Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 01:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

My parents (75) were actually more cautious in the first two weeks following shot #1, like why take any risk and screw it up now.
Had to laugh when I read this as that's exactly where DW and I are right now. We got shot #1 eight days ago and both immediately became more cautious.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 02:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post

Mod Note: This thread is about behavior after the vaccine, not the vaccine itself or its side affects. Let’s keep this thread on track please.
You must be fun at parties...
Old 01-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #23

Once I have both shots, I am hoping the stats in general will be allowing restaurants to be opened up for indoor dining (currently not allowed in Oregon).

At that point I am so looking forward to having some nice meals out. I am getting tired of McDonald's drive-thru lane! And I have had enough McChicken sandwiches to last me for a few years.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
At that point I am so looking forward to having some nice meals out. I am getting tired of McDonald's drive-thru lane! And I have had enough McChicken sandwiches to last me for a few years.
I hadn't had a McChicken sandwich in ages. Somebody told me they were 2 for $2 so I tried a couple the other day. Not that bad

Don't any of the better restaurants in your area offer pick up ?
I'm almost certain they do where I live.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Don't any of the better restaurants in your area offer pick up ?
I'm almost certain they do where I live.
Yes, they do offer pickup. Not the same as sit down dining with service! Also, I live 1/2 hour out of town, so by the time I get the food back home where I can eat it, I feel I need to nuke it to get the food hot again.

That said, I have done Applebee's pickup a couple times and enjoyed the meals at home. They have their take out packaging refined real well. Also, I do their two for $22 deal, where you get two entrees with sides, and also an appetizer all for $22, so end up getting essentially 5 meals for $22. One of the entrees I order is a Grilled Oriental Chicken salad, so no problems with that being a cold meal anyway.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Yes, they do offer pickup. Not the same as sit down dining with service! Also, I live 1/2 hour out of town, so by the time I get the food back home where I can eat it, I feel I need to nuke it to get the food hot again.

That said, I have done Applebee's pickup a couple times and enjoyed the meals at home. They have their take out packaging refined real well. Also, I do their two for $22 deal, where you get two entrees with sides, and also an appetizer all for $22, so end up getting essentially 5 meals for $22. One of the entrees I order is a Grilled Oriental Chicken salad, so no problems with that being a cold meal anyway.
There's an Applebee's about 5 minutes from me, I'll have to give that $22 deal a shot.

ATTN: Early retirement forum 'management'
Can you please do away with the ridiculous 'hot topic' warnings.
Good God!
Old 01-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
There's an Applebee's about 5 minutes from me, I'll have to give that $22 deal a shot.
Also, I have always been quite please with the consistent quality of Applebee's meals. Don't think you can go wrong with them.

And depending on your location, their "two for $22" deal may only be "two for $20", as prices vary by location. Go to their website, plug in your zip code, and check your local location menu to verify pricing.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #28

I plan to go back to traveling, eating out, in-person church, etc. All back to normal in my book. Except I’ll wear a mask in indoor public places. What’s the point of the vaccine otherwise? At least that’s how I view it. But I figured some people would be hesitant given the seemingly easy way they’ve adapted to the last year of isolation. To each his own. But I can’t wait. I’m 4 weeks away from that point.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I plan to go back to traveling, eating out, in-person church, etc. All back to normal in my book.
Travel, yes, I am looking forward to that as well. Looking forward to an around the country train trip, I so want to do that. Have already been going back to church, as our church has gone above and beyond in scheduling some extra services in extra spaces so as not to max out allowed occupancy in any one space. But when I go (with mask) I always sit in back, off to the edge, and never hang around afterwards to socialize. Just get in and get out. But the services do revitalized me nonetheless.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:36 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
There is a lot of emerging information coming out in the last few weeks concerning the many variants that imply we should basically be doing what we've had to do over these last 10 months for the foreseeable future, even after vaccine. This is going to take a while.
This agrees with the information I have seen, as well.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:36 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The title of that thread is "Covid Vaccine Distribution". Why is discussing post vaccination symptoms on that thread OK yet not on this "Post Vaccination Behavior" thread? I'm confused.
OP here. The behavior I wanted to discuss in this thread was the behavior of the vaccinated after protection had started kicking in. I was not talking about the behavior of the vaccine in terms of how it felt

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Had to laugh when I read this as that's exactly where DW and I are right now. We got shot #1 eight days ago and both immediately became more cautious.
DH and I are 6 days post the first shot and we feel the same way. No way I want to take any risks at all now. Of course, that means mostly just continuing what we are doing. We get curbside dining out pick up twice a week (a couple of places have your food on a shelf inside and you just go it and pick it up and leave). We get curbside grocery pickup every couple of weeks. Occasionally, get gas. Rarely have to go inside to buy something and we will do everything we can to avoid it until 2 weeks after the 2nd shot.

The riskiest place we have been, honestly, is going to get the shot. We double masked (clothes over KN95) and did our best to distance (lots of people seemed to feel 2 ft was good enough).
Old 02-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #32

In 2 weeks my wife and I will receive our second vaccine if there are no further screw ups in our state. Even so we will continue to limit leaving the house and will be using the same precautions as before the vaccine. Masks with an additional filter over our mouth AND nose, distancing at least 6 ft., regular hand washing and alcohol sprays on hands and masks, will be our practice for a long time until safety is established world wide.

However, I will sleep better and feel more comfortable when we do leave the house. I plan on getting a long overdue haircut, teeth cleaning, and eye exam. Eventually we will plan a few road trips and later start back with traveling outside the country but plan to use our masks and sanitizers as a regular practice. Not that many years left to enjoy life before spending the days that are left on the front porch rocking chairs.

