Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sunday, 10 days after our second shot, we visited my son (he and his DW also vaccinated) ...........and our 2 grandchildren. The youngest is not yet 3 and won't wear a mask, but everyone else did. Got lots of overdue hugs, and sat on the floor to play with blocks with the 3 year old. It was joyous.
In a couple of days, on to the other pair of grandkids!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Sunday, 10 days after our second shot, we visited my son (he and his DW also vaccinated) ...........and our 2 grandchildren. The youngest is not yet 3 and won't wear a mask, but everyone else did. Got lots of overdue hugs, and sat on the floor to play with blocks with the 3 year old. It was joyous.
Very nice. The way it should be.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
So happy for you! Your post made me smile.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

A cautionary tale:

I am a physician. We see COVID patients. The entire staff has had both doses of their vaccine. We take all of the appropriate precautions at work.

One staff member, who had the 2nd dose in mid January, got sick yesterday and tested positive for COVID.

The vaccine isn't a get out of jail free card. It doesn't mean you can resume all of your normal activities or stop wearing a mask and distancing. You are still at risk of catching it. You are still at risk of transmitting it to others. You're less likely to get seriously ill, but that's really the main benefit as far as we know right now.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
A cautionary tale:

I am a physician. We see COVID patients. The entire staff has had both doses of their vaccine. We take all of the appropriate precautions at work.

One staff member, who had the 2nd dose in mid January, got sick yesterday and tested positive for COVID.

The vaccine isn't a get out of jail free card. It doesn't mean you can resume all of your normal activities or stop wearing a mask and distancing. You are still at risk of catching it. You are still at risk of transmitting it to others. You're less likely to get seriously ill, but that's really the main benefit as far as we know right now.
Thanks for posting this and pointing out an example of why thinking we're bulletproof after being vaccinated could lead to an unfortunate outcome.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

5% is still 1 out of 20. Not insignificant.

JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:25 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thanks for posting this and pointing out an example of why thinking we're bulletproof after being vaccinated could lead to an unfortunate outcome.

Guess Iím trying to understand what the unfortunate outcome was. In his post he said someone with the vaccine later got Covid. But no description of severity. If he got an asymptomatic case of Covid then I say Ďso whatí. Sounds pretty bulletproof to me.

If vaccines donít solve this thing called Covid then what the heck will? Iím fully vaccinated and I feel pretty bulletproof when it comes to Covid. That is, as bulletproof as one can feel about anything I suppose. Itís almost like lots of folks donít really want this to end...paging Dr. Fauci.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Guess Iím trying to understand what the unfortunate outcome was. In his post he said someone with the vaccine later got Covid. But no description of severity. If he got an asymptomatic case of Covid then I say Ďso whatí. Sounds pretty bulletproof to me.

If vaccines donít solve this thing called Covid then what the heck will? Iím fully vaccinated and I feel pretty bulletproof when it comes to Covid. That is, as bulletproof as one can feel about anything I suppose. Itís almost like lots of folks donít really want this to end...paging Dr. Fauci.
Well he did say his coworker "got sick" and then tested positive for Covid. So the coworker is not asymptomatic but we don't know how sick the coworker is, probably too early to tell. I am almost 2 weeks from the second vaccine and don't feel bullet proof at all. I do believe that if I catch Covid I will not be as sick as I would have been without the vaccine. In my opinion we are just too early in the vaccination process for any of us to feel bulletproof.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I look at my vaccination as an additional layer of powerful protection that is always with me. And I can't mess up by forgetting about it, misusing it, or choosing to ignore it for the sake of convenience. It will have great value when one is in a situation where exposure to potential virus shedders cannot be avoided.

I am thinking of the recent Texas freeze. Imagine if a friend's family has no power at their home and you do. You invite them to share your spare bedroom in your cozy warm house with the windows closed and lots of air to share over and over and over again. I would think most of us would sleep better knowing that the vaccine was boosting our immunity.

I hope you are safe and well; neither imprisoned by anxiety nor liberated by foolhardiness.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #150

The coworker could end up being a long hauler for all we know.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #151

We will *never* be bulletproof, but at some point, you're going to be more willing to accept the risk.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #152

I would be willing to travel this year if we're allowed into some of these countries -- most of them are way behind in vaccinations compared to the US so that may not happen.

