Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Which is why I don't get the flu vaccine. Got this one because many countries are requiring it to enter & 2 cruise corporations (NCL & RCCL)
The efficacy of each year's particular Flu vaccine is not known until millions are vaccinated, and the Flu rolls through the general population in the Flu season.

If somehow I knew in advance that the shot for the coming Flu season would be only 50% effective, I would still get it. 50% efficacy is better than 0 percent. Medicare Part B covers the yearly flu vaccine at 100% cost. It's a vaccination freebie. It takes me about 15 - 20 minutes at a pharmacy during a weekday morning. No crowd, I'm the only one there at that time getting a shot of any type. The only easier way would be for the pharmacist to come over and jab me in the night while I'm sleeping. But I'd have to leave the door unlocked, and I'd worry about the silverware...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 03:09 AM   #442

Got my second Moderna two days ago. I didn't have a terrible reaction, but yesterday I was definitely "off". Not quite to the status of a bad hangover, but fuzzy, achy, and tired. I took some great naps. Feeling fine this morning.
I have never been comfortable in crowds, or with "close talkers",. I will likely continue my COVID safe distancing practices, and wear my mask in stores. I don't find it a bother at all. Of course, I practiced dentistry for 40 years, so wearing a mask doesn't feel all that unnatural.

I am winding down my snowbird winter in Florida. I flew down here in late October, and there was plenty of distancing on a sparsely occupied plane. From what I'm hearing, I may well decide to drive home over several days. Not ready to fly in a jam packed tube. Vaccinated or not.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:32 AM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Got my second Moderna two days ago. I didn't have a terrible reaction, but yesterday I was definitely "off". Not quite to the status of a bad hangover, but fuzzy, achy, and tired. I took some great naps. Feeling fine this morning.
I have never been comfortable in crowds, or with "close talkers",. I will likely continue my COVID safe distancing practices, and wear my mask in stores. I don't find it a bother at all. Of course, I practiced dentistry for 40 years, so wearing a mask doesn't feel all that unnatural.

I am winding down my snowbird winter in Florida. I flew down here in late October, and there was plenty of distancing on a sparsely occupied plane. From what I'm hearing, I may well decide to drive home over several days. Not ready to fly in a jam packed tube. Vaccinated or not.

My wife and I had our second Moderna vaccine almost a month ago and we continue to distance, wear masks, and wash/sanitize our hands regularly. The only places we go inside are grocery stores and medical offices. Like so many others we had to cancel a few overseas vacations and are anxious to resume that before we get to old to travel. The vacations we take are usually with small groups or by ourselves so that is not as much a concern as being cooped up in a crowded airplane for 10-12 hours and walking in airports. With all the money we have not used for travel the past 1.5 years we may eventually start flying business class for overseas flights in the future.

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2021, 04:42 AM   #444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We just had our second Pfizer and this time it hit us with fever aches and lack of energy. I had to cancel my tri-weekly walk. Going again tomorrow.

We feel of sense of relief akin to when we paid off our mortgage! We will continue to mask and distance but not with other vaccinated people. We just rebooked our Duoro River cruise for next year and will spend over a month in various destinations while over there.

We sense that we are at the beginning of the end.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:45 AM   #445
Give me a forum ...

We have eaten outside at restaurants twice this week for the first time in over a year. The pollen was so bad it was not really a pleasant experience. We think we will go back to take out until pollen season is over --whenever that may be.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:42 AM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Preliminary data but 246 "fully vaccinated" people in MI contracted covid. There were 3 fatalities, all over 65 and 2 of them within 3 weeks of both doses.

The data is incomplete. They're doing investigations including genomic sequencing to determine the type of variant involved.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...us/7101678002/

Still to keep it in perspective, MI has fully vaccinated 1.8 million.
This is the first I've heard of fully vaccinated individuals dying from COVID. Up until now all I have heard is yes, a very small percent of fully vaccinated do contract COVID, but the vaccines protect from severe disease and death.

Granted, only a teeny tiny percent of fully vaccinated individuals died of COVID. So, I still plan to resume outdoor dining and will be less fearful of going into stores (masked).

However, it gives me pause enough to think twice about returning to my indoor group exercise class until we see more data. 🤔
Old 04-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #447
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Not ready to fly in a jam packed tube. Vaccinated or not.
Perhaps fly on a Wednesday as that tends to be the slowest day (traditionally) and COVID has made it even slower. We came back from ATL yesterday and the plane wasn't 1/2 full. The ATL airport was pretty dead and most of the restaurants were closed.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So 99.99% of the vaccinated people did not contract COVID. Good to know. Now I can go back to worrying about wild hyena attacks.
Personally, I am worried about the performance of Venezuelan Beaver Cheese futures on my retirement account.

I know of one person who got Covid after his first shot but about a week before the 2nd shot. He attended a mostly outdoor party where everybody swore they had at least the 1st shot. They let their guard down based upon that. But, one person did not. Thankfully, this acquaintance continues to be well enough to work from home and care for himself. I assume (yes, a dangerous activity) he can thank the first shot of the vaccine for this. He will wait for a few months and then see if the second shot is recommended for him.

IMHO, knowing what we know about how immunity builds over weeks and probably months, I think he was foolish to go to the party even though it was 'mostly outdoors'. Two weeks after his 2nd shot makes more sense to me.

I continue to operate at Yellow Alert, shields and phasers at 80%, and sensors tuned to any oddball readings that indicate a cloaked Variant ship might try a sneak attack.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Would you go?
Old 04-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #449
Recycles dryer sheets

Would you go?