Cheers!
Old 02-02-2021, 03:29 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am also looking forward to not being so nervous that I will catch the virus every time I leave the house to run an errand. Hoping to get my first shot in Feb or March. After the first shot, I may have the courage to increase my grocery shopping to once a week adding a couple of trips each month to the local food co-op for better produce. A few weeks after the second shot, I want to go to my favorite department store, antique store, and art gallery and maybe a museum - but of course not all in one day. A few neighbors and I may start back up getting together once a month for dinner or snacks in our homes, usually on the patio. Most of us are in Phase 1b but some are in a later phase.

I would like to visit my sister who lives several hours away (she just had her first vaccination) that I last saw Thanksgiving 2019. Other relatives live much farther or will not be vaccinated anytime soon. I will probably take a few road trips to outdoorsy places as I did last year. I don’t mind masks (always wear an N95 inside), distancing, hand sanitizer, etc. and will continue to take precautions as long as necessary. Can easily wait to later in the year or even 2022 to eat inside a restaurant, go on an airplane, or visit a large city. Besides visiting family and holidays, what I miss the most are concerts and music festivals but who knows when those will start back up or be totally safe.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

It will be awhile before I can get the vaccine. Once I am at two weeks past the second shot, I hope to take a little road trip. Also, I will be less hesitant to go to the grocery store. I will continue to wear a mask.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #35

We are scheduled to get our 2nd vaccine shot 2/15/21. I have already made appointments for a mammogram, dental cleaning and eye appointment beginning 3/22/21. I have not been to any health appointments since 2019. I still need to schedule a bone density, tetanus vaccine and have blood work done. I will probably schedule an appointment to get my hair done also. I have not been to a beauty salon since 12/19 and my hair sure looks like it has been that long. I might go back in an Aldi's and pick up some groceries quickly. We might be some road trips. We will do take out from our favorite restaurant again. They do not do curb side and there is inside dining.

I can't see myself eating inside a restaurant or traveling by plane for quite a while. I can't wait for the pandemic to be over.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I live in Canada and nobody seems to be vaccinated here yet. I can't wait to be vaccinated! It will give me the freedom to go to more stores (and even linger!), go hang out with friends, go out to eat, etc, etc.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
2. There is a chance you could become sick yourself. The biggest risk is the South African variant..
If we're talking about today and the short term, I would disagree that is the case for most vaccinated people. You are still more likely to get COVID from one of the mainstream variants than the South African variant or the Brazilian Variant because, while the vaccine is 95% effective against the mainstream variants, they are far far more common than those variants that the vaccines provide less protection against. I'm over a week past my second Moderna shot, but the SA and Brazilian variants have not even been detected in my state, yet. In time, if those variants take hold, you could be right.

Anyway, over two weeks since dose #2, and nothing has changed with my behavior. No family members have gotten two doses yet, so I'm not visiting any of them at this time. I have no vacation or travel plans. I figured I would go out to eat at a restaurant one of these days by myself. They are opened for 25% maximum capacity with social distancing and masks required when not at your table. It's considered fairly low risk even if not vaccinated. The number of cases in my county is in the low 40's. I mentioned this to someone else, and they told me it was "risky behavior".
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #38

Hmm. I don't know that anything will change for us, except to the extent that other countries will be more likely to let us in, and destinations/institutions in the usa will be open?

We've continued to travel and eat out since April; we mask as those near us do, and are getting close to 10 pcr tests each.
Have trips planned to Alaska next week, middle east in May, and Patagonia/antarctica in Oct-Dec--plus a few driving trips. Vaccinations (once we can get them) will likely assist in those trips, as well as Indonesia in early 2022.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:17 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

My 90 year old mother has now had the 2 shots of Pfizer and next week will be the end of her 2 week wait. She has made an appointment to get a hair cut next week for the first time in many months and she is very excited. It has really bothered her not to have her hair done every week. Unfortunately in her area mask wearing is not very common but she says she will continue to wear her mask to protect others.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:04 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

The main impact of vaccination, in our case, will not be on behavior, but on the psyche. The cumulative weight of being constantly aware of risk, of needing to be vigilant, will diminish a bit.

Behavior won’t change much. Even with the Moderna / Pfizer vaccines, at around 95% efficacy, there is a significant question mark on efficacy with variants, particularly the Brazilian P.1 variant which has been decimating Manaus, thought to have been near herd immunity.

So, for example - We likely won’t resume in-restaurant dining until the vaccine manufacturers have achieved a steady cadence of booster shot production, as with the yearly flu variants. We’ll continue to travel, but just as during the pandemic, we’ll wear N95 masks and goggles on airplanes, and stay in Airbnb’s or small B&Bs, not large hotels with common hallways and shared ventilation ductwork. Behavior will remain cautious for awhile.

But, the background awareness of risk will shift to an ongoing sense of relief. Even though we’ll avoid indoor spaces for the most part, like in-store shopping... we’ll at least have the sense that, if we chose to, the risk would probably be much diminished. Even though we’ll continue traveling... it will be with a sense of greater ease, rather than a constantly calibrated sense of calculated risk.

Physical survival during the pandemic is not that difficult, for those of us who are fortunate enough not to have to do customer-facing work. As someone observed - no one is being asked to march through the steaming jungles of Vietnam while being sniped at - all people are being asked to do is stay inside for awhile, and away from other people. But to constantly entrain one’s thought patterns for attunement to risk and risk mitigation is a cumulative weight on the psyche - and vaccination will lift that weight.
Closed Thread