Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 04:31 AM   #881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH is the same--immune compromised due to autoimmune disease. He catches any virus that comes around, always sick with colds, flu, sinus infection, etc UNTIL THIS YEAR. In 18 months he has not had even a sniffle. This has been life changing for him, he has felt so much better and his life is such improved. So going forward we are going to do things differently. During cold/flu season we are going to avoid indoor crowds to the extent possible and if it is something we really want/ need to do we will wear mask (have not decided yet about gloves). We had quit shaking hands long ago. I will do all the same things because I do not want to pass on something to DH.
So are the Tar Heel bball games still on your enjoyment list and if so, would you wear masks to attend?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 04:33 AM   #882
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 05-31-2021, 04:47 AM   #883
Recycles dryer sheets

North Dallas area.

I have only worn a mask 5 or 6 times in the last month. Being retired helps, because I do not have an employer to require it.

It is up to the store/offices/gym whether it is required or not.

We also took a trip driving up to Oklahoma and never wore a mask the entire time.
Pretty much the only people you will see wearing them are employees that are working if their employer requires it. Of course if you go to a doctor or hospital environment, everyone will have them.

[MOD EDIT]

I keep one mask tucked into my wallet, just in case I need it somewhere.

Life will eventually return to normal for everyone.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:25 AM   #884
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
So are the Tar Heel bball games still on your enjoyment list and if so, would you wear masks to attend?
We have 4 season tickets to the UNC basketball games. We did not go to any games this past season, no fans allowed except a few students were allowed in at the end of the season. We are not sure what will happen with season tickets for the upcoming season. If we go to the games this year for sure we will continue to wear our masks. We have 4 season tickets so we could keep 2 seats empty that will give us some distancing.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:28 AM   #885
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtotravel View Post
Haven't read the whole thread so hopefully this post isn't off topic. DH and I have both been fully vaccinated for a few months now. DH is immunocompromised, like a kidney transplant or cancer patient is compromised. The foundation that supports research for his illness is now sponsoring several studies because it seems the vaccines are not very effective in people who have autoimmune diseases or have had a kidney transplant that require taking certain medications that suppress the immune system.

He signed up for a study but hasn't been selected (yet?) for the blood draw to determine if he developed any immunity to COVID. We also talked to his medical team who advised that we both continue to mask and avoid crowds, etc., basically act as if he has no immunity until science can help us prove that he is protected. So I guess masks are our new normal. Doesn't really bother me actually we were both healthier this year than in previous years before COVID.
We are in the same situation. Please keep us updated on the study. My DH (autoimmune disease) is trying to figure out a reliable way to determine if the vaccine was effective for him. We don't mind wearing masks either, we can't figure out what the big deal is.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:23 AM   #886
Administrator

This article from January this year suggests that the vaccines may not work as well in immunosuppressed or immunocompromised people so more studies are needed.

https://www.immunology.org/news/bsi-...munosuppressed

Quote:
While COVID-19 vaccination might provide a lower level of protection in people who are immunosuppressed or immunocompromised compared with the rest of the population, it is still very important that you get vaccinated as it will offer you a certain amount of protection against catching COVID-19. It is important that you receive two doses of the vaccine to maximise the protection that vaccination offers you.

COVID-19 vaccination will work best if you have a functioning immune system. For people currently undergoing whole organ or stem cell transplant and who may be severely immunocompromised, you should talk to your medical treatment team about the most suitable time to get your COVID-19 vaccination
Old 05-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #887
Give me a forum ...

Some cancer doctors are advising people getting chemotherapy to delay getting the vaccine until the patient completes chemo (that is the case with my SIL who is getting chemo for breast cancer). The doctor believes the vaccine will be much more effective once the patient completes chemo.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #888
Give me a forum ...

I had an interesting experience yesterday talking to several people who have decided not get the Covid vaccine. As some know certain states are seeing a bump up in Covid cases among the unvaccinated. As things open up, unvaccinated people are mingling more and more with other people, many of whom are also unvaccinated. Covid see this opportunity and is spreading among them.

Their reason for not getting vaccinated is simply that they believe their chances of getting a serious case of Covid and/or being hospitalized and/or dying are very very low. My impression is that if they saw a good friend of theirs get very sick or die of this illness they would change their minds. But, they haven't so they don't. Or, if they decide to travel overseas and the government of their target country says 'No vaccination, No entry' they will change their mind. Or if being unvaccinated interferes with their ability to earn a living they will change their minds.

So, maybe we are reaching a point where Covid vaccine is like the flu vaccine. Some people will get it but many won't and are willing to take their chances. I don't think they are going to change their mind because some government medical advisor, or celebrity or politician tells them they should. I should note not one person mentioned partisan politics as a reason not get the shot. They really don't care what some politician says, pro or con.

I am coming to the conclusion that it's nearly time to open up 100%, give the unvaccinated a month or so to get their shots if they are going to do so, and get on with our lives.

Perhaps making sure the vaccine is available to the the rest of the world is a better plan than trying to convince these holdouts to do something they don't care to do

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #889
Give me a forum ...

