Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Had A Covid Vaccine?
Yes, Iíve completed the recommended 2 doses 90 23.81%
Iíve had 1 dose, awaiting the 2nd 127 33.60%
No, but Iím anxious to get mine 108 28.57%
No, and Iím not anxious to get vaccinated 45 11.90%
Completed single dose version 8 2.12%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't qualify yet, but just took my Mom (80) for her second shot today. She is very lively and does not want to shelter so I am very relieved. DH goes Tuesday for his second shot. So I almost feel like I am vaccinated too; I have worried about both of them a lot.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
Not available for under 65’s in Florida yet. Will get the vaccine at the first opportunity.
Floridians under 65 who have "high risk medical conditions" are now eligible.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...3rq-story.html
Old 02-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I won’t be eligible till my state enters into Phase 3 vaccination sometime in April or so. Did sign up my 78 year old Dad and he gets his second jab Mar 6th.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have not been offered the vaccine yet, between 60 and 65.

CDC advice on whether taking medication for an autoimmune condition makes someone high-risk is ambiguous. In any case, my Body Mass Index is slightly over 30, qualifying me.

More concerned about my wife, as she has several risk factors. She is also between 60 and 65.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Alaska opened up for 55+ with conditions. I qualified based on first responder volunteer.

I got the first shot of Moderna yesterday morning. I didn't have any systemic reaction through the night, but I woke up with the worst sore shoulder I've ever had from a vaccination with an obvious swollen spot. I take pretty much any vaccine offered and worked ex-pat in Africa and Asia, so I've had a lot of shots in my lifetime. This shot borders on downright unpleasant. Wonder what the second shot will do ? I have it scheduled for 3/27.

As an aside, I had to drive 50 miles for an open appointment and over night we had had a pretty good snowfall. The roads were snowy/icy. It seemed like about 30%-40% of the appointments weren't showing up, maybe because of road conditions. The vaccination site was a school gym. Hopefully they found enough passerbys to take the unused vaccine.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #66

In Thailand, the very first vaccinations began yesterday. I am not expecting them to be available to me until mid-year. I asked my hospital the other day and they donít know when vaccines will be available there.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post

CDC advice on whether taking medication for an autoimmune condition makes someone high-risk is ambiguous. In any case, my Body Mass Index is slightly over 30, qualifying me.

More concerned about my wife, as she has several risk factors. She is also between 60 and 65.
I think it would depend on the condition and the medication and whether it suppresses the immune system. For example - taking thyroid hormone is not immune suppressing. But many treatments for other autoimmune diseases do suppress the immune system.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #68

Iím in PA which has been horrible at rolling out the vaccines. Weíre under 65 but have conditions that put us in the 1A group. We registered on the county site and they keep saying 6-12 weeks. Few pharmacies have received the vaccines and appointments always show filled when we try to get appointments.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
DW and I (70's) got our 2nd Moderna shot 24 hours ago. It was 5 weeks after the first dose, delayed a week due to the TX storm.

We both have sore arms and, based on how I felt taking the dog for a walk this morning, I'm feeling slightly fatigued. No other symptoms so far.
Update: DW has had no other side effects other than a sore arm. My slight fatigue worsened to the point I felt very tired and slept for a couple of hours, then after 6 hours or so began to feel better. I'm fine now and hopefully that's the end of it.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-01-2021, 02:37 AM   #70
Administrator

Quote:

Hopefully your doctor will advise. My sister takes meds for her autoimmune disease, lupus, and she had the Pfizer vaccine with the only reaction being a sore arm and aches and pains for a day afterwards.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:18 AM   #71

When I took my 82year old mom to the mega site to get her first shot of Pfizer over the weekend I asked the health professional who was scheduling the second doses on how he reacted to the vaccine. I was surprised to hear he advised he did not get the vaccine.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 68, DH 74, we completed our 2nd Pfizer shot on Feb 9, with no side effects other than sore arms. What a relief. Most friends in our age group have gotten at least their 1st vaccine. It has become obvious that if you want the vaccine you have to be proactive. No one is going to come knocking on your door holding a syringe. We had to drive 2 hours to get ours (it was worth it) and so did most of the people we know who live in VA. People who can't (or won't) use the internet to find the vaccine are out of luck around here. Hopefully availability will improve in the near future.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #73

Tomorrow is the big day, I received a reminder text yesterday. I guess that means they have it. The Mrs. is envious. I guess sheíll get it in the summer.

