Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At some point the media is going to have to cool it with the "breakthrough" stories.

Or perhaps they should make national news of every person who dies in only a 25mph accident even though they were belted and had operating air bags?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #502
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
At some point the media is going to have to cool it with the "breakthrough" stories.

Or perhaps they should make national news of every person who dies in only a 25mph accident even though they were belted and had operating air bags?
That's funny. As long as the media continues to make money with their "if it bleeds it leads" way of doing business...it will never stop.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #503
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
That's funny. As long as the media continues to make money with their "if it bleeds it leads" way of doing business...it will never stop.
I know... I'm even sorry I clicked the above link.

In other news, my post vaccine behavior started at day 13 after shot 1. I met with a disaster relief group who were all past shot 2. I felt pretty safe. Then I got dragged to an inside restaurant and decided to take a chance based on approximate 80% coverage.

I'll do more events like this, but for the most part, I still want to stay out of indoors. I will go to Big Box Home Improvement more often, however. Building and making is keeping me sane.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #504
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I know... I'm even sorry I clicked the above link.

In other news, my post vaccine behavior started at day 13 after shot 1. I met with a disaster relief group who were all past shot 2. I felt pretty safe. Then I got dragged to an inside restaurant and decided to take a chance based on approximate 80% coverage.

I'll do more events like this, but for the most part, I still want to stay out of indoors. I will go to Big Box Home Improvement more often, however. Building and making is keeping me sane.
There are quite a few people here who probably don't appreciate our current way of living as we are back to doing things like we did in 2019. Yes, we still wear masks when indoors and around folks, but we are traveling and living life as normally as we can.

DW and I are almost 30 days post 2nd shot and are probably as safe as we can be without just staying home. Currently, the infection rate for our area is pretty low and our cases/hospitalizations have stayed pretty flat for the last couple of weeks (about 10,000 active cases statewide and 200 in the hospital with a state population of about 4 million). For me, the risks are pretty minimal IMHO.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #505
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
80 year old South Carolinian man dies after being fully vaccinated.

Suspicion is that he got infected in the office of a client he may have been visiting.

He was infected with the CA variant and at first, people were surprised that he could have covid because he had been vaccinated.

https://apple.news/A2mAI-K6xTn6KExX_OcX6eg
From the article: "Then a combination of his heart disease, prediabetes, genetics and bad luck led to Washington's severe infection and eventual death."

As a reminder: only 74 deaths have been recorded out of 75 million vaccinated. So, 1 in a million.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
From the article: "Then a combination of his heart disease, prediabetes, genetics and bad luck led to Washington's severe infection and eventual death."

As a reminder: only 74 deaths have been recorded out of 75 million vaccinated. So, 1 in a million.

https://youtu.be/KX5jNnDMfxA
Old 04-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Old 04-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #508
Give me a forum ...

DH had his knee replacement surgery this past Tuesday and is now in the recovery phase. He had delayed the surgery for over a year until we were both fully vaccinated and was in a lot of pain. I was nervous being in the hospital around so many people (all masked of course and I hope most all vaccinated). My DH was discharged the same day, did not spend the night in the hospital. They told us about 50% of the knee replacement patients go home same day now. They said it was due to Covid but I am sure there is the cost savings too. It was nerve wracking to bring him home a few hours after surgery, fortunately a friend was able to meet me at the house to help get him inside.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #509
Give me a forum ...

I get my second shot - next week - yay!

After 2 weeks I think I’ll get some long hair cut off and catch up with my dental routine care.

I had a much longer interaction with some sales people today - everyone fully masked and distanced. We had been putting off a major purchase for way too long.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH had his knee replacement surgery this past Tuesday and is now in the recovery phase. He had delayed the surgery for over a year until we were both fully vaccinated and was in a lot of pain. I was nervous being in the hospital around so many people (all masked of course and I hope most all vaccinated). My DH was discharged the same day, did not spend the night in the hospital. They told us about 50% of the knee replacement patients go home same day now. They said it was due to Covid but I am sure there is the cost savings too. It was nerve wracking to bring him home a few hours after surgery, fortunately a friend was able to meet me at the house to help get him inside.
The protocol is to get moving and keep moving, so they have been discharging knees and hips pretty quickly for a while now.
Here's to a quick recovery for him.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
Old 04-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #511

I get my 2nd Moderna tomorrow morning. I had it scheduled for Tuesday but had to work overnight the next night, and figured that was a perfect storm for adverse effects. It was easy to reschedule and I'm glad I did. I was messed up enough as it was!
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
Old 04-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #512
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
The protocol is to get moving and keep moving, so they have been discharging knees and hips pretty quickly for a while now.
Here's to a quick recovery for him.
We know many people who have had TKR and not one was sent home the same day --they had mentioned it as a possibility but as caregiver I was not really prepared. In addition I had to scramble to get his pain meds before the pharmacy closed and find someone to come to the house to help me get him inside. Then his leg broke out in blisters and I had to drive him to the surgeons office. As caregiver it has been pretty over whelming and now my back and knee are hurting.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:35 AM   #513
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
We know many people who have had TKR and not one was sent home the same day --they had mentioned it as a possibility but as caregiver I was not really prepared. In addition I had to scramble to get his pain meds before the pharmacy closed and find someone to come to the house to help me get him inside. Then his leg broke out in blisters and I had to drive him to the surgeons office. As caregiver it has been pretty over whelming and now my back and knee are hurting.

It's not the way either one of you wanted to begin your post vaccine routine.

But once that knee heals look out, fun times ahead.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #514
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's not the way either one of you wanted to begin your post vaccine routine.

But once that knee heals look out, fun times ahead.
Yes post vaccine and post knee replacement we want to get back to hiking, golfing and dancing! Ideally it would have been better for DH to have the knee replacement earlier but we wanted to wait to get fully vaccinated.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #515
Give me a forum ...

Earlier this week, I had my first major "That's why I got vaccinated experience".

I attended a small birthday party for a friend. It consisted of three older couples all fully vaccinated. The event was inside. About an hour after arrival, there was a knock on the door and the birthday boy's nephew, his wife and the wife's sister along with a teenage son arrived to offer their best wishes. They stayed for over two hours. There wasn't a mask in sight. At first I felt awkward. Leaving would have seemed incredibly rude, yet this was exactly what we are warned against. Then I remembered the vaccination and told myself this is one of the primary reasons I got vaccinated. Such unexpected events are bound to happen over the next year. It's this kind of thing that makes getting vaccinated very worthwhile. Yes, it was a nice birthday party. And, yes, I continue to social distance and wear a mask. I don't want to surprise anybody else like I was surprised.

FWIW, my friend told me later he did not expect the nephew, and he did not even think about Covid and masks at the time. How quickly we revert to normal.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #516
Give me a forum ...

It’s frustrating - until numbers are way down I really don’t want to attend unmasked parties inside someone else’s home. One on one visits are different. Mingling with someone else’s extended family indoors - no thanks.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #517
Give me a forum ...

"Vaccine passports" have become somewhat controversial in the US.

Some focus groups show if they were called something else like vaccine certificates or verification, then the opposition isn't as strong.

But it seems likely that some destinations will give fully vaccinated travelers an exemption from being quarantined. Some possible destinations allowing vaccinated tourists in include Hawaii, Iceland and Greece.

Maldives will not only allow vaccinated people in, they will offer vaccination on arrival.

More controversial is the notion that vaccine documentation will be required for some venues like restaurants or sporing events. Critics say it would be invasive to request documentation of vaccination status or impinging on rights to deny people entry into certain venues, run by private parties.

I don't have problems showing public or private entities that I've been vaccinated, as long as doing so is required for access to goods and services that I want access to.

In fact, if the destinations to which I want to travel require me to wear masks all the time, I can decide whether to visit under those conditions.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #518
Give me a forum ...

No one was crying outrage when venues or travel required testing on site and/or recent test results.

Showing vaccine papers is a lot less trouble.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #519
Give me a forum ...

Duke University is going to require that all students have been fully vaccinated in order to come on campus next fall.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #520
Administrator

Vaccine passports don’t exist. They are a media term. No one is asking for them. Nonetheless, I fear they will take over where “mask wars” leave off. Hopefully we can keep ER Forum free of another mindless COVID themed argument.
Closed Thread