I've been invited to a family get-together 11 days after my 2nd shot. All the adults there will have had at least one shot; there may be some unvaccinated children. I don't know all the details but if the weather is good, this will probably be an outdoor thing, but if the weather is bad it would move inside. Of course masks will be off to allow for eating.

Just wondering what all of you think about going? I will be close to full immunity but not quite there. I said yes but have had second thoughts; then had second thoughts about my second thoughts, etc etc.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBloom View Post
All the adults there will have had at least one shot; there may be some unvaccinated children.
I would not go to an indoor gathering with people who are not fully vaccinated (at least 2 weeks post their 2nd dose or J&J dose). As for outdoors, I would wear a mask and socially distance. When eating, I'd make sure I was distanced from other people.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #451
Give me a forum ...

I don’t plan to socially mix with partially or unvaccinated folks until community spread drops significantly, certainly not unmasked or sharing a meal, and definitely not indoors. If you all live in the same area and community incidence of COVID is low there, maybe it’s OK. But if folks are coming from several different locations - doesn’t seem like such a good idea. That’s my opinion.

Partially vaccinated folks need to be a lot more careful.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've seen a fair number of cases of COVID in patients who have only had their 1st dose of the vaccine.

Until you are fully vaccinated - 2 weeks post - and everyone else is also fully vaccinated, you should not be having gatherings, especially indoors or unmasked.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I've seen a fair number of cases of COVID in patients who have only had their 1st dose of the vaccine.

Until you are fully vaccinated - 2 weeks post - and everyone else is also fully vaccinated, you should not be having gatherings, especially indoors or unmasked.
Yup. As I mentioned earlier a middle aged guy I am acquainted with developed Covid after his 1st shot and before his 2nd. (This did involve some very intentional bad behavior by a coworker who said he had been tested when he had not been. I am told that three people got Covid thanks to the coworker. Not so good.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #454
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yup. As I mentioned earlier a middle aged guy I am acquainted with developed Covid after his 1st shot and before his 2nd. (This did involve some very intentional bad behavior by a coworker who said he had been tested when he had not been. I am told that three people got Covid thanks to the coworker. Not so good.
Maybe you already said this in another post, but how bad did he get? Just curious...
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Canada says they may need to stretch the interval between COVID doses up to 4 months, so it will be a while before I get fully vaccinated.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Maybe you already said this in another post, but how bad did he get? Just curious...
I'm a little short of details as I don't know the fellow well. And the story is a bit different depending upon whom I talk to. Basically, he was a about a week past his first shot when:

1. Somebody claimed to have tested negative, when he was never tested.
2. Coworkers got Covid from the non tested guy when they met in the office for some reason.
3. He has a very light case of Covid. He is staying at home to recover and not infect others. He is also able to work from home.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #457
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I'm a little short of details as I don't know the fellow well. And the story is a bit different depending upon whom I talk to. Basically, he was a about a week past his first shot when:

1. Somebody claimed to have tested negative, when he was never tested.
2. Coworkers got Covid from the non tested guy when they met in the office for some reason.
3. He has a very light case of Covid. He is staying at home to recover and not infect others. He is also able to work from home.
Thank you! Great to hear that the guy didn't get very sick, even with just one shot.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #458
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBloom View Post
I've been invited to a family get-together 11 days after my 2nd shot. All the adults there will have had at least one shot; there may be some unvaccinated children. I don't know all the details but if the weather is good, this will probably be an outdoor thing, but if the weather is bad it would move inside. Of course masks will be off to allow for eating.

Just wondering what all of you think about going? I will be close to full immunity but not quite there. I said yes but have had second thoughts; then had second thoughts about my second thoughts, etc etc.

Can they reschedule like 2 weeks out?

You are suppose to get some protection after one dose but around 3-4 weeks after that first shot.

Ideally all adults would be fully vaccinated and at least 14 days post the second dose.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don’t plan to socially mix with partially or unvaccinated folks until community spread drops significantly, certainly not unmasked or sharing a meal, and definitely not indoors. If you all live in the same area and community incidence of COVID is low there, maybe it’s OK. But if folks are coming from several different locations - doesn’t seem like such a good idea. That’s my opinion.

+1 I had my second vaccination about 2 months ago and don't plan on socially mixing regardless of others being vaccinated unless everyone is vaccinated, it is outside, I am wearing a mask, and have the opportunity to social distance. I will not be going indoors except to grocery shop with a plan to get what I need and leave or to the dentist or doctor for a required follow up. This week was the first visit to the dentist for cleaning in over 1.5 years and a third visit to the orthopedic surgeon for cortisone for pain management.
In all visits I confirmed their procedures for disinfecting the office and work spaces. However, at the dentist there was person who wore his mask in the waiting room but did not cover his nose. That defeats the purpose of wearing a mask. I made it well known to the dentist that I was not happy. I am so tired of people who have no concern for any others as they arrogantly and potentially put the health of others at risk.

Cheers!
Old 04-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post

Well statements like do not encourage people to get vaccinated....

I guess you will never get Covid if you never leave your house or see another person either.

Are you really saying that 11 days past second isn't "acceptable". from what I've seen you would have pretty high protection levels after 15 days after your first dose.

Are you telling me that at 100% fully vaccinated I can't go near an non vaccinated person/ It's not like people have vaccine tattoos on their foreheads.

Does the vaccine work or doesn't it, that's the question?

The more qualifiers we put on post vaccine behaviors, the less likely people are to get it because they are going to think the vaccines don't work..

To the original question, if it can be an outdoor gathering I say go for it.
Closed Thread