Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Had A Covid Vaccine?
Yes, Iíve completed the recommended 2 doses 90 23.81%
Iíve had 1 dose, awaiting the 2nd 127 33.60%
No, but Iím anxious to get mine 108 28.57%
No, and Iím not anxious to get vaccinated 45 11.90%
Completed single dose version 8 2.12%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
The BMI comorbidity is my ticket for the vaccine. Just signed up for Pfizer#1 weds march 17 (wear green!)

In our Tennessee county, the BMI requirement is >30, I snuck in. Now I need to figure out how to get my 57 yr old wife signed up without asking her weight

I had covid in November and haven't felt in much of a hurry for the vaccine, but now it seems easy to get, so might as well...I am also past the 90 day window so could get covid again I reckon
I live in a >40 state too. I think Iíd qualify if it were 30, but Iím getting close to the 30 with recent weight loss. Maybe Iíll be <30 by the time Iím eligible for the vaccine.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 06:00 AM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post

I had covid in November and haven't felt in much of a hurry for the vaccine, but now it seems easy to get, so might as well...I am also past the 90 day window so could get covid again I reckon

Yeah, I had COVID some months back also (got through it with no lingering issues). I know the standard advice is to get the vaccine even if you have had it, but I've also read a lot of things (articles/studies done by virologists and epidemiologists) that make me pretty confident that, once you've had COVID, you almost certainly have "durable" immunity lasting for at least several years. So I am not in any rush to get the vaccine. Of course there are no guarantees, but my educated guess at this time is that I am not at any significant risk of getting a serious case of COVID anytime soon.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #183
Administrator

We had the cable guy at the house this morning installing a new broad band router. Young guy but he said he got vaccinated a couple of weeks ago. He had a GP appointment late in the day and his GP told him that they had had some cancellations and have 3 Pfizer doses left that were going to have to throw away otherwise.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #184
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Yeah, I had COVID some months back also (got through it with no lingering issues). I know the standard advice is to get the vaccine even if you have had it, but I've also read a lot of things (articles/studies done by virologists and epidemiologists) that make me pretty confident that, once you've had COVID, you almost certainly have "durable" immunity lasting for at least several years. So I am not in any rush to get the vaccine. Of course there are no guarantees, but my educated guess at this time is that I am not at any significant risk of getting a serious case of COVID anytime soon.
I'm also reading that...in our situation (especially if your body built immunity when you had COVID), the first vaccine shot actually acts as a booster since your body already is primed to attack/defend (strong reaction to the first shot in this case...no desire or need for second shot). I see various opinions on this topic and there is not much certainty of course.

I am thus leaning towards the one shot J&J and am in no hurry. In fact, there is such a lack of agreement on the issue of those who already have immunity, waiting seems prudent.
good read
Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

good read

A good read on the topic I just posted on:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/19/h...ngle-dose.html
Old 03-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #186
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought I was going to have a long wait since TX said people 50 plus could get the vaccine beginning March 15th, but I lucked out and got my J&J shot yesterday.

DH was at CVS to get his second shingrix shot. He asked the pharmacist if they had any covid vaccines, she said...yes, we have two (there were two no shows). He told me about it when he got home. I said...let's go, maybe I can get one even tho I don't have an appt ...and sure enough, I got the shot.

It's been 24 hours since I was vaccinated. My arm hurt for about 15 minutes right after she gave me the shot, then stopped hurting and hasn't bothered me since. I've had no other side effects.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

Texas just opened shots to 50+ (I'm 60), and my wonderful husband worked while I did going to all of the sties to find an appointment for me. He beat me to it and booked me for yesterday- WOO HOO - I was SO happy. We drove from Spring to Bryan, all was well organized and I was in and out in 30 mins. DH has already had both vaccines. The Bryan site had much less commotion (the Houston ones are sometimes a zoo), and even though I was almonst an hour early, they let me go on ahead.

My 2nd appt is already set for a month out. We both got the Moderna Vaccine. I cannot wait until the end of April, so we can go places again, and see our vaccinated family and friends.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #188

DW got hers yesterday and I got mine today.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #189

Our DIL and GD just drove down from 500 miles away to visit us and some other family. We both got our 2nd shots 2 weeks ago. It was GREAT to be able to hug both of them.
We will be seeing them Sunday at our son's place. DW will love to be able to hug her son
Old 03-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Older son, age 20, may qualify soon... he's applied for a job at the local grocery store. If he gets the job he'll qualify as an essential worker. (Grocery store employees are on the official list.)

I figure they'll open it up to everyone else sometime in late April, early May. At that point younger son and I will get vaccinated.
Can't change my vote - but my circumstances changed.

Our county expanded the eligible group on MOnday (3/15). I now qualify and was madly checking for appointments. Hit the jackpot mid-morning today for an appointment this afternoon. Got my first shot this morning. In a few weeks I'll get my 2nd... and will be fully covered by late April.

Older son got the grocery store gig. He has an appointment for Monday for his first shot.

So only youngest is out in the cold... until they open it up to everyone in CA.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #191
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had moderna #1 Tuesday.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #192
gone traveling

Got my first dose Pfizer in late February. Tomorrow I get shot number two. By Easter, I am fully covered. Interestingly, studies coming out of Israel based on several hundred thousand people, also using Pfizer, show 81% effectiveness after two weeks from just one dose, and 97% effectiveness from two doses!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:21 AM   #193
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I both got our first dose of Pfizer vaccine earlier this week. We get our second dose first week of April. She is 54 and I am 59. In Ohio even our 20 year old son will be eligible in 2 more weeks. Our 24 year old son got his first dose 2 weeks ago in Kentucky.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #194

Voted no earlier, but got my 1st shot 2 days ago.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

So does everyone have to get a booster shot every four months?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

You needed an option for scheduled and waiting.

My wife and I coach high school XCountry and Track. We are considered educators and it is available to us. She had her 1st shot (Moderna) almost 2-weeks ago and then we had a COVID scare as one of my employees contracted it. Thankfully, we are all negative so I scheduled mine for this upcoming Monday (Pfizer).

We work in finance so it is now available (we are in CA) to my employees also.

cd :O)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #197

All done, got both shots of the moderna. Feeling fine
Old 03-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #198

Voted no earlier, but got an appointment almost immediately after Texas opened up to 50+ this week. Got Pfizer #1 on Wednesday and have appointment for 4/7 for #2. Sore arm for about 36 hours was my only side effect.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
No one knows yet about booster shots but I have not heard anything about them being every 4 months. There will probably be booster shots for variants in the future but it is my guess that those shots will be annual or maybe every 2 years.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #200
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Nope.

There will be new shots due to variants that are so different this shot does not work well , but in reality I don't think these are boosters. As the thing we are protecting against is not the exact same as before. Unlike a Tetanus booster.

Just a new shot really, but it probably makes folks feel comfortable to call it a booster.