Chuckanut, did you get the impression that these unvaccinated folks would consider getting the vaccine if there was a monetary incentive for getting the vaccine or if they were entered into a lottery if they got the vaccine?. I have read that some states have seen vaccination rates increase when they offered monetary incentives and I see that California is going to have a lottery for vaccinated people. I know that the Governor here in NC is looking into some sort of monetary incentive to encourage vaccines.

My personal experience --my mother's CCRC was having hard time getting the staff to take the vaccine so they offered a $100 cash bonus to any employee who got the vaccine and now they have an almost 100% vaccination rate among employees.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:27 AM   #890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Chuckanut, did you get the impression that these unvaccinated folks would consider getting the vaccine if there was a monetary incentive for getting the vaccine or if they were entered into a lottery if they got the vaccine?. I have read that some states have seen vaccination rates increase when they offered monetary incentives and I see that California is going to have a lottery for vaccinated people. I know that the Governor here in NC is looking into some sort of monetary incentive to encourage vaccines.

My personal experience --my mother's CCRC was having hard time getting the staff to take the vaccine so they offered a $100 cash bonus to any employee who got the vaccine and now they have an almost 100% vaccination rate among employees.
That did not come up.

I susect the idea of an incentive has backfired. People may now be waiting to get an offer, especially if they think there is no big need for them to get vaccination any time soon. And, if you got your vaccine ahead of time, well... you are a sucker and a chump. What a goofy message to send.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #891
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
That did not come up.

I susect the idea of an incentive has backfired. People may now be waiting to get an offer, especially if they think there is no big need for them to get vaccination any time soon. And, if you got your vaccine ahead of time, well... you are a sucker and a chump. What a goofy message to send.
Maryland's vax-lotto is for everyone who already had or gets a vaccine through July 4. I believe it is a $40K winner every day, and a $400K winner on Independence Day.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 05-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #892
Administrator

Quote:
That did not come up.

In California they are making the vaccine lottery retroactive so that everyone that has already had a vaccine is automatically entered and is eligible to win.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #893
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most of the people who got vaccinated already had their own health concerns, or health concerns of their loved ones, or job exposure, or just didn’t want to be part of the spread. So I don’t think we feel like suckers or chumps. We were motivated for other reasons, and the vaccine was free.

The incentives do seem to be helping get more vaccinated.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:51 AM   #894
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Maryland's vax-lotto is for everyone who already had or gets a vaccine through July 4. I believe it is a $40K winner every day, and a $400K winner on Independence Day.
That's at least fair.

No such thing in my state. I suggested a one year delay in some of the many new taxes the legislature enacted this year, but that did not go over very well.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:16 AM   #895
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am coming to the conclusion that it's nearly time to open up 100%, give the unvaccinated a month or so to get their shots if they are going to do so, and get on with our lives.
We are opened up 100% here in Louisiana, AFAIK, and have been so for several weeks by now. We are only 31% vaccinated, which I believe is one of the lowest rates in the country. Tourism is back and our tourist economy is staggering back to where it was, too. So far, no problems have emerged, but of course time will tell.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #896
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That did not come up.

I would like to see a drop dead date for the vaccine - it's currently free. They could change that to it's free for adults until August 1st. Maybe that would motivate some.

But, the devil is in the details, as that would penalize those that are waiting due to other health issues.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #897
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
I would like to see a drop dead date for the vaccine - it's currently free. They could change that to it's free for adults until August 1st. Maybe that would motivate some.

But, the devil is in the details, as that would penalize those that are waiting due to other health issues.
Positive reinforcement works far better than negative reinforcement.

Many more people will respond to "If you do this, we'll give you xyz" than "If you don't do this, it will cost you xyz".
Old 05-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #898
Recycles dryer sheets

Found it interesting (and somewhat disturbing) that during Congressional testimony, the heads of the NIH, HHS, and CDC reported that only about half of their employees have been vaccinated! These are health professionals on the front lines of the fight against the virus. What could they know that might make them hesitant to get vaccinated?
Old 05-31-2021, 08:39 PM   #899
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienlord View Post
Found it interesting (and somewhat disturbing) that during Congressional testimony, the heads of the NIH, HHS, and CDC reported that only about half of their employees have been vaccinated! These are health professionals on the front lines of the fight against the virus. What could they know that might make them hesitant to get vaccinated?
They don't "know" anything. They are humans, with all the irrationality that brings with it. Stop trying to stir up trouble.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:05 PM   #900
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienlord View Post
Probably not much. Just because person works in medicine or for a medical institution doesn't mean they are experts in all areas of it.

These medical professionals you mention, may be experiencing the Dunning Kruger effect. They know just enough to have climbed to the top of Mt. Stupid. It's a long way down to despair and then a hard road back up towards enlightenment. I know. I have humiliated myself often enough making comments on subjects where I didn't know what I didn't know. That's why I said 'they may be ......'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dunning kruger mt stupid.jpg (121.5 KB, 27 views)

Closed Thread