Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 01:32 AM   #961
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I know the UK is trying to accelerate vaccinations, especially the second shot, because the vaccines aren't as effective against the Delta variant unless people have had both shots.
Thatís right, you need to be fully vaccinated to get to somewhere like 88% protection against the Delta variant otherwise it is only about 50% with a single dose. I listened to the Mayor of Greater Manchester (includes Bolton) being interviewed the other day where there is a surge of infections. Of the 168 hospitalizations most were unvaccinated younger folks, but a significant number were those with 1 dose and 3 fully vaccinated folks. He was asking that vaccines be diverted from other low risk areas to Greater Manchester to help slow the hospital admissions. The good thing is that hospital stays are much shorter than during the big wave of the Alpha variant due to the effectiveness of the vaccines and the fact that most of the infected are under age 50.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #962
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, this might put a damper on cruise resumptions... two passengers test positive and are disembarked... no clue about the passengers traveling with them.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...&utm_term=link
Old 06-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #963

Cruises are not on my list of travel for a year or two, at least.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #964
gone traveling

My old guys, breakfast restaurant lobby has finally reopened. Sometimes called the "Group of Useless Knowledge".

We have one member that is the conspiracy theorist among the group, (talk about useless knowledge) anyway, we had an exchange of emails among the vaccinated this morning and it was decided he is not invited to breakfast. I was slightly more lenient, being 15 to 29 years younger than others in the group, but it is fine by me.
No date has been set yet, this is my 3rd try to get the group back together.
It's looking better, I got positive responses this time.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Well, this might put a damper on cruise resumptions... two passengers test positive and are disembarked... no clue about the passengers traveling with them.

Probably a bad life decision to be on a ship where proof of vaccination isn't required.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:48 AM   #966
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can test and test and test, but if a very large group is together for a week, someone is inevitably going to turn up positive unless almost everyone is vaccinated.

Good thing they were requiring masking and social distancing in the public areas.

That doesn’t sound like much fun on a cruise. But I’m not a cruise person anyway.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #967

Quote:

What if these are false positives? That's my nightmare scenario. You get put off the ship in a foreign country that doesn't want you and you have to prove you're not really sick and then pay your own way home. Your cruise fare is not refundable in this situation and no travel insurance will cover it. I love cruising, but I won't be getting on a ship until I know for sure they can guarantee that I'll be able to get back home. I probably also won't get on one that doesn't require vaccinations for passengers as well as crew.

We're currently in Hawaii, and running the gauntlet of test requirements to get here was stressful enough, even though I booked everything as fully refundable.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #968

The NC Governor just announced a $16 million dollar lottery for any who has had the vaccine, to be broken up in 16 $1 million dollar chunks over the next 8 weeks. There is also tuition lotteries for teenagers. It appears that these lotteries are fashioned after the Ohio lotteries which appear to be successful in increasing vaccinations. The lotteries will include anyone who has been vaccinated in the past and anyone newly vaccinated over the next 8 weeks.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #969
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
The NC Governor just announced a $16 million dollar lottery for any who has had the vaccine, to be broken up in 16 $1 million dollar chunks over the next 8 weeks. There is also tuition lotteries for teenagers. It appears that these lotteries are fashioned after the Ohio lotteries which appear to be successful in increasing vaccinations. The lotteries will include anyone who has been vaccinated in the past and anyone newly vaccinated over the next 8 weeks.

Oh come now, don't even try to top the joint for jabs campaign!
Old 06-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #970

Quote:
Looks like my trip to SC to get vaccinated means I can't play
Old 06-10-2021, 03:44 PM   #971
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That a good plan since it includes those of us that went early for vaccine.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Looks like my trip to SC to get vaccinated means I can't play
But you will qualify for the SC lottery (if they have one)
Old 06-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #973
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But you will qualify for the SC lottery (if they have one)
I got my first jab in Alaska, my second dose in Arizona. Hopefully both come up with a huge lottery program and I get to double dip. It would be the only state lottery tickets I've ever had.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #974

And a second cruise ship problem...precautions seem to be useless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...2fdae3027978e6
Old 06-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #975
Give me a forum ...

Crap - fully vaccinated cruise? Hmmmm - seems like there may have been some fraud? I can’t read the article yet.

OK a private window worked.
Quote:
With sailings from the United States still paused, the voyage was seen as a way for Americans to return to a favorite vacation pastime at least relatively close to home. But despite a requirement that all passengers over 16 be vaccinated, the celebratory cruise couldn’t avoid the virus that shut the industry down 15 months ago.

Two passengers who were sharing a room on the ship tested positive for the coronavirus on Thursday, two days before the cruise was scheduled to end. The results came as part of required end-of-cruise testing, Celebrity Cruises said in a statement Thursday evening.

“The individuals are asymptomatic and currently in isolation and being monitored by our medical team,” the statement said. “We are conducting contact tracing, expediting testing for all close contacts and closely monitoring the situation.”

According to the statement, all guests on the ship were required to show that they were fully vaccinated and that they had a negative coronavirus test taken within 72 hours of the cruise leaving St. Maarten. Crew members are fully vaccinated, and the company says its protocols “exceed CDC guidelines to protect the health and safety of our guests.”
Breakthrough infections are so rare that it seems unlikely that two people traveling together would both have breakthrough infections even though they could have been exposed at the same time.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And a second cruise ship problem...precautions seem to be useless.

I wouldn't call it useless. There were two who were room mates and both were asymptomatic. Compare that to the cruise ship mess of March 2020.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #977
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Crap - fully vaccinated cruise? Hmmmm - seems like there may have been some fraud? I canít read the article yet.
It was required that everyone over 16 both be vaccinated and have a negative COVID test result within 72 hours of boarding. All crew is vaccinated. Two passengers sharing a cabin tested positive two days before the end of the cruise. Asymptomatic.

I suspect someone lied.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #978
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Crap - fully vaccinated cruise? Hmmmm - seems like there may have been some fraud? I can’t read the article yet.
Just another illustration that "proving" vaccination is challenging. The cards from the CDC are easily reproducible and I would guess that on a ship of 500 passengers...SOMEONE probably lied. And fully vaccinated? Apparently this means "95% of passengers were vaccinated" according to CNN. I'm sorry...wouldn't FULLY be 100%?

No paywall, same story: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...sts/index.html

Nonetheless, 2 positives out of 500 PAX and undisclosed number of crew members (Wiki shows 920-990 but probably not that many since they had a nearly 75% vacancy rate) is pretty darn minimal.

Quote:
About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #979

Quote:
Crap - fully vaccinated cruise? Hmmmm - seems like there may have been some fraud? I canít read the article yet.
Doubtful it was fraud. A certain number of fully vaccinated people are going to still get Covid. The bad thing is that the couple that tested positive is going to be left on an island and the question is how will they ever get home?
Old 06-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #980
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It was required that everyone over 16 both be vaccinated and have a negative COVID test result within 72 hours of boarding. All crew is vaccinated. Two passengers sharing a cabin tested positive two days before the end of the cruise. Asymptomatic.

I suspect someone lied.
Yep - seems the most likely explanation.