Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Related because the post vaccination behavior discussion has a lot of talk about the possibility of getting the disease.

The link in the text, below, goes to a Covid-19 treatment trial. If you get sick from Covid, they'll send you treatment medication Fed-Ex overnight. 17% of participants get placebo, but everyone else has a chance to maybe have severity and duration reduced. Free. Actually you earn!

That's in my backyard and now they finally talk about ivermectin.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #942
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I saw this quote from a poster in another thread and thought :
Quote:
The best to all in this post-COVID world.
The world is far from done with Covid and may never be.
Yes, seriously! Many think it will take to the end of 2022 if not well into 2023 to get most of the world vaccinated- those that want to be of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Saying post as in after Covid is here was most likely the posters meaning.
OK - good point.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #943
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Doctor says is is too late for an antibody test--if DH was going to get an antibody test he would had to have done it a few weeks after his Feb. vaccines but he did not know to do that--none of these studies were out then. He would just be getting one Johnson and Johnson vaccine now --this would be the booster on top of the 2 Moderna shots he had in Feb. I guess he would just show up at the vaccine site and ask for the J&J--not sure if he would be allowed to get it since his record shows he has already have the 2 Moderna shots. Then a couple of weeks after the J&j vaccine he would get the antibody test. His doctor admits this is uncharted waters but the doctor is concerned that DH is still at high risk for the virus. We continue to mask and social distance but that is getting harder and harder to do.
Unless your DH goes back to the same place, or has the same online account, they aren’t going to know that he has been vaccinated.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #944
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Unless your DH goes back to the same place, or has the same online account, they aren’t going to know that he has been vaccinated.

OK - good point, although another poster talked about the pandemic being over.

Even though it's free to everyone the providers still get paid by someone, if the hubby is on Medicare I would think it's going to get flagged by the system and denied.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #945
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even though it's free to everyone the providers still get paid by someone, if the hubby is on Medicare I would think it's going to get flagged by the system and denied.
Hopefully any denial would be for payment after the vaccination.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #946
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hopefully any denial would be for payment after the vaccination.

I guess the worst that could happen is that you got denied before..my provider had all that info ahead of time but that was back in the day when you needed an appointment.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #947
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I don't know about that - at least in Maryland the state has a database of everyone who has been vaccinated. It is what they are using for the vax lotto.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 06-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #948
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I don't know about that - at least in Maryland the state has a database of everyone who has been vaccinated. It is what they are using for the vax lotto.
Of course. But info goes into that database from the provider, not the other way around.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #949
Administrator

We are currently on vacation in Cornwall and today traveled on a service bus for the first time in over a year. We took the bus from where we are staying in Charlestown (where Poldark was filmed) to Fowey, had lunch and walked the coastal path back.

I’ve had my free bus pass since coming of age in February so this was its first outing. Also been drinking draft beer inside pubs this week.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #950
Give me a forum ...

How long was the bus ride?

Was it full? Did you get to open the windows?
Old 06-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #951
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Same here in NC. There is a record with the State that DH has had the 2 Moderna shots. His concern is that if he shows up to get a 3rd shot he will be denied because he has already had the first 2 shots, but I guess there is no harm in trying.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #952
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
How long was the bus ride?

Was it full? Did you get to open the windows?
It was a 30 minute ride, about one third full, which was about 10 people. No open windows. Infection rate in Cornwall is currently 8/100,000.

3/4 of adults in England have had at least 1 dose and over half are fully vaccinated. The ONS survey I was involved in recently studying Covid antibodies was released today showing 80% of the adult population having Covid antibodies in their bloodstream.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...-says-12328442

Quote:
An estimated 80.3% of adults in England now have signs of immunity from either a vaccine or having had the virus in the past, blood test results for the week beginning 17 May suggest.

This is up from seven in 10, or 69.9%, a month earlier.

In Wales, the figure is 82.7% in the same week - up from 66.8%; in Scotland it is 72.6%, which is up from 59.9%; and Northern Ireland's estimate is 79.9%, which is up from 68.8%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...vid-antibodies
Old 06-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #953
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Same here in NC. There is a record with the State that DH has had the 2 Moderna shots. His concern is that if he shows up to get a 3rd shot he will be denied because he has already had the first 2 shots, but I guess there is no harm in trying.
I find it hard to believe that a pharmacy can simply query that database without the patient’s permission let alone are routinely doing so.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #954
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New York is a few days away from 70% with at least one shot. Then they are supposed to remove almost all the remaining restrictions. 7 day average positivity is 0.5% statewide.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #955
Administrator

There was a concern that as the country moved down the age range that the vaccine take-up would slow down.

Turns out those fears were unfounded. Good news indeed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57409973

Quote:
More than a million coronavirus vaccine bookings were made on the NHS website yesterday - a record total
The NHS chief executive compares the demand, on the first day all 25 to 29-year-olds could book, to the rush for Glastonbury tickets
Old 06-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #956
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There was a concern that as the country moved down the age range that the vaccine take-up would slow down.

Turns out those fears were unfounded. Good news indeed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57409973
I expect that it’s because more people have personally seen the risks associated with catching COVID-19.

Our county vaccine uptake is pretty high and we had a bad outbreak in this area June through Jan 2021. Our county to the left had an absolutely horrendous Covid-19 outbreak last year overwhelming the hospitals and their vaccination rate is super high - best I’ve seen.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #957
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that a pharmacy can simply query that database without the patient’s permission let alone are routinely doing so.

The pharmacy is responsible for the safe distribution of the vaccine. If you present yourself for a covid vaccination I don't see the problem with them checking either the state database or your insurance. Pretty certain the consent form you sign gives them permission to do both.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #958

Quote:
The pharmacy is responsible for the safe distribution of the vaccine. If you present yourself for a covid vaccination I don't see the problem with them checking either the state database or your insurance. Pretty certain the consent form you sign gives them permission to do both.
Yeah I think if you took this out of the context of covid it makes total sense. Like...I would expect a pharmacy to do a check before giving out a flu vaccine - otherwise what if I had memory issues and went and got one every week? They are supposed to check.

But Harlee in your case, I'd go with your Doc's advice. Perhaps he can somehow prescribe one? However, if that's not (yet) the CDC's recommendation, it seems like a bad idea to try it on your own, and might not even help.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #959
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Yeah I think if you took this out of the context of covid it makes total sense. Like...I would expect a pharmacy to do a check before giving out a flu vaccine - otherwise what if I had memory issues and went and got one every week? They are supposed to check.

But Harlee in your case, I'd go with your Doc's advice. Perhaps he can somehow prescribe one? However, if that's not (yet) the CDC's recommendation, it seems like a bad idea to try it on your own, and might not even help.
Yes, DH says he is reluctant to go for the 3rd booster shot until the CDC approves. His research indicates that the CDC is looking at the issue and the booster shots for immune compromised people will probably be recommended in the Fall. In the meantime DH will continue to mask and social distance when indoors and I will continue to mask and social distance indoors to protect him. We have already decided to do this next winter during cold and flu season anyway.

This is why we need more people to get vaccinated--to protect people for whom the vaccine does not work and those who cannot get the vaccine (like infants and young children).
Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #960
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It was a 30 minute ride, about one third full, which was about 10 people. No open windows. Infection rate in Cornwall is currently 8/100,000.

3/4 of adults in England have had at least 1 dose and over half are fully vaccinated. The ONS survey I was involved in recently studying Covid antibodies was released today showing 80% of the adult population having Covid antibodies in their bloodstream.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...-says-12328442

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...vid-antibodies
I know the UK is trying to accelerate vaccinations, especially the second shot, because the vaccines aren't as effective against the Delta variant unless people have had both shots.
Closed Thread