Here in Delaware county PA distribution is quite a mess.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #74

I should say I was up early on the first day you could sign up. I filled out a brief questionnaire and by the time I was ready to hit enter I lost that slot.

I quickly picked another site and thank god it saved my information and I was able to grab another site...
Old 03-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #75

Quote:

DH takes Humira and his doctor told him that this made him high risk for Covid
Old 03-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This Covid vaccine poll of Texas voters by the University of Texas and the Texas Tribune is interesting when compared to the E-R.org poll numbers:

Quote:
...36% said theyíll get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as itís available to them, 28% said they will not, and 16% said theyíre not sure. Another 15% said theyíve already been vaccinated, meaning just over half have either been vaccinated or are planning to be when they can.
Looks like Texas voters are considerably more resistant to getting the vaccine than E-R.org membership.

One more reason you don't want to move here.

Note: the linked poll breaks down the results by political party. So put on your big girl/boy pants before reading and kindly avoid bringing any of that political falderal back here for discussion.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #77

Regarding the people who are not sure they will take the vaccine maybe in the end they will need a little incentive--maybe $25 or something. That will not work for the hard core antivaxers but may work for those who think it is just too much trouble to go and take the vaccine. Another incentive would be if a vaccine passport is needed to travel, fly and go to places like Disney World and professional sports.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Regarding the people who are not sure they will take the vaccine maybe in the end they will need a little incentive--maybe $25
Kroger, the country's biggest grocer, is giving all employees who get vaccinated a $100 bonus. I think that's smart, since it will probably bring some extra customers into their stores as well.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #79

Got my second Moderna shot last Wednesday. Had a sore arm as with the first shot but 24 hours after my second shot, I was not feeling quite myself. Late afternoon on Thursday, I took my temperature and it was 99F. Went to bed early not feeling too bad. Friday morning, noticed an itchy rash on both feet. Used OTC cortizone cream on them. Went for usual 9 km walk and feet were quite painful by the end of it. Early afternoon, I developed chills and then monitored my temperature as it began to climb. At 100F, took some tylenol. At 101F, took some ibuprofen then watched as fever peaked at 101.5 after which it dropped quickly. Had difficulty getting to sleep Friday night due to extremely uncomfortable itching on both feet. Finally oral benedryl seemed to help enough to get to sleep. Fever gone Saturday morning. No walks Saturday or Sunday as foot discomfort continued although lessened on Sunday. Other symptoms gone. Picked up and applied topical benedryl type anti-itching spray and got almost instant relief. Today, feet much better and otherwise back to normal.

FWIW, I didn't realize you could get benedryl in a topical formula. It worked much better for me at stopping the itching than either OTC cortisone cream or OTC lidocaine products. Plus it's probably better for localized itching than taking oral benedryl which has its own drawbacks.

I haven't seen a foot rash reported as a side effect of a vaccine. However, I had a similar foot rash after my second Shingrix shot. Hmmm.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Got my second Moderna shot last Wednesday. Had a sore arm as with the first shot but 24 hours after my second shot, I was not feeling quite myself. Late afternoon on Thursday, I took my temperature and it was 99F. Went to bed early not feeling too bad. Friday morning, noticed an itchy rash on both feet. Used OTC cortizone cream on them. Went for usual 9 km walk and feet were quite painful by the end of it. Early afternoon, I developed chills and then monitored my temperature as it began to climb. At 100F, took some tylenol. At 101F, took some ibuprofen then watched as fever peaked at 101.5 after which it dropped quickly. Had difficulty getting to sleep Friday night due to extremely uncomfortable itching on both feet. Finally oral benedryl seemed to help enough to get to sleep. Fever gone Saturday morning. No walks Saturday or Sunday as foot discomfort continued although lessened on Sunday. Other symptoms gone. Picked up and applied topical benedryl type anti-itching spray and got almost instant relief. Today, feet much better and otherwise back to normal.

FWIW, I didn't realize you could get benedryl in a topical formula. It worked much better for me at stopping the itching than either OTC cortisone cream or OTC lidocaine products. Plus it's probably better for localized itching than taking oral benedryl which has its own drawbacks.

I haven't seen a foot rash reported as a side effect of a vaccine. However, I had a similar foot rash after my second Shingrix shot. Hmmm.
You should report the foot rash, I have not heard of anyone having that, may be an allergic reaction to some ingredient in the vaccines. Are you doing the V Safe app?
Closed Thread