Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks, I started feeling better late last night at about 32-36 hrs post vaccination. Hope Teacher Terry feels better also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Today I am among the living ��. I am doing 2 loads of laundry and took a shower. I was stinky after all the sweating and chills. I still have slight headache and sweating. I will definitely need a nap. Cancelled plans for tomorrow. Definitely makes me grateful that I never got Covid.
Teacher Terry, I'm glad to read that you are doing better and that you plan to nap and rest for a day or two. No sense in pushing yourself! There will be plenty of time to jump back into your daily activities, once you are feeling more energetic and normal again.

Ronstar, glad to read that you are doing better too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2021, 04:31 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Teacher Terry, I'm glad to read that you are doing better and that you plan to nap and rest for a day or two. No sense in pushing yourself! There will be plenty of time to jump back into your daily activities, once you are feeling more energetic and normal again.

Ronstar, glad to read that you are doing better too.
W2R have you been able to locate a vaccination for yourself? Hope so!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:43 AM   #243
Give me a forum ...

I guess I was lucky. I’ve had both doses of Moderna, and other than a very sore arm, I didn’t have any other symptoms at all. My arm slowly felt like someone had punched hard me in the arm, the pain peaked about 16 hours after the shot, but that was almost over by the end of the day after - about 32 hours? No pain whatsoever the next morning - 48 hours?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess I was lucky. I’ve had both doses of Moderna, and other than a very sore arm, I didn’t have any other symptoms at all. My arm slowly felt like someone had punched hard me in the arm, the pain peaked about 16 hours after the shot, but that was almost over by the end of the day after - about 32 hours? No pain whatsoever the next morning - 48 hours?
I had the exact same experience with Moderna. Just arm pain, no big deal.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #245
Moderator Emeritus

DW and her mom had dose 1 today. They’re now shopping in a jewelry store. Perfectly fine so far. 2nd dose will be 4/3. Day before Easter dinner at SIL’s. Hope DW and MIL are up for it.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday at 11. By 6pm had a massive headache. By 11 had uncontrollable shaking despite electric blanket and 6 blankets on top. I have literally spent all day sleeping unless eating. I guess it’s working). Still have headache and alternating chills and sweating.,
And "literally" typing on the forum.

Hope you are feeling better!!!
Old 03-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Q&A with journalist who tested positive after getting fully vaccinated:

https://apple.news/AWR5JT1pUQN-xCihSG8W_sA
Very similar to the PCR tests being about "95% accurate" for positive results. DW had one that was positive and then the next one was negative. She had COVID like symptoms and I have been around her darn near 24/7 for the last year. I never tested positive and two blood donations has shown zero antibodies. So, the 95% accurate is just that.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Unfortunately making it look long will probably defer some people. They should instead show that it is a very quick jab. Emphasizing that point can still make a good news clip.

They should have had Dolly saying - that was it?!?
Speaking the videos of the vaccine. Are the news folks trying to broadcast EVERY SINGLE SHOT given in the world? Sure seems like it!
Old 03-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #249
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Speaking the videos of the vaccine. Are the news folks trying to broadcast EVERY SINGLE SHOT given in the world? Sure seems like it!
No. Only the ones that are "news worthy"
Old 03-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Today I finally feel normal except for being fatigued. Still probably much better than having Covid. My kids were freaking out Thursday that my phone was off but I didn’t want to be woken up. Except as flyboy pointed out I was on the forum whining). My sister got Moderna today and is sick and my brother was sick for 5 days. Maybe in our genes?
Old 03-07-2021, 01:30 AM   #251
Give me a forum ...

I think that one post vaccination behavior will be trying to remember that I don't have to take all the same precaution. We are 12 days post 2nd vaccination.

For the past year we have had a mail procedure. When the mail arrives unless something in it is important (we have the email thing that shows us what we are getting), we leave the mail in the box 24 hours. Then we bring it in. I may open it that day but may not depending on what it is. When I do open it, my habit has generally been to open it and then wash my hands. I felt it might not be necessary, but it is a habit I developed over the last year.

So a little while ago I was looking at the pile of mail DH brought in this afternoon and I opened a piece of mail. Without thinking about it, afterwards I went and washed my hands. I immediately realized that I didn't really need to do that. One advantage of getting vaccinated is that I don't have to take that particular precaution (in my opinion). I will still mask in public and I'm not going to restaurants yet...but I should be able to open the mail 24+ hours after it is delivered without washing my hands.

The point is that you get used to precautions, even those you don't really like.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I think that one post vaccination behavior will be trying to remember that I don't have to take all the same precaution. We are 12 days post 2nd vaccination.

For the past year we have had a mail procedure. When the mail arrives unless something in it is important (we have the email thing that shows us what we are getting), we leave the mail in the box 24 hours. Then we bring it in. I may open it that day but may not depending on what it is. When I do open it, my habit has generally been to open it and then wash my hands. I felt it might not be necessary, but it is a habit I developed over the last year.

So a little while ago I was looking at the pile of mail DH brought in this afternoon and I opened a piece of mail. Without thinking about it, afterwards I went and washed my hands. I immediately realized that I didn't really need to do that. One advantage of getting vaccinated is that I don't have to take that particular precaution (in my opinion). I will still mask in public and I'm not going to restaurants yet...but I should be able to open the mail 24+ hours after it is delivered without washing my hands.

The point is that you get used to precautions, even those you don't really like.