But if it means for instance, takeouts, reduced restaurant hours and closures of many indoor venues like museums and such, I'd accept that trade off and still spend some money.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #153

Quote:
I guess it depends on what is meant by normal activities. Once two weeks passing from my 2nd shot (got it today), I will undertake some normal activities. The mammogram I would have normally gotten 2 months ago, I can now schedule. I can go into Target to buy the one product that only they carry in this area and it can't be bought curbside. I won't spend the day leisurely shopping but I can walk in, find an item and buy it. The friend whose household has been fully vaccinated who also never goes out except to do pickup. I will visit her. Maybe I will get my hair cut (haven't been to a hairdresser in a year).

Those aren't all my normal activities. But, I have put off tons of things like that for a year. And with being fully vaccinated, yes, I will do them. I won't go to concerts, or go eat in a restaurant, or go to a bar (which I never did anyway) right now. But I do feel I can go to some of these other places I avoided for a year.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It is not yet known how much the vaccine reduces transmission. Thatís why people are asked to continue to take precautions. Bulletproof would be complete immunity and not able to infect someone else.

Reduced chances of getting Covid and very low chances of hospitalization or death is is huge improvement compared to no vaccine.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The person in question ended up in the hospital with chest pain. That's where the COVID diagnosis was made. So no, not asymptomatic. They are now out of work for 10 days and their spouse is quarantined and out of work as well (she hasn't been vaccinated and is 10 years older and at higher risk).

Vaccines will help solve COVID, but not until the vast majority of the population has been vaccinated. Right now, about 13% of the US has had at least one dose and only 6% has had both doses. We're not even close.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The person in question ended up in the hospital with chest pain. That's where the COVID diagnosis was made. So no, not asymptomatic. They are now out of work for 10 days and their spouse is quarantined and out of work as well (she hasn't been vaccinated and is 10 years older and at higher risk).

Vaccines will help solve COVID, but not until the vast majority of the population has been vaccinated. Right now, about 13% of the US has had at least one dose and only 6% has had both doses. We're not even close.
They had chest pain and while being treated tested positive for Covid. Do they have classic Covid symptoms. Current Covid numbers don't seem to support your last paragraph.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:05 AM   #157
Administrator

Up until the start of February our son was in our ďfamily bubbleĒ as he lives alone and close by, and wasnít going into work. 3 weeks ago he started a new job and has been going into the office so we have been isolating from him. In 3 weeks time we will confident in being with him outside in our gardens, socially distanced.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM   #158

I am at ten days post Moderna #2 and while my behavior hasnít changed (still masking, etc) my comfort level has.

Yesterday there were two instances where I had to interact with people wearing their mask on their neck, not covering their face at all. Previous to my second vaccination I would have either asked them to pull up their mask or, if it were a short interaction, just uneasily powered through. Today I just did my business knowing that I am almost as immune as Iím going to get, and itís the other personís problem to not be masked.

Because itís my duty to protect our clients, I have to be the mask police at my summer job and my volunteer activity. Itís nice to not feel the need to be the mask police everywhere I go.
Philliefan33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...The vaccine isn't a get out of jail free card. It doesn't mean you can resume all of your normal activities or stop wearing a mask and distancing. You are still at risk of catching it. You are still at risk of transmitting it to others. You're less likely to get seriously ill, but that's really the main benefit as far as we know right now.

That's the way I see it. I'm getting my 2nd dose soon, but I'm not going to change my behavior. Still going to wear a mask and/or distance myself from people. I see the vaccine only as a means to reduce severity of illness if I'm infected by Covid.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I have been pretty cautious, so our behavior will change significantly after our second shot.

- Will go around vaccinated friends in an unmasked state (ride in cars or visit inside homes, etc.).
- Will go into stores and not be in a huge hurry to get our stuff and get out.
-Will start going into restaurants again for indoor dining (might have to work up to this one).
- Will start hiking busier trials again and will only step off the trail when meeting other hikers on the trail (will carry mask, but will only mask-up if they do).
- Will start biking on bike paths completely unmasked while riding.

I would prefer to wait until COVID is completely over to take some of these risk, but I personally believe COVID outbreaks will continue within the US for many more years. We will continue to mask in public until everyone in the US that wants a shot has gotten one. To do otherwise would be rude IMO.
Mark1 is online now   Reply With Quote