as my beloved late grandmother used to say.

Wow. I think this post was directed at me so I will attempt to respond. I am a 68, DH is older and has a health problem. Before Covid-19 we ate out a lot, and spent a lot of money at our favorite restaurants. Since Covid we have just done curbside pick up maybe twice a week. I do grocery pick up and have been doing that along time--even before Covid.

Restaurants in our state just allowed eat in starting yesterday but at only 50% capacity, tables have to be 6 feet apart etc. Many restaurants are not opening including my favorite because they say they cannot make it with the restrictions.

Grocery stores in my area have early hours for seniors which seem popular so I suggested early hours for seniors (maybe even 4:00) to give these businesses some more income. Since it is legal to have grocery senior hours it will probably be legal for restaurants to have early senior hours under these usual times.

I hate it that it looks like so many restaurants are going to have to go out of business. None of my friends are going back to eat out now because they are concerned about the virus. Over 65s make up 25% of consumer spending so I just don't see how the restaurants are going to make it without our business. My suggestion of early bird hours for seniors is me trying to be creative to help restaurants. I just hate to see many restaurants close permanently which is unfortunately what I see happening.

I have never referred to young people as "snowflakes" or anything else derogatory. I love young people, heck I live in a college town.

Grocery stores in my area have early hours for seniors which seem popular so I suggested early hours for seniors (maybe even 4:00) to give these businesses some more income. Since it is legal to have grocery senior hours it will probably be legal for restaurants to have early senior hours under these usual times.

None of my friends are going back to eat out now because they are concerned about the virus. Over 65s make up 25% of consumer spending so I just don't see how the restaurants are going to make it without our business. My suggestion of early bird hours for seniors is me trying to be creative to help restaurants. I just hate to see many restaurants close permanently which is unfortunately what I see happening.
I think the point was why would seniors be safer among seniors only? I don’t see why seniors would be safer with senior hours at grocery stores, restaurants or anywhere else. IME seniors are no better or worse than younger folks about wearing masks, wearing them correctly or observing physical distances.

Wow. I think this post was directed at me so I will attempt to respond. I am a 68, DH is older and has a health problem. Before Covid-19 we ate out a lot, and spent a lot of money at our favorite restaurants. Since Covid we have just done curbside pick up maybe twice a week. I do grocery pick up and have been doing that along time--even before Covid.

Restaurants in our state just allowed eat in starting yesterday but at only 50% capacity, tables have to be 6 feet apart etc. Many restaurants are not opening including my favorite because they say they cannot make it with the restrictions.

I hate it that it looks like so many restaurants are going to have to go out of business. None of my friends are going back to eat out now because they are concerned about the virus. Over 65s make up 25% of consumer spending so I just don't see how the restaurants are going to make it without our business. My suggestion of early bird hours for seniors is me trying to be creative to help restaurants. I just hate to see many restaurants close permanently which is unfortunately what I see happening.

I have never referred to young people as "snowflakes" or anything else derogatory. I love young people, heck I live in a college town.

Some of my post was directed at you, but some of it wasn't. I know you've said you're 68, then in a recent post, you said you were 69. I thought maybe you had a birthday recently. Or maybe it was a typo, no matter. :confused:

Do you mean 4 AM or 4 PM? That's a serious question because I guess I don't go to many restaurants that aren't open at least by lunchtime or breakfast. If I go for dinner, I don't pay much attention to when they opened. You're not going to be helping restaurants if you mean that a restaurant should only let seniors in to dine at 4 PM and the general public isn't allowed in until 6 PM, let's say. Now if you mean offering early bird senior only pricing specials to encourage seniors to dine earlier when it's not as crowded, that's a different story, as long as it doesn't result in too many seniors making the place crowded because of the discounts. 4 AM? Forget it. Just get breakfast at a 24/7 place. They're used to those kind of hours.

You said in a different post that 65+ was 20% of the economy. Now it's 25%. Where are you getting this info from? It's vague at best and certainly varies from industry to industry and locale to locale. So if I understand your limited perspective, none of your friends are eating out and neither are you, so no one 65+ is eating out anywhere, and because of that and these percentages without a context or a source, it's going to be the downfall of the restaurant industry as a whole. Get out of town. I mean that, literally. If it really looks like that in your area, wow. You need to take a short day trip to see what's going on elsewhere. It might help your worries some.

In my area, very few restaurants closed completely. Most stayed open to provide carryout and delivery, even the ones who never did that before. I regularly drive by one independent restaurant that closed completely. It just reopened last week and they had several cars in their parking lot at 7 AM this morning. Restaurants here have to deal with essentially the same restrictions as those in your area. There's nothing unique about reduced capacity and 6 feet of distance between tables, among other things. If the restaurants in your area don't want to even try to reopen, I'm sorry about that, but it's not reflective of what's going on everywhere in the US. Seniors have been out and about getting carryout in our local restaurants since the shutdowns. I've seen them leaving restaurants with carryout. I've stood 6 ft. from them in the restaurants. Yet they don't, as a whole, appear to make up 20% to 25% of my local restaurant economy. Restaurant business fell off a cliff when most businesses were forced to close. Restaurant business came roaring back immediately in my area the first week that just a few select industries were allowed to fully reopen. Conclusion? Restaurants in my area get the majority of their business from working class people and could get along just fine even if everyone 65+ stayed home until there was a vaccine. It's nice that they're not all staying home though.

I didn't say you called anyone a snowflake. It was a general remark based on what others have posted. It's not all about you. That's the point.

I think the point was why would seniors be safer among seniors only? I don’t see why seniors would be safer with senior hours at grocery stores, restaurants or anywhere else. IME seniors are no better or worse than younger folks about wearing masks, wearing them correctly or observing physical distances.

Maybe seniors won't be safer at senior early bird hours. But if we seniors "feel" we are safer then we may be more likely to go out to eat thereby giving restaurants more business. My suggestion was to try to help out restaurants stay afloat. I hope I am wrong but I think many many restaurants are going under. The ones that make it have to very smart and creative. If a restaurant in my town starts advertising senior early bird hours--advertising we love seniors and we will make sure you are safe, etc.--I bet they pick up a lot of business. Why not give it try?
I am afraid restaurants who just try to do the same old things are simply not going to make it and I hate that.

Waffle House was featured on Bourdain.

You have to get the pecan waffles, a salad and a patty melt. You can be drunk as a skunk at any time and go there and eat this.

All this talk about Waffle House. I've never been to one, so I just looked at their online menu, complete with pictures. No. Just no. They could be the only restaurant open during the pandemic. Still no.

Dined in my favorite place the first night they opened, 2 weeks ago.

All this talk about Waffle House. I've never been to one, so I just looked at their online menu, complete with pictures. No. Just no. They could be the only restaurant open during the pandemic. Still no.

Oh no.... Waffle House is wonderful.... not dining per se, more just eating... but good food IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom