Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are You Ready To Return To Your Fav Dine In Restaurant (see Assumption in OP)?
I’d be back within 2 weeks 67 22.19%
I’d be back within 2 months 40 13.25%
It’ll be longer than 2 months for us 149 49.34%
I don’t go to dine in restaurants regularly 46 15.23%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Midpack, thanks for the info. But how is the public to know if a restaurant has an outbreak? There is nothing in the NC rules that allows the public to find out about outbreaks. There is much discussion in my neighborhood about restaurants with outbreaks, but then the restaurant denies it so what is a customer to do?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
In my state restaurants that have employees who test positive for Covid-19 are not required to report this to the health authorities or reveal this to the public. I am hearing that some local restaurants have had positive cases among employees--one is a restaurant where I have been doing take out. I called the restaurant and asked if they had employees test positive and they said no--but how can I be sure? What are other states doing on this issue?
I'm not aware of any requirement in Ohio that a restaurant has to report COVID-19 cases to the public. I'd be surprised if a business would admit it to a customer, if asked. They run the risk of breaching confidentiality of an individual's medical condition and exposing themselves to a lawsuit by the affected employee. Here's the CDC's position on it:

Considerations for Restaurants and Bars

Near the end of the page:

Quote:
Notify Health Officials and Close Contacts
  • In accordance with state and local laws, restaurant and bar operators should notify local health officials and staff immediately of any case of COVID-19 among employees, while maintaining confidentiality in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
I think the restaurant has to notify the other employees who are considered close contacts. Naturally, if an employee is suddenly absent for 2 weeks, the other employees may guess correctly that So-and-So is the one who has COVID-19. As long as the restaurant doesn't officially admit to it, they probably can't be successfully sued by So-and-So for illegally disclosing the confidential nature of their illness.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Midpack, thanks for the info. But how is the public to know if a restaurant has an outbreak? There is nothing in the NC rules that allows the public to find out about outbreaks. There is much discussion in my neighborhood about restaurants with outbreaks, but then the restaurant denies it so what is a customer to do?
You can't know for sure, like many things in life. You drive on the road with drunk, high, distracted or otherwise impaired drivers who could kill you all the time - just one of many examples.

We've been to a few restaurants in the past few weeks that make it clear they are taking every possible precaution, employees with masks, above and beyond spacing, hyper cleaning, minimizing contact, more disposable items, monitoring employees/sending sick employees home & notifying other employees, etc.

There are other restaurants where they obviously aren't or it's unclear, we won't be going back to any of them any time soon if ever. We've walked out of a few in the past few weeks because it was clear they weren't taking the CDC or state guidelines seriously. If you're in doubt, you have to use your best judgement - as always in life.

As an aside three restaurants in Charlotte closed themselves as soon as they discovered they had an employee with Covid-19. They were completely open with the public and their employees. A smart restaurateur will do the same to preserve their business long term. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...19/ar-BB15GAPc

Any restaurant that tries to conceal an outbreak and is then caught, may lose their business altogether once word circulates.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

There is a place up the street that was having a $8 chicken parmesan special today (and we love that dish!) but we haven't been going there since the pandemic because they aren't really enforcing the guidelines to our satisfaction. Too many people, too close together, and more, well, you get the idea.

So, we "reverted" to getting take-out and brought it home. It was great.

Louisiana was supposed to go into Phase 3 this coming Friday, but I just found out that will be delayed a month. Although New Orleans' COVID-19 situation is getting better, apparently as a whole the state hasn't improved enough to merit going to Phase 3 yet.

At first that was downright depressing, but then it occurred to me that most of what we enjoy doing is possible in Phase 2. We aren't really interested in being with large crowds of people and so on, which would require Phase 3. It is still so sad to know that Acadiana and other parts of the state are not doing well in their recovery.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

We've been eating out ~twice a week since the state (Texas) allowed the re-openings. One of the safety items here is to use one time disposable menus. Most restaurants have simply copied their regular menus onto 8x11 paper using both side. Trouble is they had to shrink the fonts to get everything to fit. I told the waitress today that I needed the over 65 menu since there was no way I could read that small font. She smiled and brought me "an original" full size menu...
Old 06-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #246
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
She smiled and brought me "an original" full size menu...
No mask?
Old 06-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

A poll taken on Nextdoor in my area is somewhat similar to this Forum's poll ( around 200 have people have taken the Nextdoor poll so far):

Ready to eat inside at restaurants 15%
Ready to eat outside only 14%
Only doing pick up/take out 52%
Only doing delivery 7%
Not using restaurants 11%

Restaurants in my area can only open at 50% capacity. Many restaurants have have not reopened yet (my favorite restaurant has not reopened--the owner says they cannot make it at 50% capacity and they do not want to do take out) and several have announced they are closing permanently. A few restaurants are doing a booming take out business. I am afraid it is going to take a long time for the restaurant business to recover.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
We've been eating out ~twice a week since the state (Texas) allowed the re-openings. One of the safety items here is to use one time disposable menus. Most restaurants have simply copied their regular menus onto 8x11 paper using both side. Trouble is they had to shrink the fonts to get everything to fit. I told the waitress today that I needed the over 65 menu since there was no way I could read that small font. She smiled and brought me "an original" full size menu...
The last time we went to our favorite restaurant, for the first time ever they had a QR code laminated to the top of each table, providing customers with a "no touch" menu. They also have menus xeroxed onto one sheet of 8.5x11" paper.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #249

Quote:
With HIPAA regulations, who is required to report to who?

Our has county with 212,000 population and 170 cases/6 deaths, and it is the state, that is reporting statistics. Our county commissioners and the county health commissioner has no information whatsoever on the caseload in our county, and they should be the first to know to take adequate action. Go figure.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #250
Give me a forum ...

10 restaurants and or bars here are not reopening and are for sale.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
With HIPAA regulations, who is required to report to who?

Our has county with 212,000 population and 170 cases/6 deaths, and it is the state, that is reporting statistics. Our county commissioners and the county health commissioner has no information whatsoever on the caseload in our county, and they should be the first to know to take adequate action. Go figure.
I don't know about your state. HIPAA means a limited number of management employees will be notified, not new or unique to coronavirus. Often it's HR unless there are staff medical professionals, or the direct manager/supervisor in a smaller org.

Unless it changed recently, in our state WRT coronavirus the employer is obligated to send the employee home immediately for quarantine and they cannot return to work until they've been medically cleared. The employer is supposed to immediately notify all employees who may have been exposed to the infected employee so they can be tested, without disclosing who it is/was (though often that will be obvious). Not required, but several restaurants near us upon discovering an infected employee do all the above, and then close for a few days to deep clean the entire restaurant. Restaurants are NOT required to inform the public if they've had an infected employee (that's why you should always take precautions as if you could be exposed), but some elect to do so.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't know about your state. HIPAA means a limited number of management employees will be notified, not new or unique to coronavirus. Often it's HR unless there are staff medical professionals, or the direct manager/supervisor in a smaller org.

Unless it changed recently, in our state WRT coronavirus the employer is obligated to send the employee home immediately for quarantine and they cannot return to work until they've been medically cleared. The employer is supposed to immediately notify all employees who may have been exposed to the infected employee so they can be tested, without disclosing who it is/was (though often that will be obvious). Not required, but several restaurants near us upon discovering an infected employee do all the above, and then close for a few days to deep clean the entire restaurant. Restaurants are NOT required to inform the public if they've had an infected employee (that's why you should always take precautions as if you could be exposed), but some elect to do so.
One of my nephew's bbq restaurants had an employee test positive. So they are closing for a few days, doing a deep clean and having all employees tested. The public was informed via Facebook and the local media. Not sure if others are doing that and if that is the law in AL, but I like the honest approach.

As for me......I'm at my beach condo and have eaten out 3 times in the last few days. First time I've eaten out since February. Lots of people out and about here. I've tried to keep my distance and keep my hands clean. Hopefully it's enough to stay virus free.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

NC just became another masks required state, that includes all restaurant employees. Masks are required for “people to wear masks while visiting retail stores, restaurants, day cares or any other places out in public if they cannot maintain a physical distance of six feet. The only exceptions are for children under 11 years old and those with certain medical conditions that prevent them from covering their faces.” It’s going to be a little tricky for customers in restaurants, but obviously not required while you’re actually eating or drinking (at least 6 feet from another table). I’m not sure how they’ll enforce the order, but WAY more people should be wearing masks in public in NC if we want to reverse the trend. Hospitalizations and cases are going up slowly, but deaths per day aren’t, so evidently the most vulnerable are avoiding better. And hospitals are at 80% capacity, 77% ICU, so not overrun yet?

Old 06-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #254

People ignore mask requirements in dog parks here. Unfortunately
Old 06-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
People ignore mask requirements in dog parks here. Unfortunately
Is the mask a "requirement", or just suggested?

We have only taken our dog to a dog park a few times, but each time it would have been easy to stay 20 feet or more from anyone else. Maybe yours are smaller.

Everything I have read (and no I am not going to search for it and cite it) says outdoor activities, not in close proximity to others, are extremely low risk.

Just today I saw a young lady walking along the road, no one with her, no one within a quarter mile, but she had her mask on. If it makes you feel better, fine, but there is no risk in that activity.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #256

It's all about location and density. In some parks and locales, 6 feet might not work. In others, 20 feet is easy. Most of these requirements vary by city/county/state in response to the results for that area.

But please, everyone, if we can, let's try to avoid the polarizing topic of masks. This thread is about restaurants.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #257

Our dog parks are quite large BUT masks are mandatory in California once you pass through the gates. Masks are mandatory when walking to restaurants / tables but not at the table (of course). And yes, I'm eating out

I'm not sure how to separate masks & dining at restaurants. If restaurants are cited for violations they could be shut down. A restaurant in a neighboring county has a 35k fine. Probably shut them down.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #258
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The last time we went to our favorite restaurant, for the first time ever they had a QR code laminated to the top of each table, providing customers with a "no touch" menu. They also have menus xeroxed onto one sheet of 8.5x11" paper.
We're seeing QR codes on tables too. I kind of like pulling up the menu on my phone if page is done well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
10 restaurants and or bars here are not reopening and are for sale.
We like going to a lot of smaller places and hole-in-the-walls. Unfortunately, a few haven't survived and have pulled the plug. Others have middle aged owners that have made a chunk of change and are making the decision to retire instead of dealing with the regulations needed to reopen even though they're so popular.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #259
Gone but not forgotten

In Sarasota and Mantee County Florida several restaurants have closed for employees having Covid . These were very nice restaurants who followed all the guidelines.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #260

I'm completely conflicted. DH played golf for 3 hours then went to an outdoor restaurant/bar for 4 hours with friends. He came home tipsy, that part's fine. But 4 hours in the outdoor bar/restaurant. Just the guys, hanging out laughing, talking...whatever. I can't decide if I"m OK with that. What if?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Closed Thread