This is going to be a big issue for some people going forward. Last Sunday DH and I at 15 days past 1st Moderna shot, were out walking on the Hiway. Unfamiliar vehicle drives by and turns South. Turns around and rolls down the window it DH cousin and wife, who we are very fond of. They are 80 miles from home. Turns out they both had 2 shots of vaccine and really wanted to get out. Drove in our direction and then chickened out about calling/stopping to see us. We talk in the roadway and compare vaccine status. Decide we can visit with little risk. When we get to our house we are on the deck. The men want to go inside but the ladies want to stay outside. Stayed on the deck since it was sunny. Both of ladies agreed that we are still really unsettled about seeing people and say that we thought we'd be more relaxed , and that it's going to take some time to stop some ingrained covid habits.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #253
Give me a forum ...

I am post vaccination. I was quarantining all items that came into the house--mail, groceries, packages etc. I have now quit quarantining items so that is a step in the right direction for me.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #254

Since our 2nd vaccine shot, we've done 2 new things. That is, "new" since the lockdown. We've now seen both sets of grandkids in their homes, with hugging of course. And last night, we decided to try eating at a restaurant.
Restaurant we ate at was sort-of outdoors, sort of indoors. Still too cold here in NJ, so we dined in the restaurant's "outdoor" enclosed heated tent. We sat at table right at the outside boundary. The tent wall is not air tight, and there was a bit of air continually coming through. Plus, we ate at 4:30 so the area was not at the legal capacity. All in all, we felt comfortable at this set-up.
Frankly, it was nice to do one more pre-COVID "normal" thing.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #255
Full time employment: Posting here.

We get our second shot next week, and I already have flight travel planned in late April. I am a little concerned about becoming a basket case in the airport and onboard the plane, flinching and twitching every time someone comes near me.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:57 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am post vaccination. I was quarantining all items that came into the house--mail, groceries, packages etc. I have now quit quarantining items so that is a step in the right direction for me.
So today I had leftovers from take out the day before. I had a small container of powdered sugar from the restaurant (for French toast) and I was going to eat just a tiny bit of it. Normally I would sprinkle it out then wash my hands. Today, I decided to be risky and didn't wash my hands since we had had the container for over 24 hours.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Your story (as echoed by my MIL and SIL) gives me pause for the 2nd dose which is due in a couple of weeks (also Moderna). I had a lot of fatigue from the first one and I am not interested in these side effects. The couple of studies of the effectiveness of just one dose also pushes my thoughts of holding off.
I wouldn't stress it too much. I had lots of warnings before getting the 2nd shot (Pfizer), especially after seeing a friends sister the day after her 2nd shot (Moderna - fever, chills, looked like s**t). After I got my second, I went cross country skiing the next day. No headache, no fever, nothing. I did make it an "easy" day in terms of effort, but that was only because I was being cautious. My friend on the other hand did have one day of impact (chills/some fever).

It almost makes one think "Why didn't I have that (normal?) reaction"?
Old 03-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
The few stories I’ve seen along these lines only further encourage me. I’m not scared of a cold. Just because it has the name Covid on it doesn’t change the fact it’s just a cold. IF you even get that. Thank goodness for the vaccine!
This.

I am not questioning the need to be a bit cautious in terms of variants, the ability to transfer COVID to others after getting the vaccine or other concerns that need to be understood. OTOH we as a society have lost all understanding of risk management and understanding that a lockdown, capacity restrictions, closings also have both economic, societal and health impacts. To put this in perspective, the Polio vaccine was 90% effective with two doses. Society didn't decide that it was still unsafe to have the children play outside and go to public pools or to not attend school after getting the polio vaccine. Life went on.

I would suspect that just like with polio and the Spanish flu long ago, we are getting close to that point. The best thing we can do is to get as many people voluntarily vaccinated as quickly as possible and then move on.

Early last February (while most we saying "no big deal", I was making sure I had adequate supplies and avoiding any travel or stores. I for one don't want a second year of isolation and no travel.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Well, my state is lifting its mask mandate and all restrictions. Many of the larger national businesses will keep their mask mandate (although usually they don't require employees to enforce it if people resist). Anyway, I will still wear a mask even in places that don't require it even though I am closing in on 2 weeks after the 2nd shot (I'm not going anywhere unnecessary until the 2 weeks are up. I will act more freely with vaccinated friends. But, until the virus level overall is down a bit (which I am not optimistic about now) I'll keep masking.

I am starting to finally realize I've been vaccinated. We get takeout a couple of times a week. I have been careful for the last year. DH opens up the containers and I get the food out without touching the containers (if I do I go wash my hands). Then once that is done DH throws away the containers and washes his hand. If the food has a sauce that is in a container or packet I will open it up and the sauce in a tiny bowl and use it from there. So I never touch the packet.

Well, today, we got Taco Bell and I started on all that and just forgot to put the hot sauce in a bowl (which I've done for the last year). I picked up the packets and was about to go get a bowl when I decided that 9 days after my second vaccination I could open the packet, squeeze out the hot sauce, without pouring it in a bowl and wash my hands after eating. It actually felt weird to me to do that. There is so much I have just avoided doing the last year. I am not going to go wild but handling the hot sauce packet is probably OK.

I was also quite tired after both doses. I had some arm soreness, especially the second night after the second shot. Bad enough that I took Tylenol which I rarely do.
The most dangerous thing you did in that post was eating at Taco Bell!
Old 03-08-2021, 07:13 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Unfortunately making it look long will probably defer some people. They should instead show that it is a very quick jab. Emphasizing that point can still make a good news clip.

They should have had Dolly saying - that was it?!?
I was thinking the same thing
Closed Thread