Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, the vaccine is NOT 100% effective in preventing Covid. A small percentage of fully vaccinated folks will get the virus but most who do will be only mildly ill.
And even more likely completely asymptomatic, yet still low in transmission threat to others.

I have heard you can be vaccinated and yet have traces in your nostrils that don’t affect you because it is so low but will register on a test . I worry about this when traveling to Europe.
But I do know when at my doctor today he said I would have no problems .

The Baseball College World Series currently being played in Omaha has been hit by Covid. A team from my area (NC State) was disqualified from the tournament and sent home early on Saturday. The NCAA did not require players to be vaccinated but stated that unvaccinated players had to be tested every other day and were subject to contract tracing and quarantine. Plus if a team had an outbreak then everyone on the team (vaccinated and unvaccinated) had to be tested and was subject to contract tracing. According to the local media, only half of the NC State players were vaccinated. One of the NC State unvaccinated players started showing symptoms last Tuesday and test positive for Covid. Several other unvaccinated players also tested positive. The NCAA allowed vaccinated NC State players to play on Friday against Vanderbilt. But on Saturday 4 of the vaccinated NC State players also tested positive and the NCAA then banned the team from playing any more games. I understand that the Vanderbilt team was fully vaccinated so they are allowed to continue to play, they play Miss. State tonight.

Many fans are upset with the NC State coach for not requiring all players to be vaccinated but he said it was not his place to require vaccines, that was a decision for the player and his parents.

One concerning issue to me is the report that 4 vaccinated players tested positive.

An update on the NC State baseball team that was disqualified from the College World series--local news reported that the 8 players who tested positive all had the Delta variant. I understand that one of the eight (he was unvaccinated) was pretty sick and his parents had to come get him and take him home.

An update on the NC State baseball team that was disqualified from the College World series--local news reported that the 8 players who tested positive all had the Delta variant. I understand that one of the eight (he was unvaccinated) was pretty sick and his parents had to come get him and take him home.

Interesting news on the Delta variant. Apparently, the mRNA vaccines are still very effective against the Delta variant. And the mRNA vaccines appear to create a long lasting immunity that will run several years at least. (More testing is necesary to solidly nail that one down.)

Not sure about the other vaccines. I have a Russian neighbor who went back to Mother Russia earlier in 2021 for a few months to see family and friends. They decided to pass on the Sputnik vaccine, and will get one in the States.

FDA Adds warning to Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-june-25-2021

The FDA releases vaccine information warning.
"The warning in the Fact Sheets for Healthcare Providers Administering Vaccines notes that reports of adverse events suggest increased risks of myocarditis and pericarditis, particularly following the second dose and with onset of symptoms within a few days after vaccination. "

AFIK this is a black box warning.

Ha, I guess my post vaccination behavior has been a little too wild and free! I have a cold. This is the first cold that I have had in over 15 months. I normally get 4-5 colds per year. One of the few benefits of the pandemic was no colds.

Regarding how to increase the vaccination rates, Gov. Justice of West VA said this today: Q: Do you really think those people who aren't vaccinated -- who as you said may be more conservative, may not want anybody in their business -- are really ever going to get vaccinated?" Raddatz asked. "What could actually put them over the edge to want it at this point?"
A: "Well, Martha, I hate to say this, is what would put them over the edge, is an awful lot of people die," Justice responded. "The only way that's going to happen is a catastrophe that none of us want.
"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/vac...lation-remains-unvaccinated/story?id=78654008

Last edited:
Regarding how to increase the vaccination rates, Gov. Justice of West VA said this today: Q: Do you really think those people who aren't vaccinated -- who as you said may be more conservative, may not want anybody in their business -- are really ever going to get vaccinated?" Raddatz asked. "What could actually put them over the edge to want it at this point?"
A: "Well, Martha, I hate to say this, is what would put them over the edge, is an awful lot of people die," Justice responded. "The only way that's going to happen is a catastrophe that none of us want.
"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/vac...lation-remains-unvaccinated/story?id=78654008

Not surprised. Could have predicted which friends would get vaccinated.

45 year old mother of two in MO died, after a month on the ventilator. She had refused to get vaccinated when her mother got vaccinated and had day or two of symptoms.

Yes, that was super sad. She thought her mother had a really rough time of it with the vaccine side effects. But they don’t elaborate what her mother suffered, nor what the “horror stories” of the vaccine side effects were.
https://www.newsweek.com/woman-afra...-delta-variant-i-couldnt-convince-her-1606660

This attitude pervades many things, including p*l***cs. To wit, "confirmation bias." An acquaintance of mine likewise refuses to get vaccinated because she's heard stories of bad reactions." When I pointed out that if she takes that into account, she also has to take into account all of the good stories of minimal or no reactions. To which I got the proverbial "yeah, but..." response. I gave up.

That must be more than just confirmation bias, it’s focusing on the potential downside which is very natural.

And that must then be weighed against the potential downside of not doing something. And many folks don’t seem to be taking that 2nd step. Or somehow have maximized risks of one and minimized the other, ignoring things like hospitalization rates of one versus the other. Or believe they aren’t being told half the story. Complicated!

Last edited:
Or she got bad information on social media, some of which are pushed by disinformation campaigns from other countries.

TX church organized a camping tour for youth.

125 infections out of 450 attendees so far.

Kids were in grades 6-12 so they have been eligible to get vaccines, well maybe not the youngest ones but most of them in this range.

https://www.newsweek.com/125-church-campers-texas-test-positive-covid-19-1606969

Probably sharing tents but otherwise most of the activities would be outdoors? Maybe they rode in on buses together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom