Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Masks continue to disappear in retail stores in MD. Safeway still had over half wearing, and all employees I think. But Home Depot no longer has a mask sign on the door and only maybe 1/3 were wearing masks. Same at the local liquor store and local furniture store. At all 3 of the latter some employees were masked and some not.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #842
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Masks continue to disappear in retail stores in MD. Safeway still had over half wearing, and all employees I think. But Home Depot no longer has a mask sign on the door and only maybe 1/3 were wearing masks. Same at the local liquor store and local furniture store. At all 3 of the latter some employees were masked and some not.
Here in Washington we are well over 450 days into our declared Emergency due to Covid. One wonders when dealing with Covid becomes less of an emergency and more a part of our daily lives like wearing seat-belts. Have any other states actually formally ended their state of Emergency? Or never had one?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #843
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Texas ended their state of emergency in March.

Well, I take that back, apparently Abbott extended the state of emergency due to COVID-19 on March 6, 2021, but dropped all state-mandated COVID-19 precautions at the same time.

So I’m not sure of the point.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, Texas ended their state of emergency in March.

Well, I take that back, apparently Abbott extended the state of emergency due to COVID-19 on March 6, 2021, but dropped all state-mandated COVID-19 precautions at the same time.

So I’m not sure of the point.
I would guess that government mandates on the population are only a part of the emergency declaration. Think about natural disasters - emergency declarations frequently allow waivers of bureaucratic regulations, flexibility in spending (e.g., use of rainy day funds), use of the National Guard (e.g., to man vax centers), drawing Federal funds, waivers of 180-day school years, etc.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 05-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #845
Give me a forum ...

Well I figured it was for Federal dollars.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #846
Recycles dryer sheets

The wife and I are the space cadet couple since we not only wear masks but face shields too. We are probably the only couple w/ mask let alone face shield. We are in no rush to get away from using them since folks tent to avoid us which is a good thing. When grocery shopping we also wear gloves and just buy meats and veggies, everything else is curbside.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #847
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF63 View Post
The wife and I are the space cadet couple since we not only wear masks but face shields too. We are probably the only couple w/ mask let alone face shield. We are in no rush to get away from using them since folks tent to avoid us which is a good thing. [...]
Exactly! They are probably just trying to be polite. Our mask mandates and other coronavirus restrictions are gone, and suddenly almost nobody is wearing a mask any more (including us). Well, maybe 10% wear them. But anyway, when I see somebody with a mask on, I try to keep my distance in order to be as considerate as I can. It's not meant as an insult, but just trying to practice good manners.

Our governor didn't lift the state of emergency either, but he stated (or at least heavily implied?) that this was so that the federal money wouldn't get shut down. Also he said that if things got worse then the state of emergency would allow him to put the mandates back in place quickly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
when I see somebody with a mask on, I try to keep my distance in order to be as considerate as I can. It's not meant as an insult, but just trying to practice good manners.
Yes, I still see people walking alone in my neighborhood, at least a block or two from any other person, and wearing a mask. It's obviously something that makes them feel more comfortable, and definitely not anything to be derisive about.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Lover View Post
Time2, I'm jealous of your good fortune at the courthouse (may I have as good luck tomorrow ). My good manners prevent me from making a comment about older and/or visiting drivers in the Sunshine State, but I got a chuckle about your comment. (I grew up in Miami/Hollywood, so I learned to drive in FL! ).

I was mixed about it, I have been on two juries before and both were interesting cases, so I kinda did want to serve, but also didn't.
I'm 66 so ya, older Florida driver, but the jokes are still funny. I'm the one running around with my turn signal still on. OK, not anymore, I installed a beeper on the blinker so I can hear it, the clicker just wasn't loud enough.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #850
Give me a forum ...

Our local county health department has new figures out. While the infection rate is still higher than they would like, about the same as September 2020, 97% of the new infections are among the unvaccinated. This group includes those who have conditions that prevent them from being safely vaccinated, or immune systems that don't react strongly enough to the vaccine. But, the great majority in the group simply have chosen not to get the shot.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #851
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Our local county health department has new figures out. While the infection rate is still higher than they would like, about the same as September 2020, 97% of the new infections are among the unvaccinated. This group includes those who have conditions that prevent them from being safely vaccinated, or immune systems that don't react strongly enough to the vaccine. But, the great majority in the group simply have chosen not to get the shot.
I have no sympathy for people who chose not to get vaccinated and got COVID (At least, they knew that that could happen). I feel for people who didn't get protected even with the vaccine (due to their compromised immune system). I hope they can get some kind of antibody treatment to boost their immunity.

I didn't realize that some people have conditions that prevent them from being safely vaccinated though. Is it due to allergic reactions to vaccine ingredients? I imagine the people who got into an anaphylactic shock after getting the jab probably won't get the 2nd jab, but I don't know any other groups of people who can't get safely vaccinated. Do you happen to know who?
Old 05-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #852
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I have no sympathy for people who chose not to get vaccinated and got COVID (At least, they knew that that could happen). I feel for people who didn't get protected even with the vaccine (due to their compromised immune system). I hope they can get some kind of antibody treatment to boost their immunity.

I didn't realize that some people have conditions that prevent them from being safely vaccinated though. Is it due to allergic reactions to vaccine ingredients? I imagine the people who got into an anaphylactic shock after getting the jab probably won't get the 2nd jab, but I don't know any other groups of people who can't get safely vaccinated. Do you happen to know who?
My sister in law is undergoing breast cancer treatment, radiation and chemotherapy. Her GP and oncologist both have recommended the wait a few months until she finishes the current round of treatments before she gets the Covid vaccine. So there is an example of someone who cannot get the vaccine now. Children under age 12 do not qualify for the vaccine (it is my guess that most children will eventually be able to get the vaccine but newborns may never qualify for the vaccine). It is not a large percentage of the population but there are definitely some people who cannot get the vaccine. That is why we really need herd immunity. Now as to those who just refuse to get the vaccine--that is a different story
Old 05-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #853
Moderator Emeritus

I've been to a few stores in the last few days. Mask mandates are gradually changing around here, but not every establishment has changed to no mask yet.

Menards home improvement - Now allow vaccinated people in without masks - except employees

Macy's - still need masks
Binny's Beverage Depot - still need masks
Woodcraft woodworking store - still need masks
Jersey Mikes sub shop - still need masks

Our small town grocery store - Now allowing vaccinated people in without masks - except employees
Old 05-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I didn't realize that some people have conditions that prevent them from being safely vaccinated though.
My cousin, who sadly passed away last week, spent multiple days getting up early and trying his best to get a vaccine when they first became available. He finally got an appointment and was excited, and then his oncologist told him he definitely shouldn't get the vaccine due to his cancer and overall condition. He felt the risk wasn't worth the potential benefit. The shot would possibly do more harm than good.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
My cousin, who sadly passed away last week, spent multiple days getting up early and trying his best to get a vaccine when they first became available. He finally got an appointment and was excited, and then his oncologist told him he definitely shouldn't get the vaccine due to his cancer and overall condition. He felt the risk wasn't worth the potential benefit. The shot would possibly do more harm than good.
A co-worker's oncologist also recommended against it for her.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #856

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
A co-worker's oncologist also recommended against it for her.
And it's not that the shots are particularly dangerous - they're not - but if your immune system is greatly suppressed by disease or treatment for disease, the shot just won't work so why risk the potential after effects for no benefit?
Old 05-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #857

About half the people in the stores I visited weren't wearing masks a couple days ago. That's the first time I didn't wear one into a store, and I've been vaccinated since December. I still have to wear one in the common areas at work (unless eating) but not in my office.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #858
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... But anyway, when I see somebody with a mask on, I try to keep my distance in order to be as considerate as I can. It's not meant as an insult, but just trying to practice good manners. ...
I've been thinking about this lately. I'm fully vaccinated and some mask restrictions have been lifted here in IL, and I like being able to go w/o the mask. It's just more comfortable, and I like to see peoples facial expressions (well, the smiles anyhow!), and to be able to hear them speak easier.

At Home Depot the other day, I have my mask around my neck (I bring it, just in case the rules change or someone makes an issue of it). After all, this is a BIG BOX store, with high ceilings, and most of the time no one is within 20 feet of me.

But I get to the cashier, and they are required to wear masks, and they don't know if I'm really fully vaccinated or not, and they run the risk of coming into contact with hundreds of people a day.

So I think you have a good point - out of consideration, I'll wear the mask at the checkout counter, or if have to be close to people with masks for more than a few seconds if I can't maintain a distance. It's not that much of a hardship, if it makes them feel better, I'm good with it.

-ERD50
Old 05-30-2021, 12:33 AM   #859
Give me a forum ...

Stores here still say mask required for entry. Everybody all got masks on. Still see people driving in cars alone with mask on.

I've never been that scared.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:57 AM   #860
Recycles dryer sheets

In stores, businesses: I wear my mask out of respect for the workers and anyone I may encounter who doesnt know I am fully vaccinated. It's a very simple thing to wear a mask.
Closed Thread